RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 year old 45 ACP brass

Boolit Buddy

99 year old 45 ACP brass

Picking up brass on the range yesterday, cleaning today and noticed some head stamps I hadn't seen before. Are these really from 1917, 1918, 1929?
    Any one interested in them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Boolit Master

Yup, they are really that old. Someone shot up some money right there.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    Those would go good with my WW1, 1918, 1911 45acp.
    What you gotta have for them?
    Thanks, bb
    Keep your powder dry....blackbike
    :takinWiz:

Yes, that old. I have 3 loaded rounds on a half moon clip with 1914 headstamp

Those probably came out of 20 round brown paperboard boxes, and had the load listed on the box. I've got a couple of the boxes full of original ammo around here somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Yup, they are really that old. Someone shot up some money right there.
    Agreed...why would someone do that? Very nice find for you though!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ZmanWakeForest

A good parent prepares the child for the path, not the path for the child.

Boolit Master

Are a few of those split?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy

I've never seen any before although I have some .45 from WWII and .30-06 with a headstamp of 17. Great find!

Boolit Mold
    found a box of WWII 45 acp at an estate sale...shot one and it went "bang" amazing after all these years...

Boolit Master

years ago, I found a couple of 18 dated 45 rounds that someone had attempted to fire but they didn't go off. They have cupro-nickle jacketed bullets.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Probably corrosive as all get out. We had about three twenty round boxes back in the early 60s. 1917 headstamp. All fired great in a M1917 Colt but they were corrosive. Clean them good or they will corrode as an afterthought./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Repeat of what Beagle said. My dad had a can of WWI ammo he opened up a few years ago to shoot (sealed can, not sure why he opened it) and fired about 30-40 of them through his Clark 1911. Cleaned it using Hoppes afterwards.

Went back about a month later and found his bore covered in a thin layer of rust.

Clean in a warm water bath is what I read they used to do way back but some of the older guys might be able to speak to that better.

Boolit Mold
    My Father-In-Law is retired Army, and 80 years old. He's been cleaning out lately, and handed me a box of .45 ACP Ammo. It was all FA42 Headstamps, so no particular collector value. Loaded it up and guess what? EVERY ROUND FIRED WITHOUT A HITCH. Makes me sad to think that the manufacturing genius and quality that we once had in this country is gone, and the best that we can do is Chinese swill.

that ain't how we talk around here.
    Last edited by runfiverun; 01-29-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, corrosive primed, and will grow a nice green fuzz inside your bore and pit it in short order. The old "Windex" cleaning regimen was always called for, but the ideal way to prevent the inevitable rusting is to use lots of warm/hot water and soap to dissolve the salts left behind, not unlike cleaning after black powder. I have shot my share of corrosive WWII M2 Ball in Garands, but religiously field stripped and cleaned everything exposed to the gases, to include the bolt, and oiled them all up before reassembly. I always double checked them after a day or so, just in case I missed anything. The fouling is hygroscopic and will suck the moisture right out the air forming rust that will "take root & grow".
    The older 20 rd packages (if in good shape) are indeed collectable, albeit to a small group of people. Having a full box to display with a similar vintage Pistol would be very cool.
    When I shot for my MP Company's Combat Pistol Team back in the early 80s (still carried and competed with the M1911A1), some of the practice ammo we were issued was the old steel cased EC ammo made in Evansville Plant (Sunbeam?). I believe there were two plants there and the headstamps were slightly different to identify each plant. This ammo was exceptional and we even used it for some of our Postal Matches in Bullseye. The fouling was minimal, but still deadly to the bore if not cleaned properly.
    Got-R-Did.
    Last edited by Got-R-Did; 01-28-2016 at 08:11 PM.

The Chrysler Evansville plant "produced 96% of all the .45 auto ammo produced in WW II in US"

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/fact...lle-plant.html

Lots of it was steel cased - have some of those around. Sunbeam Electrical Plant in Evansville developed the technology to draw the steel cases, and turned them over to Chrysler to complete the loading of 45 auto ammo. Sunbeam may be the "smaller" company you were remembering.

Grew up 40 miles away from there; heard stories of how many locals worked at the war plants and later at Whirlpool plant in Evansville.

More photos:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=bf...20WWII&f=false

Good luck, GJ
    Last edited by garrisonjoe; 01-28-2016 at 08:32 PM.

As to why anyone would fire such ammo; Perhaps the person that fired them doesnt care about the monetary value, but they had some sentimental value. Such as ammo that was received with grandpas old gun or such.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice!
    I have a handful from the 40's that I still reload, but as of late when I come across them I have been putting them up.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Soooooo . . . is this a "discussion" thread about WWI era casings or does the OP want to sell these?

Boolit Buddy
    You are right BedBug; I will refrain from sharing in this section in the future. Did not intend to hijack the thread. Should I delete my entry?

GarrisonJoe; excellent links, Many Thanks!
    Got-R-Did.

When I first got into the 1911 pistols (1961), there was scads of surplus WWII and earlier ammo about and I fired many thousands of rounds of the stuff without a hitch.

I would remove the barrel, put it in boiling soapy water on the stove. Remove it with tongs and run hot tap water down the barrel and let it air dry. It would dry almost instantly if I blew through the barrel.

A brushing with any bore cleaner followed by a few patches and the job was done. Never a spec of rust in the Remington-Rand 1911A1 barrel!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast