WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Pot ???

Boolit Man

Which Pot ???

I have been researching pots all evening. I like the Lyman Mag 25 and the RCBS Pro Melt. I have read mostly very good reviews about both with the exception of the mold guide on the Lyman. I am 2 to 300 dollars sick of the drip and constant tinkering with the Lee.

The Lee was a cheap investment to see if casting was something I wanted to do. Right Now Midway has the RCBS for $329 with a $75 rebate and the Lyman for $279 so after rebate you could get the RCBS cheaper. Throw in the guide kit and the cover for the RCBS made by a member here and you'd have a few dollars more in the RCBS.

All that to ask this question- If you were buying a pot today which would you get? The Lyman with the PID or the RCBS and mold guide kit? All I've read here it's been toss up. Help me make up my mind PLLLLLLEASE
    A bumble bee is considerable faster than a John Deere tractor

Banned

If I were limited to these two choices, I would get the Pro Melt. I get free shipping with Amazon Prime, so that is where I would go for $326.00 and free shipping and rebate and member mold guide.

Boolit Buddy
    Get a Pro Melt! I have three. All of them have modified Lyman mold guides installed. I have no drip problems. The oldest was a gift in 1991 from my in-laws. Who knows how many hundreds of pounds of alloy have been through it.

Bill

Boolit Man
    The $329 is before the rebate so cost would be $254 after rebate. I know Midway's shipping is kinda high so I think I'll order the Pro Melt from Amazon if the rebate is valid through them. Thanks guys!!!

The rebate is from RCBS regardless of who you buy it from. All year this year spend $50 and get $10 back from RCBS. Spend $300 and get $75 back from RCBS.

I have the RCBS Pro Melt. I got it to replace a Lee leak-o-matic. No regrets. Even though I am now casting with a Magma Master Caster, The Pro Melt will remain. I have no experience with Lyman pots so could only tell you what I have read. You have probably already read it.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Pro melt! I have had and used one sine 1978 and it never leaked or missed a beat in any way. Moreover it is covered by an iron clad warantee by RCBS just in case something does go wrong. Inner pot is stainless so no rust issue possible. A lot of folks like them. LLS

Build a PID controller ($20 - $40 depending on what you buy), and polish your spout/plug.

If you really want to spend your money, I like the Pro Melt also.
    __

I just did this. Pro melt through amazon with rebate. I have my own pid. Using it stock with no issues. Huge improvement over the Lee. Loving it!

Boolit Master
    I always go with RCBS based on quality and excellent customer service. Also resale value is some thing to consider.

Boolit Bub
    How fast can you get lead to flow out of the pro melt? I cast some very large sinkers (24 oz) and am using a lee with a modified spout to get more flow to fill the cavity. Thinking about upgrading to the RCBS to get rid of the drip hassle and have the temp control but unsure if it will provide enough flow for the big stuff.

Banned

The ProMelt can adjust to get s very fast pour.

Post a WTB and you may get lucky. I have gotten my request answered each time I have posted there. Be patient and you will find a deal.

Boolit Man
    The postman left the Pro Melt on the front stoop this evening. I got it assembled and ready to try with a new to me RCBS 35 cal 200 grn GC mold for the 35 Rem.

It's kinda busy around here right now in trying to get a house ready to sell so I won't be able to try it until Sunday after church, but I'll post my opinion on it then.

Boolit Master

I think the pro-melt also has a stainless steel " pot". My Lyman has a steel and it rusts.

The promelt has rcbs customer service behind it. The other, not so much.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I think the pro-melt also has a stainless steel " pot". My Lyman has a steel and it rusts.
    That is correct. Mine started leaking at the spout (30 years old) and RCBS sent me a new pot liner and stem when I assured them that I could install it. The new and old ones were both stainless.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS had a problem with the thermostat a few years back. Seems they changed suppliers and the on -off-on range was too great. Should have been cleaned up by now but thought I would mention it.
    RCBS has also been great about sending me parts I needed for it. My pot was made in 1981 and I bought it used about 10 years ago so I have nothing but praise for it.

Boolit Mold
    My pre RCBS branded Pro Melt is going strong. No complaints here.

Boolit Man
    Finally got to try the Pro Melt. I think it has made a better caster out of me. I cast quite a few 200 gr RN for a 35 Rem. I was just going to cast 20 or so to work something up for a 336, but after I got the mold up to temp and running good I cast 216 bullets before I quit. Never once did I have to "play" with the temp and not one single drip. Should of by passed the Lee and went straight to the RCBS.

Banned

had two lymans that I lost in a fire. replaced them with rcbs pots. I do like the rcbs pots better but both are good pots and the lymans are cheaper. At least used to be. Thing I really like about rcbs is they stand behind there stuff much better then lyman does.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    buy the best or you will waste money get frustrated and think bad bullets your fault when bad pot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast