Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USAC plastic ammo

Boolit Grand Master

Question USAC plastic ammo

Has anyone shot these????
    In the 80's, a company called USAC made plastic cased ammo.
    I think in 38sp.
    I've seen an add for it, but I don't ever remember seeing them.

Boolit Master

there was a fad around here of making hot glue bullets, pretty much the same thing.

Boolit Master
    I remember a plastic cased ammo. It was back in the 90s, 38 special, I dont remember if they had anything else. Came with instructions on how to reload it without a press. New primer, some powder, and snap a new bullet in the mouth, ready to use again. I never reloaded any, don't remember having but one box we burned up and that was it.

Boolit Master
    I was given a box of it ,38 special, about 8 years ago. It shot fine. I still may have a few if I can find them.

Boolit Master

I have a box of plastic case .223, never shot any just kept it in the ammo locker.

Boolit Grand Master

I still have a couple boxes of this stuff. it is a plastic case with a regule=ar primer and a bullet that is copper coated and made to juse snap into the case. They shoot but accuracy wasn't up to snuff for me as from my K38 they were over 2" at 25 yards and with good wadcutters on a good day under 1" was more like it.

They came out in 1983, in a local gun store here around 1984. They used a special heeled bullet and came with a handheld reloading tool.

That was the first plastic cased not shot shell rounds I know of but folks haven't given up on the idea. There are still a few folks trying to make them reliable.

These .223 were given to me (1000 total) by a friend who knew I have a .223 contender after they failed in just about every way one could in an AR 15.

I have a buddy that has 3 or 4 boxes of the .38 USAC projos
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master

Not from USAC but picked up a couple of boxes of these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	am-32-blue-german-bullets1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	159250

Haven't fired any, but thought they would be useful for nuisance animals when I seen them. But upon reading up on them I think they can also be lethal, so not going to be scaring any loose dogs or cats with these.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Perma-Banned
    interestin' to know. I found a couple empty cases on my last trip to the range. just assumed it was from blanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Anyone willing to sell a few unloaded rounds?????
    I'd like to add them to my bullet collection.

Boolit Grand Master

I remember seeing ads for the 38 special plastic cased ammo and the handy-dandy reloading tool, but it disappeared about three weeks after hitting the market.
    Anyone remember the all plastic shotgun shells ? They lasted longer and I still have a half box of 20 ga. shells somewhere . The shot shells worked .
    Gary

In Remembrance

There were 2 all plastic shotshells that I recall. The Active shell that had no brass head. There was also the Wanda shell that needed a top over shot wad due to the case being a more hard semi clear plastic. I believe I still have about a dozen boxes of those .38 shells down in the vault - somewhere.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    There were 2 all plastic shotshells that I recall. The Active shell that had no brass head. There was also the Wanda shell that needed a top over shot wad due to the case being a more hard semi clear plastic. I believe I still have about a dozen boxes of those .38 shells down in the vault - somewhere.Robert

The Active shells required their wads since they didn't have a base wad to speak of and regular wads would seat too deep. I liked them for turkey hunting since they held a ton of shot and powder. I loaded over 1-5/8oz in a 2-3/4" shell. I took several turkeys with them. My old Ithaca wouldn't take 3" loads at all.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	Usrac 011.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	159424I have just one full box of loaded rounds and one box of bullets left. I have had inquiries about selling some. If anyone wants some PM me and I will send a bullet and a loaded case for a buck.

Boolit Master

Don't mail loaded ammo it is a felony

Boolit Mold
    I have a new box dated 1984. USAC made these for a year or two and then quietly disappeared from the ammo scene. To reload them, you needed their special bullets and their hand reloader tool. My dad got them back in the day because he was working on working up loads for all plastic .45 ACP for a local business that was molding the cases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post

Name:	Usrac 011.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	159424I have just one full box of loaded rounds and one box of bullets left. I have had inquiries about selling some. If anyone wants some PM me and I will send a bullet and a loaded case for a buck.
    PM sent

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    They came out in 1983, in a local gun store here around 1984. They used a special heeled bullet and came with a handheld reloading tool.

That was the first plastic cased not shot shell rounds I know of but folks haven't given up on the idea. There are still a few folks trying to make them reliable.

These .223 were given to me (1000 total) by a friend who knew I have a .223 contender after they failed in just about every way one could in an AR 15.

They don’t work in the mini-14 either.

Trounds, for the Dardic gun, were plastic cased.

DG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast