RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 1903 springfield 2 twist bbl. cast ok?

Boolit Mold

1903 springfield 2 twist bbl. cast ok?

Have a 1903 springfield with a 2 twist bbl. Just had it checked by gunsmith. Headspace ok. And borescope revealed a good bore. However trying to decide if its worth finishing it, it was my dads deer rifle project before I was born. Never finished it. He was a bird hunter it set in moms closet all these years. Sporter stock never finished it still bare wood. Not drilled and tapped. Bbl was turned down and reblued no sights. Will these two twist shoot cast ok is it worth scoping or should I part it out. Obtw high number serial number.

Boolit Master

Yep, a two groove Springfield barrel in good shape will shoot cast boolits just fine. I've used everything from 110 grain RCBS boolits to 208 grain Lyman 3112994 boolits through several of 'em with great success. I size to either .309" or .310" and I find that velocities in the neighborhood of 1,800 fps seem to be the sweet spot for them. The 110 grain cast boolits are usually shot over Unique power for about 1,400 fps as a small game load. The heavier boolits (180 to 210 grains) usually work best with 4198 or 4759 at the velocity levels I like. 4895 also works well.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Remington made 1903a3 with the a 2 groove barrel and it shoots cast and jacketed very well. I used it in several matches with a cast with targets at 200 yards. If the boolit strayed out of the ten ring it was my fault and not my gun or ammo.

Boolit Bub
    I too have an 03A3 with a 2 groove barrel. Mine is a Remington. My bullet is Lyman 311291 sized 311.
    Good accuracy with either H4198 or 2400.

In Remembrance

Is the rifle just an `03 or an O3-A3 Springfield? If it is a high serial `03 then it is safe for modern loadings and can safely be drilled and tapped for scoping as the 03-A3 would be. The bolt handle will need altering to work with a scope being mounted. A different type safety may also need to be installed to clear the scope in operation. If the rifle has had sportering already done to it the continuing work will not detract any value. A wild guess would be that the sporter stock is a Bishop brand. I have several 03-A3`s and an original high serialed `03. The single `A3 that I finished sportering from what the previous `Bubba` had started made a very accurate rifle with its 2 groove barrel using 150 gr. `J` bullets.Robert

Boolit Master
    I have a 1903 Springfield action with a two grove barrel that shots very well. I have won many matches with it. I think the two grove handles cast better than the four grove.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, its a high number 1903 as stamped on reciever ring. my dad worked for a gun smith rebluing firearms after hurricane audry 1957. so I am guessing this work was done in late 50s early 60s. The sporter stock was fit really well. So is the bluing on the bbl. The bolt was missing a few parts which I purchased quite a few years back. I do not want to drill into the reciever. Is the clamp on s+k mount worth the money. I was told the nice reciever and trigger parts are in demand for the guys restoring them back to military config. I have several nice bolt hunting rifles and a few correct old military rifles that are safe queens. So kind of at a crossroads, as my gun fund is really low? 6 kids will do that! what to do?

Le Loup Solitaire
    In an extensive investigation into the performance of 30 06 with cast bullets, Col Harrison in the NRA Handloading Book wrote his findings that 2 groove barrels (and 1917 5 groovers) performed exceptionally well with certain cast bullet designs...specifically "bore-riders" such as Lyman #311334, 311332, the RG-4(Now Saeco 301) etc. The reason for this is that where lands make up most of the bore circumference then the longer nose portion of the bullet is guided positively by the lands. However bullet dimensions are important and cannot be undersize either in the nose or the bullet body. The article and the book IIRC is listed in the cast pic section of this forum and definitely worth reading. LLS

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. Only .30 cal moulds are the lee 170 fp gc and the 155 gr "ak, sks" lee boolit mould are either of these close in design to what you are talking about. Actually other than my 45-70 ranch dog mould this is my only experience with casting for rifles. Been casting for pistols for a long time. not sure what bore rider means. Excuse my ignorance, but thats why I joined this forum! And thanks I have gotten great advice here just lurking and my quality and groups have significantly improved on everything I cast for. The red hf powder coating on that 170 gr fp shoots great in my m1 garand. With my alloy after coating and gc they weigh 178 grs so use 180 gr load data.

Boolit Master

The lee 170 gr fp is a bore rider, which means that the nose portion of the bullet is designed to be bore diameter, and the back half is groove diameter. Of course, the bore of your rifle, the dimensions of your particular mould, and the alloy you use will determine if it actually is the same diameter as the bore. The base can be sized to .002 over groove diameter typically, but sizing the nose isn't usually done. If one desires to do so, NOE makes a nose sizer so that one can match groove and bore diameter of their cast bullet to the bore and groove of their rifle.

I have found the lee 170 gr fp to be a good shooter, as have many others. A good design in an inexpensive mould.

The Lee 155 is not a bore rider as it tapers from .300 at the ogive to .305 or more just before the shoulder, which is full groove diameter at .311+. It shoots well in a variety of firearms, particularly milsurps.

Edit: I see you are powder coating. This often increases the nose diameter of bore riders which can be problematic if they exceed bore diameter.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Not to worry that lee "sks" bullet shoots just fine in the two grooves also

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I would say definitely complete the project your dad started. That would be very special to me anyhow if I had that opportunity. It sounds like your dad knew what he was doing so what you have at this point is not a "bubba job". Since funds are low this will put you in a nice shooter without spending too much more money. You are very fortunate to have this memory of your dad.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    I've been playing with Springfields for nearly 50 years now, both 2 and 4 groove, and I can honestly say I never felt 2 groove barrels were anything particularly special, one way or another.

If you want to see just how good a Springfield can really be, save your nickels for a National Match or NRA Sporter.

I have a 2 groove Remington 03A3 and it shoots cast pretty good with one exception, I get perfect boat shaped keyholes about 1 of every 5 shots of a 311365 loaded with 13gr of Red Dot. There is a couple inches of a weird frosty spot in the bore so that may have something to do with it but it is strange. I can use the same boolit with a normal rifle powder load and all is well and accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    Back off about .3 grains to 12.7 grs of rd dot and watch the world improve with just about any 180 to 220 grain boolit in that 03a3.
    Mine are sized .311.

Boolit Buddy
    PS. Winchester large rifle primers work best for me.
    Sub minute at 100 yds is not at all unusual.

Boolit Buddy
    Guess was not finished.
    Keyhole is usually associated with undersized
    Boolits.
    They get a gentle bush with slow powders and can handle being undersized better.
    But with the quick push of fast powders like RD
    they will strip.

My well worn USMC four grouve requires .312 boolit to.perform CONSISTANTLY well.

Boolit Buddy
    My relatively new 1943 two groove barrel on a M1903a3 prefers 0.314", not sure why but it does. It is also slightly short chambered and I have not looked at the math to see if that is why. I have yet to get a 1 MOA group with iron sights. I may need to scope something and see what I can do.

Dave