Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Check Installation

Gas Check Installation

So this has been giving me fits, I've tried a dozen different ways to get these little ******** on my .308 155g rounds and I finally figured out a fool proof way to do it without marring the bullet. Half a synthetic wine cork up the *** end of a .452 Lee sizing die.

Boolit Master

Texas, can you give us a little more info on the main problem you are having? Is it a difficulty with getting the GC started on the shank of the boolit before you run it through a sizer die?

Is your boolit a spitzer?
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

I had a problem with consistency installing them while going through the sizing die. I size these to .311 which didn't give enough resistance to get the checks on there all the way.

Boolit Master
    Interesting solution. I've had similar problems. All of my gas checks (multiple from different manufacturers) are too small for all of my bullet shanks (multiple from different manufacturers). I honestly don't understand why more people don't have this issue, but I sure do. When I was dealing with flat nosed bullets like the Saeco 315 I was able to put a piece of metal over the bottom of the die and just more or less force the check on there with the press, but that doesn't work on the pointier bullets.

So far what I've had to do is get an appropriately sized ball bearing, give it a tap with a mallet on each gas check to flare it a bit, and use my NOE base first sizing with a top punch. The ball bearing thing is not anywhere near as much work as it sounds. I still need to do a little more testing before I'm 100% satisfied that this is going to work for me.
    Last edited by dilly; 02-11-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Boolit Master

Ok Texas, I understand what you are saying. You are getting the GC started on the boolit square and flush before running through the sizing die, as the die didn't give resistance to set the check on the shank properly.

I have had that happen too with push through sizers. I have tapped the GC's on by hand, or used my Lyman 450 with gas-check seater to push them on.

You fix is pretty cool!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    When I have some tight ones, I just put a small piece of electrical tape on another punch and insert it into the sizing die. It will stay put and serve the same purpose.

My check seater

Boolit Grand Master

NOE makes this setup for this type of situation: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...products_id=33

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    NOE makes this setup for this type of situation: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...products_id=33
    That could cause shaving of the check shank.

What is needed is more flare in the check cup. Maybe a tool like this?

http://www.artfulbullet.com/index.ph...ol-mod-ii.638/
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

Gas Check Installation

NOE also makes a tool to chamfer the shank base. I make my own checks and don't have these issues. But w/ the tools NOE makes you should be able to make a check fit w/ no issues.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 02-17-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Boolit Master

I use the NOE gas check seater and it is great, Some checks snap on and others don't so I use the seater. I also have the chamfer tool for a particularly stubborn .41 cal LBT mould I have.

Good Lord, is the list of tools/dies/molds/crapinevereventhoughtaboutbutnowigottahave ever going to end? I told the wife I got into casting to save money...

I put the check on as best I can and then hold the boolit firmly while smacking the gas check into my loading bench. It seats the check all the way and I saved money on a seating tool

Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    My check seater

This works well for me too.
    Keep moving forward!

I run them through the 450 lyman sizing die and never had a problem. I cant pull them off with thumbnail so its all good.

Le Loup Solitaire
    I use a couple of Saeco lubrisizers and they both have the swing in attachment/feature for seating gas checks so never have had any kind of problem with secure seating them. LLS

It's easier to simply re-design the gas check maker to make gc's with a rounded/open wall. They fit any shank, self center in the sizer & center on the bullets base because of the sloped sides. Simply put the check in the sizer size the bullet as you normally would. No pre-fitting, no snapping the gc's on, no more large/small cg shank affecting anything.

Been using a re-designed check for years, they self center, fit on any gc shank plain or built up with powder coating.

Boolit Master

I have the worlds most expensive gas check seater. I have gotten bit by the PC bug. I don't use my Lyman 45 to lube, so it has become my check seater. I wouldn't recommend this unless you are like me and have the stuff already on the bench!

First I replaced the push rod with a 1/4-20 bolt. I then put a nut right below the die.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030123.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	164678

By adjusting the nut I can keep the pushrod high enough so a gas check just sits in the depression

Name:	P1030124.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	164679

I use a .314 sizing die and that seems to center the gas check and hold it well

Name:	P1030125.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	164680

I place the boolit up against the top punch and lower it onto the gas check. I rotate it with my fingers a couple of times and it lines right up and is easy to press on the shank.

Name:	P1030126.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	164681

Now, if you don't already have all of this equipment this would be a stupid expensive way to set checks. The additional expense for me was one 1/4-20 bolt and nut and I got them from the junk drawer!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of molds that the GC shank was enlarged unintentionally when the mold was lapped out. I cast boolits around 18 bhn so I now just give them a tap on the nose with a rubber mallet and they seat fine. May not work well with a soft boolit.
    I did make a hand punch to enlarge the GC but it is slow to use.
    I tried some of the Vulcan gas checks from varying material thicknesses but when the thinner material was used it would slip on fine but then would not crimp tightly to the shank.

One thing that I have been doing if I'm sizing real close to the bullet size and I don't get much resistance is to not push the first bullet thru the die all the way, then put in a second bullet and push first out. Obviously sharp bullets won't work, nor long.... My 223 needs one as I have flipped the press over and dropping them in rather than holding on the pusher (lee)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast