Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: How long have you left a 10-22 factory mag loaded

Boolit Master

How long have you left a 10-22 factory mag loaded

I know it's not good to leave a mag loaded all the live long day for decades but what's the longest you ever left a 10-22 10 round factory mag loaded and still have it feed great.

Boolit Master
    About 8 years. It sat in the barn loaded because it wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but would kill a coon in a trap at 6 inches. I put a new barrel on it, it shoots great, and it is back in the safe in the house but with a 25 round mag. An old single shot now kills the coons.

Boolit Master
    I've had two ruger mags loose spring pressure after about a year. One was the black factory mag and the other the clear one from ruger. Now I leave only 4-5 loaded in them.
    Funny thing about 10-22's, the respondant above said his wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
    Mine is one of the manlicher stocked stainless ones Wally World sold 15-20 years ago and it has always been accurate. Some good ones and some bad I guess. I would never part with mine.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Grand Master

I dont leave them loaded other than to shoot them. I have found that some 10-22s are finicky as to spring pressure in the mag also. I have 2 one coplete custom build up with a lone walther match barrel threaded into the reciever and apretty much stock with stainless hammer forged heavy barrel and laminate factory stock.

15 years, just a tip the mags have a clock spring. If they lose tension you can pull the end off off the mag and get another wrap or to on it. This should get it back working.

Vann nailed it! I leave mine full all the time. Pair of 10 round blacks that are in a small block that holds them back to back. And a pair of the 25 round Ruger BX mags.

Once every 5-8 years I will add some tension if it is needed.

Boolit Master

Leave mine loaded all the time, for years, never had an issue yet, but they get used almost weekly. Not a 10-22, but 2 summers ago at a yard sale I bought some 20 round m16 mags still in wrapper, dated 1968 for parade use, loaded with 20 blanks, both mags work fine. 40 something years being loaded, not a hicupp, these two are gonna be used for my 300blackout build.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    I've had two ruger mags loose spring pressure after about a year. One was the black factory mag and the other the clear one from ruger. Now I leave only 4-5 loaded in them.
    Funny thing about 10-22's, the respondant above said his wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
    Mine is one of the manlicher stocked stainless ones Wally World sold 15-20 years ago and it has always been accurate. Some good ones and some bad I guess. I would never part with mine.
    I have the same rifle and is accurate as I can hold. Just had it out the other day, in fact. No trouble hitting a 4" swinging disc @ 100 yards with the inexpensive "thunderbolts". Wasn't really shooting for groups.....designing a portable brass catcher and trying to see if it was workable. I usually keep 9 rounds in magazines that are kept loaded.

First and only firearm, I bought at Wally World. Had to drive an hour to Ypsilanti. Back then, there wasn't any Wally Worlds in Detroit. Vividly, remember the clerk walking me out of the store with the purchase. Actually bought two....one for a friend of mine that held a FFL...who couldn't get any from his suppliers.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Since the 90's .Took it out the other day and it still worked fine.

Boolit Master
    I loaded one in 1995 and found it again in 2013. Still works. 10rd rotary, FWIW.

8-10 years. Still works fine.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

A good spring shouldn't lose tension over time ( within reason ) I'm sure no one puts there car up on blocks every night to keep the suspension from getting weak and you wouldn't disassemble your engine to keep the valve springs springy

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    A good spring shouldn't lose tension over time ( within reason ) I'm sure no one puts there car up on blocks every night to keep the suspension from getting weak and you wouldn't disassemble your engine to keep the valve springs springy
    While you're right, the caveat to leaving mags loaded is that polymer mags can weaken over time. Feed lips and bodies that aren't reinforced, particularly, which is why Magpul sells the dustcovers for their PMags, and why i don't leave MP1522 or AR22 conversion mags loaded, but i will leave 10/22 rotary mags and MkII mags loaded.

I suspect, but have no tested nor could I prove, that rimmed cartridges are harder on unreinforced polymer mags than rimless.

Maybe a year. I keep one in the closet for the occasional varmint at the house.

Boolit Master
    Kinda my thought too Virginian.