Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 'Nother success story...

Boolit Master

Thumbs up 'Nother success story...

Totally impressed by my first go at PC. Never could get my 1894 Marlin (MG) to shoot well with cast without picking up considerable leading in the throat and first couple inches of the barrel. Tried all the 'standard' fixes - sizing to .433, 'hard alloy', different lubes, etc. - without finding true happiness. PC'd some some freshly-cast Lee 200 gr. RNFPs with HF Red, loaded 'em over 10 gr of Unique, and headed for the range. Right from the get-go, 2"-2 1/2" (iron sight) groups at 50 yds, which is pretty much same as I get with JBs (or the best of my lubed CB loads). After 50 rounds, ran a few dry patches through the barrel and bore looked like it had been scrubbed with Hoppe's #9.

Only question now is what to do with all those sized/lubed Lyman 429667s sitting on the shelf in my workshop?

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I've started washing the lube off boolits that didn't shoot well or leaded the bore using the gasoline drained from my boat at seasons end. Cleans them right up. I melt and recast these. Seems easier than getting every bit of oil off them when powder coating. Gp

Boolit Master

depending on your OCD level you could could shoot them (which is what I did with mine lubed ones) or wash them off and PC.

I like to PC bullets but not enough to add work to bullets that are already good to go.

Of course to each his own--after all we all have unique situations
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Smile Lubed bullet wash question..

Can the sized/lubed bullets be cleaned in a hot water bath-cooled-lube cleaned off of the top of the water-cleaned in solvent and then PC??

I know that sounds like a lot of work, but I have done the same to clean out old lube out of my Lubersizer..Bill
    Outdoor Sportsman For Life

Happiness is a GREAT Sprue

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
    Can the sized/lubed bullets be cleaned in a hot water bath-cooled-lube cleaned off of the top of the water-cleaned in solvent and then PC??

I know that sounds like a lot of work, but I have done the same to clean out old lube out of my Lubersizer..Bill
    I just soak them in acetone and cook'em...worked well for me, every time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    depending on your OCD level you could could shoot them (which is what I did with mine lubed ones) or wash them off and PC.

I like to PC bullets but not enough to add work to bullets that are already good to go.

Of course to each his own--after all we all have unique situations
    Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way about reworking perfectly good boolits. I fished around under the reloading bench and found a three-pound coffee can of .44 Spl. empties that, in the back of my mind, I knew were down there somewhere. The big Dillon is already set up for .44 Mag. so all I need is to adjust the dies and powder measure and I'll turn about half those SWCs into six-gun fodder.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I just ran into the situation you are wondering about. I had a bunch of 429421 that I didn't like the lube (a homemade one that smoked way too much for me) so I just boiled them in water and then dried them. I just PC'd a bunch of them with HF White and they took the powder well and turned out ok. They aren't the works of Art that you see on the site but they're serviceable and will work fine.