Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: mp 452-200hp results

Boolit Buddy

mp 452-200hp results

Today I loaded up a few of the 200gr hp cast with 20-1 at 1.205 with 5gr of bullseye. They were fairly accurate and going an average of around 835fps. Next I decided to shoot them into some wet newspaper. I had to stack 2 buckets on top of one another to catch them. They had 14-16 inches of penetration and opened very little (I don't think the paper was wet enough) so I went home and loaded a few with 7.5gr of power pistol (just for fun, they weren't very accurate) put some more water in with the newspaper and went back to the range. I was pretty impressed with the results, as you'll see below. They retained 100% of their weight as well. I will take the bullseye rounds back with wetter paper and try again but for now here are the results from the power pistol. I think i'm going to try some unique too to see which is the most accurate with enough velocity to fully expand. If you have any data with these boolits please let me know either on here or in a pm.

Here are the recovered boolits from the power pistol loads. I don't think they all opened up because the extra water I added hadn't fully saturated all of the newspaper.

Banned

instead of speeding them up you could try the classic cast boolit hollow point alloy of 30-1.

Boolit Mold
    Velocity helps a lot with expansion. You should be able to hit 950 fps at standard pressure, but 5% tin is a lot of tin for low pressure handgun loads. I run 1% tin and vary hardness with antimony and heat treating. For media testing I usually let newsprint or phone books soak overnight.

Phone books? Hmmm. Haven't seen one of those in years

Banned

Phone books show up by my mail box every year. They are just the yellow pages though.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried 7gr of unique and had great expansion and pretty good accuracy. I think I'll stick with unique and tweak the charge a little to see if the groups get any better.

I notice the red lube in the groove looks untouched.

It must be pretty hard lube.

Any leading?
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Buddy
    It's carnauba red. Some leading but not terrible.