Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 x 57 hardcast loads

BUCKSHOT,
    Thanks for the welcome to the board,I wish I had more time to spend on the computer,as well as at the range shooting.We're getting ready for a gun show at Crown Point,In this weekend,hope to see someone from the board there.
    STREAK55

Boolit Master
    Streak55;
    It still seems a very high price for cast bullets, compared to the prices of major brand jacketed bullets in their lower priced lines, I understand the problems of shipping, I just do not understand why people buy something they can produce themselves at a much lower cost.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Price

Drinks, the cheapest jacketed bullets I can find are the Rem 185 bullets @ ~14 cents each + shipping. Streaks are less than 10 cents each plus shipping.

Boolit Bub

Heavy 8mm cast loads

Hey guys,

I don't recall seeing the Saeco mold in 8mm talked about. Mybe I missed it...I do get distracted at times!

Saeco's 190grn 8mm is a fine bullet in my opinion. My friend and I run these out of Turks and M-48 Yugo rifles. They just plain run great. This round and bullet combo has been the easiest combo to get super consistent results with great accuracy out of every caliber bullet combo I have played with. Typically we size the slugs at .325" and lube with Felix. IMR-4198 powder and a standard CCI primer. I believe the charge is 30.5 grns - no filler....I'll have to grab notes to be totally sure..... We have tried various alloys and found the harder Lyman #2 performed best for us. Softer alloys tended to give good accuracy but with higher Std Dev figures with spotty leading at times when pushed too fast. A good 2100fps and a tight accurate group (avg 1.5" five-shot groups at 100yds - benched scoped rifle)....what more can a guy ask for? I am no "super" shot - but for me - This is tight enough for hunting and plinking.

No animals fell to this combo yet....gotta get a tag first! The hunting alloy we tested that performed the best was just plain WW metal with no special treatment. Improvised media showed excellent expansion and good retention. I can't quantify more - as we were just playing around and were not taking notes.

Anyway - thought I would throw that out there for everyone. I do have one observation - I sure wish there was more load data for some of the molds that are easily obtained by us casters. It seems a shame to me to leave so much to educated guess work. It would be nice to have a manual for Saeco molds, (Lyman already does) and Lee and RCBS as well as NEI, etc. There are times when I feel "not as sure" about minimum and max load values as I would like - before the trigger is pulled. One of my little pet-peeves and wishes...
    Happy shooting everyone
    Eric

Super Moderator

............I does seem that the Saeco moulds getting talked about the most are the 30's and 35's. Without a doubt Saeco produces a super mould. So far as load data goes, very little of it is 'balls to the ball' if you'll forgive the phrase You can pretty much use anyones 180gr cast data for someone else's cast data of that or similar weight slug.

Even using jacketed data, mostly at their beginning charge or a bit less can provide a place to start. With cast there are variables that play a part in accuracy besides who cut the cavities in the blocks. So what the boolit looks like can play a part, but I personally think it plays a rather minor part after such things as the powder burn rate, charge, caseneck tension, alloy and lube.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub

Red face 8mm Cast

Buckshot,

I agree totally - in fact that is how I load when I do not have a "pet" load. Things that make me nervous anymore is some of the pressure trace talk and firearm disasters I have been hearing about lately. The phenomenon (spelling) is associated with cast bullets and "large" capacity cases and slow powders. I have the links stored some where in my mass of links. Anywho - I was just trying to make the point that if there was more load data specifically for these common available molds and the calibers they are associated with - then my assumptions and load practices would make me personally feel better. I think Lyman does a good job - I think they lack the "powder" selection most of us use but none the less they do a good job. Lee is good too, their data is somewhat regurgitated at times but they do good too - My issue with them is the powders they use are powders that I do not have! I could go on and on....but I don't want to steer this 8mm topic a-stray.

On that subject - Buckshot - what is your opinion or experience with the "8mm maximum" bullet you mentioned. I see there is a "dud" floating out there that a board member picked up in another post......I am interested in how this gets resolved - my purchase has been delayed pending on the outcome. Are the bullets "good" in the accuracy dept.? If you could please offer some insight I would appreciate it. I am interested in this particular bullet for a pet Turk project I have begging for a heavy cast bullet.
    Thanks Everyone!
    I seem to read more than I type at times....sorry for not being as active in the posts as others....
    Eric

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by ejjuls
    ....the "8mm maximum" bullet you mentioned. I see there is a "dud" floating out there that a board member picked up in another post......I am interested in how this gets resolved - my purchase has been delayed pending on the outcome.
    I sold that mold to another member. I did, however, after selling the mold, get an answer to my email to Lee about the oversized 8mm max mold. They wanted me to return it to them. Because they did that, I'm going to order another one from Midsouth. If it's way over sized, back to Lee it goes.

Boolit Bub

8mm Harcast

Sounds like it is worth me giving one a try too.
    My interest is the performance others have experienced with it?
    Worth a try though
    Eric

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12