RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: mini 30s?

Banned

mini 30s?

how do they shoot. Are they about as inaccurate as a mini 14? Do they do ok with cast? the local gunshop just got in a used one and im interested if it isnt going to be a dud to work with.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    I've had this one for 3 to 4 years Lloyd. $300 out of a pawn shop. Great condition. Mine is more accurate than my 14, although I've never had a complaint with the accuracy of my 14, of 25+ years either. All in all, I like them both.

Still don't cast/reload for rifle yet, can't speak to that end.

The 30

The 14

Banned

also does anyone have a source for brass?

In Remebrance

I'm pretty sure Winchester and Remington load 7.62x39 and brass is available from all the big supply houses. My early Mini-14 was dismally inaccurate with most everything I tried.

Banned

thats kind of why im asking bret ive had 3 mini 14s and none of them were even close to being able to be called accurate. At least nothing close to the ARs i have and have had.

I've had mine for over ten years, It still shoots 1" moa with Sierra 125 boat tails. Accuracy is all in the reloading. Play around with it you'll see it shoots just fine. Rugers are quality guns.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Mini-14 and Mini-30 are among the few self-loading rifles with detachable magazines that are still available in CA, so they see a lot of use. The -30's tend to be a bit more accurate than the -14s, but neither averages in accuracy what a good AR-15 can do.

That said, the Minis can benefit from good bullets. With the 69 grain Sierra Matchkings in the -14 I can easily cut the Ruger-standard "4 inches at 100 yards" in half to 2", and often a little better. If ya want a REALLY accurate and scope-capable Mini, Accuracy Systems can put ya one together that will keep up with a high-end AR.

ETA--the Minis are more stalwart by accident than any AR is on purpose. The Mini-14 is among those rare and celebrated tools like the Rem 870 that can be considered "deputy-proof".
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I agree that the 69 gr sierra will cut the group down to 2 inches @ 100. If you try a 64 grain berger it can be cut almost in half again. Mine will shoot them in 1.125" @ 100yd.

Ebner

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    how do they shoot. Are they about as inaccurate as a mini 14? Do they do ok with cast? the local gunshop just got in a used one and im interested if it isnt going to be a dud to work with.
    I put several thousand rounds through my mini 30 and it functioned well when I traded it off for another gun. They have a 1 in 10 twist so it should shoot anything you load in it. Now as to cast, I don't know. It would seem to me that it should do ok. Ruger was using a .308 bore instead of the .312 that the AKs and SKSs use, but I'm not sure if they still do. My Mini would shoot 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds. most anytime I shot it but it didn't really like some of the surplus ammo. Wish I still had mine though. It was fun and now I am getting into cast boolits I think it would be a really fun piece.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    ETA--the Minis are more stalwart by accident than any AR is on purpose.
    A profound and true statement, IMHO. Could'nt agree more.