RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: New Barrel, cast or jacketed?

Boolit Master

New Barrel, cast or jacketed?

A lot of you fellows have AR's with .300 Blk barrels. I am awaiting a stainless steel barrel for an AR upper in 7.62x40WT from X-Caliber barrels.

Did you AR .300 BLK owners shoot jacketed bullets in your new barrels first, or go with cast boolits from the get-go?

Just like to know your all thoughts.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned
    I would shoot a half a dozen or so jacketed first. Clean it well with a copper solvent, then go for it.

Boolit Master
    I don't have an AR or a 300 BLK and I'm not familiar with X caliber barrels. So my thoughts may not apply.

Since I tend to use the lowest priced barrel I can find ( usually ER Shaw ) most will start shooting jacketed a lot better after at least 100 rds. Some will shoot alright immediately but all will do better after a little break in.
    Im of the opinion that a well lapped premium barrel won't require any break in. I've just never owned one.

I too am interested in other people's experiences here.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

X-Caliber says they hand lap their bores, so that should be a plus. I agree on barrels shooting better after a few hundred rounds. I never break-in a barrel with the shoot one, clean one regimen. I just shoot them.

Seeing that this barrel will be hand lapped, probably wont matter what gets shot in it first, jacketed or cast.....I think.....maybe...
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    In the past I've broke them in with the shoot one,clean shoot two,clean etc. any more I try to clean pretty often at first later I just clean every 100 rds or so. Recently I've been shooting Ramshot exterminator out of my 223. It's supposed to stop or slow copper fouling. I haven't cleaned the gun since I started using it. I don't know if it works or not. Only got a couple hundred down the bore and it still hovers in the 3/4" range at 200 yds.
    I think I'll clean it tomorrow and see what the patches look like.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live