WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: primers

Boolit Bub

primers

I have been looking for federal 215 primers and can't seem to find any. Does anyone know what an equivalent replacement would be?

Boolit Master
    Winchester Large Rifle Magnum (or Remington , or CCI) Federal 215 is Large Rifle Magnum. All the other major manufacturers make Large Rifle Magnum primers. Personally I favor Winchester large Rifle magnum, but you'll find lots of disagreement-- we all have our favorites.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Midsouth shooters has large mag primers in stock.

Banned

when it comes to primers for bpcr, it really does pay to experiment with different types and brands ... and maybe even wad buffering the pocket.

so many variables that can easily matter for bpcr loads for a particular firearm ............

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago a friend and I tested several types of primers and also diffrent lot numbers. It was a rough testing procedure but did give some results. WHat we did was to seat a 22 cal pellt in a 222-250 case backwards and fired it over a chronogragh to compare velocities. This did not show brissance ( white hot particles ), flame length or imtensity, or pressures generated. Only one case was used for the firings. SOme primers generated very uniform velocities and the range of velocities produced was an eye opener also. Also was the diffrence in lot to lot variations of some primers. Group sizes at 10 feet were also interesting with some. ( remeber this set up was producing mid to upper end air gunn velocities). Primers can be a big part of the loads performance. All you can do is experiment with diffrentbrands types lot numbers to find what works best.

Boolit Bub
    Country, Sounds like it was a fun experiment! Sounds like different lots of primers behave like diff. Lots of Goex.

Boolit Master
    Try all differnt ones most of my bp rifles like win large rifle not mag. and one only likes fed215 back when I started shooting bpcrs every thing said fed 215 one day I ran out tried WLR ohh man great results.

Boolit Master
    if you like primer testing, I think this is the best data out there
    http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_t..._reference.htm