WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Hi Tek coating for 6.5x55

Boolit Mold

Hi Tek coating for 6.5x55

Goodness talk about data rich, literally thousands of pages .... feeling a bit overwhelmed!!!

I have returned to shooting and would like to do it as inexpensively as possible, hence cast boolits (I believe this is the correct spelling)

Not too sure where to post this since I have a few questions so apologies if I have done the wrong thing!!

Sooo my questions, I want to develop a load I can use at the range and in the field... of course I had to choose a difficult cartridge (sod's law) the 6.5x55, it was the first "big rifle" I used, nostalgia reigns so now it will be my rifle. Anyway I am starting with a clean slate so I have an opportunity to circumvent some problems by buying the best options.

1. barrel twist vs projectile stability

- I am thinking of buying a crappy sporterised m96/38 for the action and stock and having a Tobler barrel fitted with a 10 twist, which I am hoping will reduce the high twist rate issues I have read about. Does this sound like a good tactic or am I better off with a Howa and an 8 twist which is the cheaper option. Will the slower twist stabilise the 100 - 130 gr jacketed projectiles which I may have to go to if I bugger up the casting escapade. Moreover is the difference between 8 and 10 twist not sufficient to really matter

2. lubrication/leading at higher velocities.

- I want to achieve at least 2000fps and anything beyond that will be a bonus. I have read that Hi Tek coating is very effective, and I want to use it. Remarkably there are lots of companies in the US offering it but can not find any in OZ... I've read Ausglock's posts on its use (thanks mate) and believe it will be the least mess alternative. I haven't started hunting the company down as yet but believe it is in northern NSW. I have found two projectiles with a number of lube bands the Lyman 140 gr (266469) and the NOE 134 gr (268-134-FN), are these suitable for Hi Tek, actually are these suitable for developing an accurate load.

3. Now this is where it gets weird... Lyman recommends fast powders for cast, whereas everything I have read on here and other sites suggests that slower powders are best for MV of 2000+ fps. I am quite adverse to blowing myself up so I was thinking of buying ADI2206H (equivalent to H4895 according to ADI) which Hodgdon reckons can be used in reduced loads without pressure issues. I will contact ADI to confirm before I try and get a nasty surprise.

As an aside I applied for my licence mid dec 2015, I am yet to receive it, worse still I then have to apply to purchase and wait another 28 days before I can purchase all this time missing out on some very cheap M96/38s... this is my welcome back from the NSW gun laws.

I do have more questions but better stop before this becomes a bloody novel

cheers
    Akis

Boolit Master
    G'day.
    I really think you are pushing the proverbial up hill with the 6.5x55 and cast bullets.
    But if you want to cast some and send them to me, I'll coat and bake them for you to try.

Your alloy will need to be bloody hard. probably around the 20 to 25BHN mark.
    Straight Lino or Stereo Type.

PM me.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

I don't know anything about powder coating, but am beginning to dabble in cast in the Swede. So far, my experience proves out that you can't go over 1500 FPS with cast and get any kind of accuracy.

About nine grains of Unique is a different story with a couple of different cast bullets I've tried, decent accuracy and I haven't begun tweaking any loads yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ausglock is right. The problem will not be leading; it will be getting accuracy at the velocities you want. The .308 will be an easier place to be and good rifles abound.

Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

I have only dabbled with cast in the swede. I have a 1:8 twist barrel. Lighter (thus shorter) cast bullets shoot more accurately for my rifle. I suspect they don't bend as much during acceleration, though that's hard to prove. Accuracy falls off Sharply for my rifle well below 2000 fps. My alloy is equivalent to Lyman #2.

I load cast in the swede for short range small game only. I haven't been able to get hunting accuracy and power with lead. Paper patch experiment was a miserable failure for me.

I would love to know the secret of making the Swede shoot cast accurately at hunting velocities.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Ausglock, Richhodg66, Don and Practical Man,

I appreciate your advice. Looks like cast @ 1500fps at the range and jacketed for hunting

cheers
    Akis

Boolit Mold
    Hi All

I'm back, and refuse to give up... no one has answered me regarding the 1-10" twist. Will the 6.5 behave the same as for example the 308 with 10" twist (I am well aware the 308 is quite different), my question is will the slower twist benefit the use of cast, since cast boolits can be driven quite fast and with reasonable accuracy in the 308.

If I can achieve 2000 - 2200fps with the NOE 134gr or the Lyman 266469 140gr with the slower twist, it will be more that adequate for my needs and cheap to feed, since I intend to put in a lot of range time.

Cheers
    Akis