Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPA Stevens 44 1/2

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies my friends. I have both Sharps and High Walls. I think I would like to have one of these rifles.
    My daughter called,and is sick again, so I think I need to see how she fairs before I commit any money to project like this.
    I should know in a month,and maybe I can afford to order one in .22LR

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You won't regret spending the money on one of those rifles.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I've got two of them chambered for schuetzen cartridges. They are really accurate. I've found that I have to keep on top of the screws as some of them work loose more often than on my other single shots. As long as I do this, my rifles shoot very well.

I've never dealt with Paul Shuttleworth, but have on multiple occasions with his daughter Gail who seems to run much of the business as far as I can tell. You will not find better customer service anywhere.

Chris.

Perm-Banned
    i have one in 45/70. did the stocks my self in curly maple. montana vit. sights. the barrel is a gain twist smith stainless barrel. drives tacks with a 450 grain paperpatched bullet. the twist ends in 1-22 which is slow to some but the 450 grain swagged bullet is swagged to .451 and has two wraps of number nine paper dry wrapped. that bullet is perfect for that gun and barrel. the barrel is cryo treated and has a .459 throat for about 3/4 of a inch. i need to shoot it more as it shoots so very well. never ever will sell it. the touch off trigger is a touch trigger and not a squeeze trigger. you have to be a very very bad shot not to hit with mine. ive taken newbies and have them break 12 gallon water filled jugs in a row at 100 yards as that range isnt anything for this gun. cpa is a good gun with the right barrel and load.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    I am leaning toward the .22 LR . It would be nice not to have to cast and handload for another caliber, but I might get a .32/20 barrel . I am sure I would enjoy it very much.
    Be aware that there are two 32-20s - the "regular" .316 32-20 and the Shuttleworth 32-20 CPA, blown out to .321. The 32-20 CPA barrel in mine is a Shilen .3201 1/14 for heavy 210 gr bullets.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    If you are thinking of a schuetzen cartridge you might want to check on the ASSRA site to get opinions there. I think some have run into case life problems due to high pressures in the small cases. I'm a fan of the .32-40 for a schuetzen cartridge as it works well with black powder and smokeless. I can also get hundreds of shots out of a single .32-40 case. Of course you might want more than one barrel .

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    If you are thinking of a schuetzen cartridge you might want to check on the ASSRA site to get opinions there. I think some have run into case life problems due to high pressures in the small cases. I'm a fan of the .32-40 for a schuetzen cartridge as it works well with black powder and smokeless. I can also get hundreds of shots out of a single .32-40 case. Of course you might want more than one barrel .

Chris.
    At one time I had an original Winchester High Wall in .32/40 It had a Swiss buttplate and a perfect bore.All the case colors and blue.
    I bought it for $2000 ,shot it some, and sold it for $2500 .Wish I still had that rifle.
    At the time I collected 86 Winchesters.

I like the .32 Miller short and the .32/20 as possible barrels for the CPA rifle.

I am sure I will never shoot in any formal schuetzen matches.

I only shoot for personal entertainment.

My favorite black powder rifle is a .50/90 Sharps.
    Last edited by Clay M; 02-13-2016 at 09:31 PM.

I have two CPA's and one coming.
    The first I made a .22 with a 28" #4 Douglas barrel and I had a second .44-75 Ballard with a 1/16 twist 32" #4 barrel I later changed this chamber to a .44-100 Rem. St.
    The wood is their standard grade and I ordered the wood unfinished.
    The .22 is a fine shooter, I don't have a rifle that will outshoot it. Below are three groups shot on 2" orange pastors using a 8X DZ Arms scope.

5 shots at 100 yards

Here are two 4 shot groups from 200 yards. The pastor is 2" diameter. The top 4 I shot first and dropped the scope to shoot the 2nd 4 shots. That is using the Fed Auto Match bulk ammo. The Norma Match out shoots the Fed A/M

Big hole/little hole

Rifle #2 .44-75 Ballard chamber.

Rifle #3 will be a .45-90 in the same configuration. The CPA have a very fast lock time and a lot of adjustments you can suit your needs with the trigger and the hammer tension and strike.

Kurt

Boolit Buddy

Mine is 30-40 and 38-50 as they share same extractor, and having .22 rifle made now. Will post pics when snolw melts. Great people to deal with. moodyholler
    WTB single shots.