Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Johnson controls lead pot temp management

Question Johnson controls lead pot temp management

The 1-10 dial on the lee 20lb pot is about as useful as a one legged midget in an *** kicking contest. What do you use to keep an eye on you lead temp while casting? I'm in the market and will buy something, just want something proven.

Boolit Man
    Use a PID. It is a temperature control with probe that accurately controls the temp of your lead. Do a search for PIF or http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...o-4-20-furnace

You can build your own or buy one.

Thanks, right now I have a temp probe on my Klein CL200 meter, which is pretty accurate, but it doesnt regulate temp the way I'd like to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	161674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	161675

Boolit Grand Master

Manage or monitor temp? A cheap casting thermometer works fine for monitoring. I was able to keep the Lee pot w/in around 30 degrees w/ one. Otherwise build or buy a PID.

There is nothing wrong w/ the control on the Lee pot. It's not designed to hold a particular temperature.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have accurately controlled temp to cast many thousands and thousands of boolits for years with a 4-20 pot.....NO PID. Lead temp is not that critical. A good lead pot thermometer is all you need. I just set my pot dial to 6 or 6.5 and control temp very well....and use the thermometer to learn where to set the dial.

Monitoring temp with your digital meter is an accurate way to get that setting.

But do what you feel is needed. I, for one, do NOT need a PID controller! And I design & sell high end ones into sophisticated control systems in my engineering company!!

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

I will disagree about the lead temp not being important. I'm betting you haven't weighed a large batch of bullets to check consistency. You have stated many times that you just cast plinking ammo.

I weight sorted a large batch of bullets both w/ and w/out a PID. The batch w/ PID control was a lot tighter in weight variation. This really comes into play w/ 22cal bullets. If all you're casting is large 45cal bullets a spread of a grain or two doesn't matter. W/ a 55 grain bullet it sure does.

I've done it both ways and find the PID does more than just control the temp. It also allows you to focus on other aspects of casting which improves your results even more. They aren't absolutely needed but they are a great to have.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    No. I do not give a hoot about weighing boolits. I check one or two when I 1st get the mold and that is it. My alloy mix stays pretty constant. Makes no difference to me. A grain here or there is no big thing to me. Powder loads for pistol rounds can vary enough to cause deviations also. Do I trickle every pistol round?? No. Again I do not give a hoot. My boolits still always easily hit where I what them to go. Again, I do not now nor ever will shoot in any kind of competition.

Do what you need to do when making castings for your style of shooting. I sure have tons of fun with my non-weighed PID-less boolits! Nice thing about our hobby.....there are many choices and avenues to arrive at personal satisfation.

If I really want 223 accuracy, I use BTFMJ's, not little hunks of lead I made. But for every one of those I load (trickle) and shoot, I load & shoot 300+ pistol carts.

banger

PID is a $120 addition that makes a $65 pot perform more consistently. Digital control driven by temperature readings that feed a predictive logic control can hold the pot to a very narrow range of temperature. PID "learns" how fast you pot cools off or heats up. Starts applying power in anticipation of getting too cool. Or cutting in anticipation of getting too hot. Not a whole lot different than the way a digital thermostat in the home can hold temperature at a more consistent temp than a thermostat using a bi-metal switch can.

Do you need one? Depends on if you have something more important to do with the $$$. Or if it solves a problem you have a need to solve. Clearly Banger doesn't consider minor variations in bullet weight from different casting temperatures to be an issue. Dragon on the other hand wants the ability to gain that increase in consistency which a PID can provide (you still have to cast at a consistent speed or the mold temp will vary) but it is as mentioned one less thing to have to watch or concern yourself with.

Lee (or most pot) dials are really just a reference point. You make a note that x alloy being cast in y mold set the dial at 6.5 for good results. For a different alloy/mold combinations you might have different places on the dial you need to go to in order to repeat good results so you write them down. If you want to know what that temperature actually is then a Tel-Tru or Lyman thermometer will provide that information.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I build and sell PID
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...20#post3555920
    Like other say no you do not need one. But it help get temp right to you point. If you added the screw cuts you can drop in temperature fast. If you add cold lead. The PID get you all on temp and don't not let you over shoot your temp.

I used to use a lead therm, now I have the PID. Should have gone that route years ago. For about $60 in parts & a bit of knowledge you can build one too.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    A good lead pot thermometer is all you need.
    bangerjim
    Plus one. Depending on the pot I use a PID or good lead pot thermometer

Ummmm I'm casting over a propane burner so PID is not happening for me. My pot is larger than an electric so holding temp is not all that hard. One of these days I might get all modern and get an electric pot, then I could think about a PID. I have at least two check making dies ahead of that in the "buy me when you have some money" list. Along with some brass inventory I would like to build up.

Tough being one cheap SOB (Swell Old Boy) but I'm going with my strengths and that happens to be one of em.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat