WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: It's official...Texas is "home".

Welcome to the best damn state in these United States

Well just rember the correct name "Chili con carne". Doesnt say "Chili con Frijoles".

Boolit Master

Congrats on landing in one of the best parts of Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Actually for a chain Rudy's is probably the best. Their regular sauce (spicy) is the only sauce I use any more. Sell it in big wine bottles. Thie Sissy sauce isnt as good. Not spicy and a little too sweet.
    Thar's "Rudy's BBQ Sauce" and thar's "Rudy's BBQ Sauce for Sissies."

Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post

Congratulations.

For barbeque go to Coopers inLlano http://www.coopersbbqllano.com/or either of the joints in Lockhart http://www.blacksbbq.com/https://www.kreuzmarket.com/ http://www.smittysmarket.com/

Cooper's ROCKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by badbob454 View Post
    first thing i thought of was pig hunting i hear its thick with them there
    We hunt near San Angelo and so far we have been unsuccessful at running out of feral pigs. Trying again this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorn97062 View Post
    We didn't realize hat these such a controversy over the inclusion of beans in a batch of chili. Honesty, I've never had chili without beans, so I may be in trouble. Hopefully I didn't stir the pot (pun intended! )
    Anything identifiable in chili other than meat in a Texas chili contest results in an instant disqualification. Beans are welcome to be served on the side.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I am one of those who don't think beans belong IN chili, but I knew a few Texans that do. Doing so won't send a fellow to Hell, but it will increase his time in Purgatory. However putting Lima Beans in chili is a hanging offense.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Many people think that the best B-B-Que in the world is from Cooper's B-B-Que in Llano, TX. That is about 150 miles northwest of you, 35 miles due north of Fredericksburg. Lots of folks fly into our tiny airport from the cities and use the courtesy car to go to Cooper's and eat then fly home. Everything is good but they are known for their Big Chop (pork chop). We also have a very big Crawfish Festival the third weekend in April. Good stuff if you like cajun mudbugs, taters and corn. Lots of good music, cold beer and fun.

Don't worry about not seeing deer yet, when you are driving at night they will find you. Best thing to do is hit the brakes and go straight, don't try to miss them or you will probably end up in a deep ditch or wrapped around a tree. A good brush guard is our friend.

You do know that God created the whole world in six days then rested on the seventh. Then on the eighth day, God made Texas. Welcome to God's Country.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Do not even think of telling a cop "no" if you are open carrying. Lot of BAD advice out there. Open carry in Texas is illegal. There is however an exemption IF you have a carry license. Tell a cop "no" and you will be taking a ride. Don't believe it, ask a cop what they will arrest you for if you open carry without a license.

Moderator Emeritus

Just a word on handling hitting deer in your vehicle. If you brake mightily, you might want to try letting up on the brakes just before impact. This lets the front end rise, so it's less likely they'll roll over your hood and through the windshield of some vehicles with lower front ends. Could save your life, possibly, but it requires good judgment and timing in doing so. It tends to throw the deer up into the air on impact, but at least they go away from the vehicle, and not into the cab with you and whoever's riding with you. I hit one years ago in my old Toyota pickup, and did this since it looked like the sloping front was going to cut his legs out from under him, so I let off the brakes just before impact, and it seems to have minimized the damage. I still miss that old truck! Bought it new and it lasted me 14 years. A man gets sentimental about anything that serves him that well, and it did NOT get babied in any way! Just kept oil, filter and air filter changed every 3,000-3500 miles, and one rebuilt alternator. That was it for maintenance!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Between the wife and I, we have 6 deer kills with our vehicles. But they were all in Louisiana, my home state. Deer here are just as bad depending on where you are at.
    Ahhhh, I could tell some stories about some of those kills and a few other deer road kills but I'll let it rest.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

If you go to Coopers, look for the old newspaper pic of the fellah holding up a rattlesnake on a stick Lots of opinions and estimates, but Ill let you make your own. .

And in the interest of full disclosure I cook my chili with black beans. I also like it topped with cold chopped onions and just a little sharp cheddar. I dont care. Thats how I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    If you go to Coopers, look for the old newspaper pic of the fellah holding up a rattlesnake on a stick Lots of opinions and estimates, but Ill let you make your own. .

And in the interest of full disclosure I cook my chili with black beans. I also like it topped with cold chopped onions and just a little sharp cheddar. I dont care. Thats how I like it.
    We went to Cooper's here in NB, and it was fantastic. Way better than Rudy's, in our opinion. I especially liked the application of sauce, when asked if we wanted any sauce. The guy grabbed our brisket and just dunked it in a big container and slipped it all on a tray.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Thats the good stuff right there in that bucket!
    Last edited by Markbo; 02-13-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Maybe it is just me, but I am having a real hard time thinking of anything that isn't better with beans in it, on it, around it or just by themselves. Except maybe Blue Bell. The whole key, IMHO, is to always cook those little tooters with several Jalapenos in the pot with them.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I've never declared that I was carrying concealed when pulled over by previous officers, and see no reason why I would change that practice.

I really appreciate the warm welcome from everybody.
    Tinhorn,

You'll probably want to rethink not declaring your concealed handgun in Texas. In an interaction with an LEO it's required in Texas.

Enjoy Texas. I'll be moving back when I retire. Hopefully that's still a few years down the road.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

David is right. In Texas, when an officer asks for your driver's license, and you are carrying, you must volunteer your CHL along with your DL. It would serve you well to get on the state websites and read the law, as there are a number of places where CHL firearms are not legal. Just the way it is as we recover from post Civil War reconstruction.

Good advice from the previous two.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Always produce you're concealed carry license if you are pulled over or stopped for an insurance check. I' been through several road blocks checking insurance, inspection sticker, trailer lights, etc.
    once that they saw that I had a carry licence, they let me go without checking anything else.
    My opinion, once they see the carry license, They figure if you have that, you have everything else together. Your're not the guy that they are looking for.
    I've even been pulled over for speeding. Once the officer looked at the carry license, he let me go.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Mold
    This is as close to Heaven as you can get!

Good luck to you and your family!

We didn't realize hat these such a controversy over the inclusion of beans in a batch of chili. Honesty, I've never had chili without beans, so I may be in trouble. Hopefully I didn't stir the pot (pun intended! )
    Just don't go around admitting it.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Well, to catch up on some posts:

I spent some time reading up on Texas gun laws before moving. I'm enjoying living a felony free lifestyle, and don't care to be welcomed to Texas in a felonious fashion. So- as soon as I'm able, I'll be obtaining my Texas CHL. Open carry is nice...that said, I'm a big fan of people not knowing what may or may not be hidden under my shirt. I've never declared that I was carrying concealed when pulled over by previous officers, and see no reason why I would change that practice.

I really appreciate the warm welcome from everybody.
    When you finish reading up on Texas gun laws you will find:
    GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE
    . If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast