MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Wild turkey breakfast sausage

Perma-Banned

Wild turkey breakfast sausage

Fillet the breast and thigh meat off the turkey, the drumb sticks are really difficult they have little bone like tendons that run through them making them difficult to bone out, it can be done but for what little you end up with I don't feel it's worth it, I either crockpot or better yet pressure cook the drumb sticks. After I have all the meat I can get from the bird/birds I run the chilled meat through my grinder using the fine plate, I use a seasoning made by HI-Mountain called prairie sage, there is another brand called HI-Country and in my families and friends opinion isn't near as good but can easily be mistaken for HI-mountain because the names are so close, get the HI-Mountain brand! The seasoning is pre measured in separate bags and will either do 12 or 24 pounds of meat, I have found you get about 6 pounds of boned out meat from a 2 yr old long beard tom, so it takes 2 birds to make the 12 pound batch, I have found it's better to over season a little than under season! So if you only have 8 or 10 pounds of meat go ahead and use the 12 pound seasoning packet. You can mix the seasoning with the chunks of meat before grinding or after its ground, I prefer to mix after its ground (don't look as pretty but I feel it's more thoroughly mixed) when you get the seasoning all mixed in well it's time to bag to your size preference and freeze it, you can fry a patty up immediately if you like! Other than the ground turkey having an odd texture It's hard to tell from pork breakfast sausage, except this stuff is actually good for you! Give it a try, you will be amazed! You can obviously add ingredients of your choice to the seasoning packets if you feel the need? Cayene for extra heat etc. the HI-Mountain kits come with directions on how much water to add per pound of meat etc. it's super simple! And they have a few different flavors, like country maple, mountain man, and the prairie sage (maybe more that I haven't seen?) we have yet to try one we didn't like in the HI-Mountain brand, like I said give it a try, I'm confident you will be amazed!

Dunno about your area, up here fresh ground turkey is often on sale, cheap.

We mostly make chili with it. Salt, pepper, chili powder, touch of garlic and a dash of your favorite hot sauce.
    Brown it with onions, add a can of tomatoes, couple can's of beans, I mostly use kidney up here as they can be found inexpensive.

I grew up with West Texas Chili with Pinto beans but that can be an all day proposition.

The quick and dirty turkey chili can be slapped together in 20 minutes or so, allowed to simmer for another 20 while cornbread cooks. Yum!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Thank you ! We have been dieting and making sausage out of chicken and turkey . Hot links , Italian regular and spicy with variations (onion and bell pepper , jalapeno , etc ) and have come up with some good sausage . Just a bit over half the calories of pork and it's dang good !! Spices make the sausage , as you pointed out the texture is a bit different but not 'bad' different . Got plans on smoked sausage , polish , kielbasa , etc . Thanks for the heads up on Hi- Mountain .

(I agree on the drumsticks , too hard to bone for the amount of meat you get PLUS they are great to cook by themselves)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

We mostly make chili with it. Salt, pepper, chili powder, touch of garlic and a dash of your favorite hot sauce.
    Brown it with onions, add a can of tomatoes, couple can's of beans, I mostly use kidney up here as they can be found inexpensive.

I grew up with West Texas Chili with Pinto beans but that can be an all day proposition.

The quick and dirty turkey chili can be slapped together in 20 minutes or so, allowed to simmer for another 20 while cornbread cooks. Yum!

Good recipe GhostHawk , chili has been on my mind . (chicken , turkey)

Perma-Banned

It's a fairly rare occasion that I walk in a store so I have no idea on prices? I hear my wife complain about high prices now and then, she shops between the local store and a Safeway close to where she works, you got me curious about it now, I will have her check

Boolit Master

Y'all make me hungry,love smoked turkey wether it is wild or tame.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned

is it dry without fat added?

Lloyd I always add canola oil to the pan if I am frying turkey. Yes it is very very lean. But very healthy.

Moderator Emeritus

I am blaming all of you! Northern Tool had the smaller grinder on sale so I picked one up for $69(after coupon on top of sale price) + shipping. Made me hungry for good sausage, something I miss since moving away from New Ulm in the 80's. Couple smaller groceries and the butcher I go to make sausage but none of it is spicy to my taste, it is MN seasoned AKA bland!

Perma-Banned
    I clicked on this thinkin' it was gonna be about cookin' with bourbon.

Moderator Emeritus

I do have a hand crank grinder but with bad shoulders it is to hard on me, 10 pounds of meat leaves me aching for days after so I went electric. Next trip to town I am running out to the butcher to see if he has any fresh pork butt(usually all he has is frozen). Want some breakfast sausage seasoned the way I like it! Need to make some spicy Italian sausage too for my spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I do have a hand crank grinder but with bad shoulders it is to hard on me, 10 pounds of meat leaves me aching for days after so I went electric. Next trip to town I am running out to the butcher to see if he has any fresh pork butt(usually all he has is frozen). Want some breakfast sausage seasoned the way I like it! Need to make some spicy Italian sausage too for my spaghetti!
    You did good , I have turned the crank for the last time myself . Got an electric grinder a few months ago . No turning back , heck like they always said............It don't cost that much to fly first class !!

That does sound like a good recipe! Thanks.