Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Who uses a Lee Pro 1000 or Loadmaster?

Boolit Master
    I had a Pro-1000 several years ago, but it just didn't like feeding 40 S&W and I didn't like seating and crimping in one step for an autoloader. For 38/357, or any revolver round using a roll crimp, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Pro-1000. The stroke is too short for most rifle rounds, and I don't like seating and crimping in one step for those either. Changing shell plates is a total pain IMO. I didn't have too much trouble with the priming system. Keep it clean. If it happens to leak powder, take steps to rectify that problem right away.

The wife bought me a Loadmaster for Christmas 2014. It came set up for 223, but I have purchased turrets and shell plates for 40 S&W, and 30 carbine and load those on the same press. So far, I am really impressed. The new Lee priming system works well, but can have issues if not properly adjusted and kept clean. An improperly prepped crimped primer pocket can ruin your session (Of course the first reloading of military brass requires of-press prep). As stated a smooth, steady pace is better than rushing. The case feeder works well for pistol rounds and the 30 carbine. Getting it to work with rifle length cases is possible, but a bit difficult.

For a single caliber, either press will work fine, but for an autoloader, I would recommend the Loadmaster. $.02
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Man
    I have a Lee Pro 1000. It can be made to work with lots of fiddling and keeping a close eye of the primer feed tray. For all the frustration and labor I have in keeping it running smoothly, I would suggest you buy something else. I love reloading, except when I use the Lee Pro 1000. Thankfully I have a single stage and turret press to use.

Perma-Banned

I HAD them...were not worth the effort to keep them running.

GO BLUE!

I did 2,000 45ACP with out a fail to prime properly...
    Worth reading again, never read that before talking about a Lee progressive and not very likely to in the future.

Boolit Mold

Who uses a Lee Pro 1000 or Loadmaster?

I've been using a pro1000 for awhile now with great success. I just recently picked up a used loadmaster. I should have it mounted up in the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Worth reading again, never read that before talking about a Lee progressive and not very likely to in the future.

Oh, I don't know. I've probably done that many 9mm on one of mine with out any priming problems, and a couple hundred 44's and 45 colts on the other, BUT, I also have Magic Mikes (Mike's Reloading Bench) priming system with the adjusting screw in the shell plate carrier...... Back to the original question from Outer Rondacker. You already have a Dillon SDB that you seem to like very well so why not just buy another one for the 45ACP? By the time you purchase a new LM and add the aftermarket parts from MRB you're in that cost area anyway. The only advantage (if there is one) with the LM is you get a pretty good casefeeder, and caliber conversions are much cheaper than the SDB but that's not an issue for you as you only want to do one caliber. IF, you just want to try a Loadmaster for S's and giggles, then sure, go ahead, they can be made to run well. But like I mentioned before, you should be prepared to spend some time, effort, and maybe a bit of money on aftermarket "upgrades" for better consistency.

Boolit Master
    hehe; "IF, you just want to try a Loadmaster for S's and giggles, then sure, go ahead, they can be made to run well." This thread is making me want to just do that. I have to keep reminding myself my budget is limited for the next two years.

As for the SDB I own well I got it brand new in the box all set up for $25 dollars. Never had powder or primer in it. If I could find a good deal on a SDB in 45 I would buy it. I hate case feeding on one side and bullet feeding on the other. I guess I just dont like taking my hand off the press handle. This thread is helping me decide and I am thankful for all the posts.

The ergonomics of the Dillon presses is the reason I prefer others as well. I do however, have an "older", manual everything, 450 that I DO enjoy using for certain rifle calibers as I'm in no hurry with them and it affords me a LOT of versatility. But for an auto index press I (personally) look elsewhere. As for right now the Lee Loadmasters that I have satisfy that "itch". When I decide to move on (and I will) it's probably going to be back to RCBS....but that's just my preferences. I've looked at and cycled a display model Hornady LNL and it sure seems to be a really nice unit and priced very well (under 400 bucks if you look about a bit) but me and Hornady have some bad history (with another press with a "lifetime guarantee" that is no longer supported by them) so they're not even in the equation for me. IF, you decide on a LM there is a lot of help available IF you have any problems....

Boolit Master

One advantage I've found with the pro-1000 is the people who happily use them are often very mechanically inclined. As a result you can find lots of information on fixes and modifications for this press.

Boolit Master
    Thank you 1bluehorese. I have one of those LIFETIME presses from hornady. I do not talk about it much. If we are on the same page its a Hornady Pro-jector. I just got off the phone from hornady looking for a few simple parts and they offered to take it on trade in on a new LnL. I send them 200 bucks with a complete working press or 250 with not powder measure and they will send me a new press. Um ok but I just want parts so my press is not working. I was told to call back Monday and they could tell me how much more it would be for a trade in. I stated again I am looking for primer parts I do not want to spend another 250+ 10 per 6 shell plates I have. If I was going to do that I would just order a new one for 389.96. She told me sir our press sells for over 500 dollars before we add in the case activated powder drop. That goes for another what ever she said. I could not get it into her head I wanted to fix the one I had.I will be calling back Monday. Dont get me wrong I was interested in the trade in but got to thinking if it was worth it. This press runs I just cant run large primers. What do you guys think lol I am all over the place here. I am still thinking lee for my 45s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01402.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    What do you guys think lol I am all over the place here. I am still thinking lee for my 45s.
    I think the $250 upgrade price is about what a Loadmaster ready to load one caliber with a case feeder will cost you. Keep the Pro-jector for small primer stuff, get the Loadmaster set up for .45. You can always trade the Pro-jector later if you want.

Boolit Master
    That is what I was thinking. To be honest I have two Pro-jectors. I have just always called them LnL's. I have two small primer pockets and one large. The one large is set up for 44mag and yes I shoot enough to keep a progressive set up for it. The small is set up for 357. They both work great in my mind. So I should keep them going and keep on track of Lee for 45s.

Boolit Master
    My piggy bank can not swing the price of a new Hornady or Dillon. Thus brings me to the lee.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used 1000's for years with 9mm,38spl. 45acp 45lc all work fine

Boolit Bub
    I use a Lee Load Master for 9mm and I do everything on it except tumble the brass. Setup is key, and I believe the correct die selection is key as well.

In position 1, I use the Lee universal decapper die. You could also use a sizing die that is larger than the case, but I like the universal die.

Position 2 is where I size and prime. I use a Lee carbide die with the decapper removed. By sizing in position 2, it centers the case perfectly for the primer to go in. You will need to adjust primer depth, but once done, it is set for good. Of course, I don't have to deal with different primer sizes that 45 ACP can have.

Position 3 is for flare and powder. Lee powder-through die with autodisk.

Position 4 is where I seat the bullet. I also use a magnetic bore light that I place on the primer shield. I snake the light to pinspot the case so I can see the powder in the case before I place the bullet. I use the Lee bullet seat die.

Position 5 is for the Lee factory crimp and post sizing.

For the money I paid for the Lee, I am very happy. And I like his reloading book too (fun stories as to decisions in manufacturing and how he shot the windshield of his car). I've run thousands of cartridges through this press.

Good luck!

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum wawoodwa. I am honored you posted your first post in my thread. Thank you for sharing with us.

On the note of Lee CS. Well I had to deal with them twice and let me tell you. I was not happy at all. The guy called basically called me a LIAR in not so many words. It was kinda the same issue both times. Fast story. I had bought brand new sealed 4 die set of dies. I opened it to find three and called them up. They gave me a bunch of bull and did nothing for me. I had to buy the missing die.

Boolit Master
    I have broken a few lee parts and they always replaced them .

Boolit Master
    You should ask to speak to their supervisor, that is unacceptable service .

Boolit Master
    I chalked it up to its a tuff one to prove and from their point of view people are always looking to get something for nothing. It still bothers me but I am over it for the most part. I do own 16 sets of their dies. Hand primers, powder hoppers, scoops and more. I seem to be happy with all of it.

I guess the guy I talked to was the head cheese. He was kinda a prick now that I think back. Oh well it was a few years ago.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Outer, glad to share. I've been reading the forums for a long time, but only felt I finally had experience to share on this topic. Glad to be here. Have a great day!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast