Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Lee 430-310-RF?

Question New Lee 430-310-RF?

Got the new mold todays post and got to casting and then sizing but, gas checks don't stay on bullets and some times stick in the sizing die? On the few that the check stays on, it will spin with fingers. Sizing for my Ruger so using .430 dies and it's bearing on the side surfaces of the bullet well. What's going on here am I doing something wrong? Have cast for years with Lyman cast iron molds but, never for a gas checked bullet before. This is my first time with an aluminum mold. HELP!!
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    What temperature are you casting at?

800 or as high as my old Lyman 10lber will go? Don't use a thermometer? Had a hard time getting this mold to get warm also? Till I read their instructions about dipping the corner of the mold into the molten metal.
    Life member AF&AM 294

Moderator Emeritus

What do the bases mike? This should be a tapered gas check schank IIRC. Can you measure the check base with a set of inside calipers and see the difference? Sometimes it is check size and sometimes the mold has a small schank. If it is a small shank send it back with a few checks from 2 different lots and describe the problem. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Your gas check shanks are too small. You might be able to cast bigger with hotter melt, or with higher antimony allot. Otherwise you could have the shanks reamed a little, or you could send it back.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

I have the same problem with my lee 310 RF mould with the GC shank

hone out the GC shank just a tad and that will help.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with the previous posts, but suspect from your remarks about having trouble getting the mould hot enough that you are casting too cold. Lee's like a lot of heat, and the best boolits are frosty from the high temperatures.

You don't say what alloy you are using, but the higher the antimony content, the larger the diameter. Are you using some of the older Lyman gas checks?

I have the same mould, and I have to really press to get the gas checks on the shank.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Does anyone know what this bullets should mike at the shank for the gas check? I tried to follow their instructions closely but, maybe I didn't smoke this area enough? Sprues were cutting easily, bullet dropped from the mold with light tap on hinge bolt? I used Lyman bullet lube on the sprue plate?
    Question: Do I have to clean, smoke and lube this mold every time I cast, remember, this is my first rodeo with an aluminum mold?
    By the way, Thanks to the guy who made me the top punch for this bullet. I got an envelope that was torn to bits with no retun address with a Post Office type written label and had already deleted the PMs for it or I would have remitted your shipping costs?

454PB, Hornaday gas checks and straight wheel weights.
    Last edited by S.B.; 05-02-2008 at 10:43 PM.
    Life member AF&AM 294

There used ta be a sticky about gas check shank sizes. Probly still is.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy

Send it back

SEND IT BACK!!!! I had the same problem with a 6 banger and after trying to work it out with different alloys decided I shouldn't have to work on a brand new mold. I sent it back and the one I got in replacement worked fine. They did not charge me (only cost was shipping back to Lee).

Thanks Possum, Midway sent me a phone number for Lee last night and I'll call them on Monday. My thinking paralels yours.
    Life member AF&AM 294

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    There used ta be a sticky about gas check shank sizes. Probly still is.
    Where at, what forum or what's it called?
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

I tried a few more of these last night before resorting to calling Lee but, only got 9 to fit the gas checks(so to speak) out of a pot full of lead. So, I'm calling this morning.
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Buddy
    Let us know how it turns out, please.

Well, it's been closed to a week since I sent the mold back to Lee priority mail so they've had it for about 5 days now, and nothing yet??? My vacation ended this tuesday so I won't be able to do any load testing now.
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 05-14-2008 at 06:47 AM.
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    Anybody else out there "scalp" a Lee 430-310-RF? Mine works fine and the resultant boolit, weighs 270g, doesn't need a gas check and shoots very well without leading.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    My 2 cavity was ubdersize when I got it , did some Leementing and lapping and now it's a tad large on the gas check shank , live and learn , now I use plates to put on my lapping compound and wipe off the areas that don't need to be lapped , not a big deal to me and I had a mould that sized at .430 and dropped like gang busters . It only took me a few hours and I didn't have to wait for Lee or spend the money to send it back . Just the way I am I guess .

I got the chance to get a 6 banger from one of the group members and it only needed a little polishing to get it to drop nicely so the 2 holer kind of just sits there now .

YMMV

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Still no mold, so I called Lee and was told they plan on fixing my mold tomorro? I should of gotten back in touch with Midway, I'd have a mold back from them by now? Lee seems to be dragging their feet on this? I was told originally, that they would hustle it up and get the mold back to me ASAP. Isn't working that way? Maybe the end of next week?
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I suspect Lee is snowed under with mold orders. Give them time, and they'll fix your mold. I have the same mold, and the checks fit fine.

Boolit Buddy
    "Anybody else out there "scalp" a Lee 430-310-RF? Mine works fine and the resultant boolit, weighs 270g, doesn't need a gas check and shoots very well without leading."

Now this sounds very interesting...details..pictures ...please !
    Sounds like about a perfect bullet.