Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sizing Paper Jackets

Boolit Master
    docone31
    After you finish building a house the work really starts. Mother Nature wants all the materials back and you have to work to keep it. I just got through taking off 96 pcs of 10x3 tin off my house and replacing it with 48 pcs. 3x18 of brown metal roofing. The old roof was nailed down with about 3 times to many ring shank nails. Can't complain much, it lasted 30 yrs. I thank God for good friends that stayed with me till the job was done.Seems that life can get in the way of shooting and loading.

My Lee boolit sizer is a little large 3085,patch is .006. After the paper shrinks it is .314 and you can see the greese grooves. I sized some of them to .308 after lubing with LLA, the ones with a gas check cut the paper off and left the body wraped. I shot then in a 30-06 to see what would happen.Don't have the load with me but they shot about 2 in. at 100 yds. You never know what works till you try it.

beemer

Boolit Master

Beemer,
    We got an old Cracker Shack. It was built in 1955. When we got it, immediately a sink hole made itself known.
    I had to jack the house, fill the sink hole, hydropack it, then build a permanent wood foundation. From there I replumbed, repowered, tore out walls, made a 7' ceiling into a cathedral ceiling. Took 12! layers of shingle off the roof and reroofed using 3/4 OSB on top of 1"cypress then membrane roofing. We live in Hurricane central.
    I refloored, using a Pergo type of floor, with a 2' tile border on all the floors. I took the 12 X 20 shed that was here when we got it, made a pier and post foundation, using concrete columns and moved the shed to the house so it attaches with a deck. The house had been 16" down in the back. All the walls had been built level to that drop!
    New kitchen, black marble counter tops, Z-brick inerior walls. All the walls are T-11, with the ceilings Bead Board. The original house was board and batten. I took the siding, reattached the cypress siding then ripped cypress to make the battens. Between them I put #1 shakes. The windows are kicked out 12" with tile in the window frame.
    I removed all the insulation and made self venting walls and roof. Essentially, the heat of the sun heats the roof. This creates a vaccum which pulls cooler air from under the home through the walls and out roof ridge vents. The house had a crappy 3 ton central air unit. With that unit on the original home, our electric bill was 175$ a month for cooling and simple useage.
    Rewiring, we now have all isolated circuits, three circuit panels, a self contained generator that powers the entire house with the flip of a switch.
    We just got our electric bill, it was 80$. That is our shop which we are also building up, the shed turned into a casting shop, and the house. My wife is impressed. She argued with me every step of the way.
    I also think, sizing to .308 I might not need gas checks. There is not much room there after sizing. I believe the paper might act as a gasket at that point. Firing is proof.
    I also have a feeling I am going to need to downsize my loads. My starting point is the lowest Lee loads for the .303. I will need a load for my 30-06, 308, and I am limited to 4895.

Boolit Master
    dacone31
    Has it ever crossed your mind that it might have been easier to build a new one. Reminds me of my cousin that turned an old apple house into a nice place.

I haven't shot my 30-06 much with pp but 46 gr. of Win 760 and a dab of dacron under the pp 180 Lee sized to .311 went under 2 in. The bore is .309 the best I remember.

beemer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12