RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Marlin 45-70

Boolit Buddy

Marlin 45-70

I slugged my barrel, I should have done this a long time ago, but it slugs at .4565 which is tighter than I thought it would be. My Lee 340 drops at .458 and I run it though a Lyman .458 die.. it ends up at .4575.
    My question is should I go with a smaller resize die? I'm not showing any pressure signs even with hot .405 sized at .458. Do you size right at the barrel diameter, larger, or smaller? I'm thinking it might be deforming the bullet when shot and sacroficing accurcy. It seems to shoot ok at 100 yrds and less, which is what I've been practicing at.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ken O
    I slugged my barrel, I should have done this a long time ago, but it slugs at .4565 which is tighter than I thought it would be. My Lee 340 drops at .458 and I run it though a Lyman .458 die.. it ends up at .4575.
    My question is should I go with a smaller resize die? I'm not showing any pressure signs even with hot .405 sized at .458. Do you size right at the barrel diameter, larger, or smaller? I'm thinking it might be deforming the bullet when shot and sacroficing accurcy. It seems to shoot ok at 100 yrds and less, which is what I've been practicing at.

No leading? No Pressure? No Problem! Did you measure the outside diameter of your bore slug or did you somehow manage to measure land height to get your reference. What is your idea of acceptable accuracy? My 1895 marlin shoots 2" at 100yds with an open sight and I'm tickled.

NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy

I measured it by rotating the slug real slow in the mic and finding the highest reading. There is no problem, but I wanted to know what is the correct way to use the slug reading, because next time I want to slug a barrel first and then order the sizing die.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken O
    Loading with a bullet .001" over sounds about right to me. How accurate are we talking?

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Ken;
    .001 to .002 over the GROOVE diameter is usually the best fit with cast bullets.
    I have done well with .001 , .002 and .003 oversize.
    If you are not shooting oven heat treated bullets or straight Linotype, there should be no problems.

Boolit Buddy
    I like .001 to .002 over groove dia too . i havn't noticed any differant volocity or pressure between ACWW and HTWW

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys, it looks like I'm about right then with my ACWW. I was looking at the group buy and it looks like .461 is what they are going with, this seems like too much to size down to for me, what do you think?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Ken, don't worry about sizing 45 caliber slugs. They can size down 0.006 with no problems whatsoever. You won't even see it. (Not so with 224 boolits, though!). ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Cool

Yeah Felix, I found out taking .325 down to .316 for commie crap carbines really does not leave any grooves for lube.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Drinks, first lube, THEN size. Hydralics can't be overcome by sizing pressure.

Boolit Master
    Waksupi;
    I shall try that, but the lube grooves are not very deep on the Lee 8mm bullet, taking it down .009 just about wiped them away.
    Last edited by drinks; 10-22-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Try Lee tumble lube.

Quote Originally Posted by drinks
    Waksupi;
    I shall try that, but the lube grooves are not very deep on the Lee 8mm bullet, taking it down .009 just about wiped them away.
    What can I say? Works for me.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."