Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Ultra simple pellet/.22 rimfire trap

Ultra simple pellet/.22 rimfire trap

I got a little bored the other night and since I am currently doing an online 10 meter pellet competition I needed a little bit better of a trap. I made this out of a 5 gallon bucket, a clip board, some screws and 5 pounds of duct seal. I have not tested it with .22 and I am sure it would require about 15 pounds of duct seal but the fact that it is made from a bucket makes for a lot of room for additional duct seal. For pellets it works just fine with 5 pounds. I shoot an 800 fps pellet rifle and the pellets do not even go in beyond the tail. Also it is pretty quiet. More putty will make it even quieter as the fact that it is bucket kind of makes it sound like a drum when the pellets hit.

Boolit Grand Master
    Clever

Moderator Emeritus
    Pretty cool...

I have seen pellet traps where the person used a 2x4 frame and some expanding foam, like you would use to seal windows.

John

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    So, how do you recover your lead from the duct seal?
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

The pellets don't go in very deep. The putty is pretty thick but you can pull pellets out pretty easy. If they go in too deep a small nail will pop them right out. You can also remove all of the putty and knead it and the pellets will fall out. Before this I was using a box full of paper scraps and it was really hard to recover the lead. It would be possible to fill the entire bucket with the putty and you could probably shoot almost anything you want into it however the duct seal costs 2 dollars a pound and it takes 5 pounds to fill one inch of the bucket so a whole bucket full could cost a lot more. I shoot a lot so when I can't get to the range I have to shoot in my apartment and I have exactly 12 meters from wall to wall so I have a 25 ft marker and a 10 meter marker because these are the most common competitions I shoot in. Noise is a big concern so this trap takes out half of the noise involved. I wanted to get a silencer as well but it turns out that even to put a silencer on an airgun you have to have a permit.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Mine isn't quite as simple as a bucket... but it's loads easier to recover the lead.

I go and get a stack of Carpet Samples, cut them in kalf and layer them in a wood crate that I connled together. Lasts a long time and the bullets/pellets just fall to the bottom. .22 shorts only go through about 6 layers of carpet. I use 12 and a solid wood backer just in case.

My indoor range is also just about 20ft.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master
    I wonder how a bucket with some of that crumb rubber would work? I guess then you would need to put a piece of cardboard over the opening, to keep the rubber in. But I think lead recovery might be a bit easier.
    lathesmith

Boolit Buddy
    Made mine outa a wine box (holds 12 bottles) FREE from the local liquer store ! made a
    1 X 4'' frame and put in the front of the box----loaded the rest of the box with newspaper !
    When it is ready/needed to refresh the trap, I just take a plastic bag and dump everything into it except the wooden frame and wine box !
    My trap will hold 2 targets held up by the normal stick pins (fancy thump tacks)!
    If you are worried about pass through put a cookie tin behind it or a thin steel plate !

Hipshot

P.S. My rifle does 1000 fps------no problemo senior !
    P.P.S. Never thought about recycling the lead as it is so soft that the only thing that it would be good for is fishing sinkers !
    Last edited by Hipshot; 05-06-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Mold

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
    Made mine outa a wine box (holds 12 bottles) FREE from the local liquer store ! made a
    1 X 4'' frame and put in the front of the box----loaded the rest of the box with newspaper !
    When it is ready/needed to refresh the trap, I just take a plastic bag and dump everything into it except the wooden frame and wine box !
    My trap will hold 2 targets held up by the normal stick pins (fancy thump tacks)!
    If you are worried about pass through put a cookie tin behind it or a thin steel plate !

Hipshot

P.S. My rifle does 1000 fps------no problemo senior !
    P.P.S. Never thought about recycling the lead as it is so soft that the only thing that it would be good for is fishing sinkers !
    Hey did you ever hear of a muzzle loader or cap and ball pistol? They need pure lead for the boolits.. Just another reason to keep the lead

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie

What Duct seal?

Can you please give me/us the Manufacture and part number and all other info necessary to acquiring this specific Duct Seal. I went to Grainger and there were so many types that I walked away wanting more info from You. Gracias

Boolit Mold
    So I bought some "duct seal" to create my own boolit trap. When I got it home I opened it up and it is nothing like what has been described in the past, it is like a creamy paste with what seems to be fiber glass strands in it for reinforcement. I don't think I got the right stuff but it says duct sealant on the label. Any links on where I can find the right Duct seal?
    All Rights Reserved!!!

Hey, if it works!!!!!

Boolit Master

i just cast a layer of lead in the bottom of a coffee can shoot ino it if i need the lead just put the can on the fire