Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Which cast boolit for M1 Garand

Which cast boolit for M1 Garand

I'd like to work up a cast load for my M1 Garand.
    I have four 30 cal molds:

I'm guessing the 410 is too light. Which of the others would be best? My main criteria for the "best" load would be the one the cycles the rifle reliably with the least wear and tear on me and the Garand. I'm less concerned about accuracy as long as it's decent. Looking at the powders listed in the Lyman book I'd prefer to use IMR-4198 (assuming Unique isn't going to cycle the bolt).

Thanks

311299 is the one you need. When the gun cycles it will not be hard on you or the gun as it takes considerably less to cycle the gun than what M2 Ball ammo is normally loaded to.

Here's what the boolit looks like in a .308 case as compared to a 150 gr FMJ

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

From the molds you've listed, the 311291 is, most likely, your best option. Reliable function and 'decent' accuracy in a Garand typically require heavier boolits...like in the range of 175 to 210 gr. I shoot the .30 cal. RCBS 30-165 Sil (175-176 gr from my alloy) which, in my gun, will match M2 Ball accuracy. Others on the forum have obtained good results from the Lyman 311299 (nominal 200 gr) or similar. I've, personally, tried 3 of the 4 boolits you've listed (311413, 311466, and 311291) without what I considered acceptable performance.

If you do a quick search, you'll find a number of threads on reloading for the Garand with cast boolits.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Since we're Discussing the Garand, is anyone using PC boolits in their Garand, Pro's and Con's? In the near future I'll be considering Casting for my Garand and will be looking for a Mold and I'll want to PC the boolits. I'll do a search and see what I turn up in the meantime.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Don't overlook the Lee 312-155 0r 160 . They can be just the thing.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    Don't overlook the Lee 312-155 0r 160 . They can be just the thing.
    Been there, done that...but no joy. The Lee 312-155 is one of my favorites for .308 bolt guns but my Garand doesn't have an adjustable gas plug and I found, to obtain reliable function, I had to push boolits weighing in the 150s too fast for acceptable accuracy. On the other hand, as the TV disclaimer says: "Your results may vary from those depicted."

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I've been reading up on past discussion and the consensus seems to be 4198 won't cycle the bolt. I plan on working up a load with 4895.

I am wondering why Lyman doesn't list any cast boolit loads for 4895? They consider the velocities too high for #2 alloy?

Boolit Master

Dunno why Lyman doesn't but my 2nd addition Lee handbook lists quite a few 4895 loads for the '06. If you can't get your hands on a copy, drop me a PM and I'll scan the pages out of mine and e-mail them to you. It's been a few years, but I recall, one of the first CB loads I worked up for my Garand used the 311291 and 4895 but I'd rather not quote any specifics with going back and digging out my range notes from back then.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I have the Lee manual as well.

Both manuals have 4895 loads for the 30-06, but not for cast boolits. I can work up a load using the jacketed info as a baseline. Just curious if they didn't include 4895 for a specific reason like excessive leading.

Boolit Master

Which edition of the Lee? My 2nd edition has a whole section (pgs 140 thru 155) of cast boolit loads for the .30-30, .308, and .30-06.

Have never encountered any kind of specific "leading" issue with 4895, either. Using 33.5 gr H4895 under a 185 gr. cast, I've often put 100+ rounds through my Longbranch No4Mk1 in an afternoon without any significant lead build-up...same for the 8x57; 205 gr. Lee/32.0 gr. H4895 - couple of passes with a bore brush dipped in Ed's Red, three or four clean patches, and put it back in the rack.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Also wanting info on best mold round nose vs spire point

Hello all, I've posted this same message on different threads hoping to get the most knowledgeable info as possible.
    I was able to finally get an M1 Garand in my collection. I am wanting to reload cast "boolits" for this particular rifle. I've reloaded for other 30-06 rifles (bolt action and pump action). I have a question about which mold to get. I am looking at the NOE molds 311332, 311365, 311299 or the 312299. Can anyone give me a recommendation for one or another? Would I have feeding issues with round nose cast "boolits (the 311299/312299) versus the spire points (311332/311365)? I planned on using either IMR4898 or H4898 starting at 30 grains and working up. Whatever advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Boolit Master

M1 Bullet Selection

Let me add to the hoopla over heavy bullets for the M1 Garand.

My favorite pointed bullet is the Lyman (or NOE clone) 311299. Mine go 208 grains with GC and lube.

For a more round nose profile bullet, try the Lyman 311284. I haven't cast this one for a while as the 311299 is so good, but you'll see a bullet weight of about 210 grains with it.

Either bullet over 33 to 36 grains of 4895 will get you right at 1,900 fps. That's a sweet spot for all my military 30 and 31 calibre rifles and it is so in the M1 Garand also. Start a bit low and then check for accuracy and reliable function. The two don't always go hand in hand, but a good compromise is easily found.

Once you find the best load for the M1, you'll find that it will almost always shoot very well or better in 1903 Springfields and 1917 US Enfields. You may have to go to the 314299 in the Enfield though. Depends on your bore diameter. The term "Enfield" seems to denote a wide variation in bore size, both British and US.

For a slightly lighter bullet, try the Lyman 311334 or the very similar 311332. They go about 190 grains all dressed up.

Here are some sized and lubed 311299 (left) and 311334 (right) bullets waiting to get stuffed into Lake City Ought-Six brass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cast Bullets-800-90%.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-09-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf