Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Solvents - Back to Hoppes #9

Cleaning Solvents - Back to Hoppes #9

Tried some Ballistol. Cleaned 2 38's after a weekend of shooting. Did not care for smell and cleaning action was less than spectacular. Have used Hoppes for years and prefer it. Tried the B product because it was touted as cleaner and lubricant/preservative. Concluded I'd rather add a little oil as final step with Hoppes than deal with bad smell of Ballistol.

Ballistol doesn't seem to exist around here. I have been using Hoppes for 40 years. It does a good job for me.

Boolit Master

I tend to agree that Hoppes 9 does a good job. Folks that have been using it for years and years say they have changed the formula and it doesn't do as good a job as that of yesteryear. It may not but Hoppes still does pretty good for me. I will say that I also like and use Ballistol especially for black powder swabbing and cleaning. I am different in that I do like the smell of Ballistol almost as much as the old original Hoppes #9. For me two smells I really like are the smell of leather and the old Hoppes #9 formula.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Bub
    Ballistol does nothing well. Waste of money. I clean with Hoppe's with a shot Kroil mixed in. I lube with the correct lubricant for the gun and the weather. I rust preserve mostly with CorrosionX. Eezox is a good preservative too, but it's nasty toxic.

I go through a couple bottles of Hoppes #9 a year, I haven't tried very many others, I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I mix my own Ed's Red. Works for me
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Ballistol water mix is good for black powder and if corrosive ammo has been used as it netralizes the salts. I use it mixed with good relults. I also have hoppes #9 and shooters choice benchrest on hand. I mix shooters choice kroil oil 50 50 The kroil oil acts as a penetrant carrier and helps get the shooters choice under the jacket or lead fouling lifting it.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    1/3 Hoppes 1/3 Pure Turps 1/3 Kroll.....The answer to everything in cast boolit shooting
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Le Loup Solitaire
    I've used Clenzoil for many years now. It does a great job as a solvent and a rust preventative as well. LLS

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Been using Hoppe's since I was a kid. Around here you have to go to a big box sporting goods store in Lexington to find any other types.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like Hoppes, but I've also used Marvel Mystery Oil for cleaning handguns.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    I use Hoppe's solvent for all my cast-bullet & rimfire cleanup. Lately, for revolvers, I have been using Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover. I let cyl. & bore soak for a few min. & patch out, followed by Hoppe's. Used to use a pile of patches getting carbon out of cyl. with Hoppe's alone.

Boolit Buddy
    Still have a partial quart of 30+ year old Hoppes #9 sitting in the garage. Discovered Ed's Red a few years ago, and I'll never go back to Hoppes again. The smell of Hoppes brings back memories, but Ed's Red has cleaned guns that Hoppes won't touch.

Boolit Grand Master

The old #9 with nitro benzene was OK but current stuff doesn't hold a candle to some of the new products.

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    I like Hoppes, but I've also used Marvel Mystery Oil for cleaning handguns.
    There's nothing like the smell of Marvel Mystery Oil! Mmmmmm!

Boolit Grand Master
    I used Hoppe's #9 for a lot of years, Outer's Nitro Solvent too, then found out how to make Ed's Red. I've never actually seen a can of Ballistol for sale.

Robert

Hoppe's for cleaning smokeless, Ballistol for BP. That's the way I like it.

Boolit Master
    Hoppes #9, Ballistol, Kroil, and Wipe Out all set on my bench. I have some eds red and have used it for several years.
    I tried several of the do all snake oils and the above is what has worked for me depending on the gun and what I am trying to clean.

Banned
    When it comes to firearms, EVERYONE has their own pet oil/cleaner/solvent, etc. So why should I be different ?

For an all around, cleaner/lubricant - "If I could only have one", type of product; I'm squarely with Le Loup Solitaire. Clenzoil is an excellent product. It appears to be a bit of a regional thing and I usually have to order it but it has come closer to the Nirvana "do-it-all" requirement than any other product I've found. And I've been using it about 15+ years now.

I keep Hoppes #9 on hand and it does do a good job on copper fouling but for the most part Kroil has replaced it when I'm shooting cast bullets. Kroil is also a very good product for general quick gun cleaning.

Ballistol is more of a wood & leather cleaner that can also be used on metal in a pinch.

I'm old school and still trust RIG for long term storage of any ferrous metal.

I keep a tube of white lithium grease on hand for some special applications. STP is good for cylinder arbors (but not much else, too thick!).
    If you're on a tight budget and don't mind the red dye, good ol' ATF will get you by just fine. I know one country gent that's never used anything other than kerosene to clean his guns and 3 in 1 oil to lubricate his guns.

Banned

I use Hoppe's and Butch's Bore shine is better then anything I have used. For carbon, M-Pro 7 is best.
    Clenzoil is still good. Ed's Red does nothing for me at all over Hoppe's.
    I have many solvents and not a one does what it says. The smell of Butch's is like nuts and I fear it in the trash can but the stuff will really clean a gun. It removes copper and lead.
    Sweets for copper is good.
    I have many cans of Ballistol and it is great for many things but for BP it is best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast