Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Do i really need this?

Boolit Master

Do i really need this?

You Know the inkering you get when you accumulate a bunch of reloading stuff for a rifle or pistol you do not have? Well, 9 MM brass grows on trees around here. Came across a die set and 1000 bullets with it.

I shoot a 44 mag and a 45 acp. I am pretty good with both.

Aside from the excuse: Why Not, or: because you don't have one, What good is it? What does it do any better than my 45? DO I REALLY NEED ONE?

Aside from casting my own boolits, which I do for the 44 and 45, there is no money savings whatsoever compared to buying store bought factory ammo.

Boolit Master

2:1 or more bullets on the casting side and less powder. Cheaper to shoot and 9MM brass is almost free. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

Banned

3 or so grs of powder and 125grs of lead.
    you could do that with a 38 but 9mm brass has been spotted at 17.00 a K before and is easy to find for about $3.00 a hundred.

I remember seeing 38 special brass [like 35 gallon drums of it] for under 2 cents each long ago.
    I'd load up on it and shoot mine [probably buy a couple more 38's too] a lot more if I found it for that price again.

Boolit Master

you don't need it. you should sell all the 9mm stuff to me

Boolit Buddy
    I have a full size 9mm at my son's, I think his wife shoot's it some. I much prefer DA revolver's. When I decided to get a concealed carry permit, I gave another though to a CC gun. I wanted something that layed flat against my body, my DA's don't, I wanted more fire power than a revolver gave me. I wanted very controllable recoil, a cartridge fairly easy and inexpensive to reload so I could put in more trigger time. my other Semi auto, Ruger P89 is simply to bulky for me. Heavy for carry and harder to conceal. Other wise it worked well. My son has a Glock in 40cal. I didn't even consider a 40cal. The 38 super would have been a good choice but case's a bit hard to come by. I ended up with a S&W Shield in 9mm, a compact. it meet's everything i was looking for and case's really are every where and cheap! Now if I wanted the pistol for anything other than defense, no way would i have got a 9mm. it combine's decent velocity with fairly heavy bullet's, very moderate recoil and very inexpensive to reload. I'd hate to have to rely on hitting a target at 50yds with it!

What does it do better than your 45? Less expensive to reload, lighter weight, lot less recoil, easier to hide, faster to get back on target. now if I thought a defense gun was necessary for much more than 10yds, I'd have to rethink the choice. Shooting 4x4 block's at 10yds is awfully simple!

Boolit Master
    Need??? This word I do not know the meaning of

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Jeeze . . . you mean there are others out there that accumulate brass, dies, molds, etc. for a gun they don't have and THEN they are forced to go out and buy one . . . or two . . . or three . . . . to shoot? I thought I was the only one!

YES . . . you do need a 9mm. I thought I didn't and then found myself owning one - a SR9. Then a Shield came along . . . I'm limiting myself to two though as I want to exercise "self control". Now I have a problem because I've accumulated .380 brass, dies and molds and have nothing to shoot it in. It's a never ending dilemma! And I'm a pretty dyed in the wool revolver guy to boot!

Send me that brass. It doesn't grow on trees around here, but at least it's reasonable still.

I like the the fact that 9mm projectiles are cheap, and it doesn't take much powder to run. You'll start feeling guilty about spending so much on primers before long...

You are over thinking the issue friend. Accumulation of any caliber brass for a currently un-owned firearm, is a sign that you need another firearm.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spfd1903 View Post
    you are over thinking the issue friend. Accumulation of any caliber brass for a currently un-owned firearm, is a sign that you need another firearm.

Boolit Master
    Of course you need to get something in 9mm to use that brass you found! I sorted out some brass recently and found that I had quite a few pieces of 45. Now I have a Walther PPQ 45 on layaway...
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Quote Originally Posted by spfd1903 View Post
    You are over thinking the issue friend. Accumulation of any caliber brass for a currently un-owned firearm, is a sign that you need another firearm.
    Oh jeeze, I'd better get rid of my growing stash of .308 brass.....the wife ain't going for any more shooting irons.....

Boolit Master
    Yep, less lead consumption and smaller guns. If you don't concealed carry and have a lifetime supply of lead, you don't need a 9mm.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    I formerly shot mostly 44 and some 357 in my Original Size VAQUEROS. After the divorce, I joined the local gun club with outdoor ranges. Like everyone else, I picked up stray brass...can't let it go to waste. It's 90% 9mm and I am now the owner of several GLOCKS. D*** free brass cost me a boolit mould and a conversion set up for my 550B, BUT it's a lot easier on the lead supply than my beloved 44s. Sure wish I could get a 9mm cylinder (or two) for the 357 VAQUEROS.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Jeeze . . . you mean there are others out there that accumulate brass, dies, molds, etc. for a gun they don't have and THEN they are forced to go out and buy one . . . or two . . . or three . . . . to shoot? I thought I was the only one!

YES . . . you do need a 9mm. I thought I didn't and then found myself owning one - a SR9. Then a Shield came along . . . I'm limiting myself to two though as I want to exercise "self control". Now I have a problem because I've accumulated .380 brass, dies and molds and have nothing to shoot it in. It's a never ending dilemma! And I'm a pretty dyed in the wool revolver guy to boot!
    FWIW, I have a 9mm LCR .... it will shoot 9mm with or without the Moonclip ...... & .380's with a Moonie .... Jus'ayin ......
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    A good deal on brass is ALWAYS a valid reason to get into a new cartridge. Heck, for that matter finding a discounted mold or set of dies is enough of a reason as far as I am concerned.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I've recently gone through the same thing. I had a couple coffee cans full of brass, dies, 3 molds, and even 2 mags for a 9mm. When i spotted a good deal on a used Glock 19 I went ahead and took the plunge. It was a bit of a fiasco to get it running without leading, but I think I'm there now. I don't think you'll regret getting one after you have one for a while.

Everyone needs at least one "duty size" 9mm handgun...