Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Roll or taper crimp for 357 mag with cast boolits

There was a comment on roll crimp earlier in this thread, regarding trim length and consistent crimp.
    Minor variation in case length, then the comment made is a fine comment.
    So that someone still on beginning end of the learning curve doesn't misunderstand it though: if the brass is not trimmed uniformly, and you use a roll crimp, it is possible to buckle case walls if the cases are of inconsistent length. This is very possible, even in brass used is from same lot of factory ammunition shot in one gun. The trimming has to be to a fairly consistent length or simple buckling is a potential.

Post #59 is helpful to me, because there is (using Willbird's phrase-ology) a 5th choice to his fourth...

It is uncommon, but sometimes helpful on cases using heavy bullets and no powder compression, to put a constriction or crimp at the Base of the bullet to provide another obstruction to bullet setback during recoil. I guess I would call it a base crimp.
    If I remember right, I have also see ammunition for applications like this where there was a crimp at the case mouth and a crimp ring part way down the neck into the captured bullet body. It looks like it may be possible using a clever adaptation of a LEE FCD to do that.
    On these types of cases w/ heavy bullets and heavy recoil, I also remember seeing a crimp type (I think a stab crimp, or bayonet crimp, it was called) where there is a strong indentation pressed into the case neck thus creating a point of intrusion of the case neck into the seated bullet. I think it was 3 points around the neck at the same distance from mouth. I suppose the number could vary.

Me, I don't want a crimp like this stab crimp really ever, but I have wanted a base crimp a couple times, or a mid-body bullet crimp, and I believe my initial thoughts on tinkering w/ a LEE FCD may work based on post #59. So, thanks for the idea confirmation, before I went to tinkering on my own.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    And besides..when is the last time most of us saw straight wall or near straight wall pistol brass grow? Sure..trim once when you get them to uniform..then load on. I have 38spl and 45 cap I've loaded so many times that the headstamps are wearing near smooth...and they having grown any in years of shooting.
    IMHO the length variation shows up more when different lots of brass are mixed, and or different brands of brass. The end results from mixed brass might be better with a taper crimp than a roll crimp...but still might not be nearly as nice as brass of the same mfg lot .
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy
    Some brass, such as 38 special and 357 mag have a cannelure on them. It is placed about where the base of the bullet sits. May be able to do the same by using the collet crimp.

A quick search: "brass cannelure" even shows 9mm brass with this.

45_Colt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234