Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 50-70 Gov't

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWM View Post
    Buffalo Arms have the yellow book:
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/Yellow_B....aspx?CAT=4151
    But does the Yellow Book include all that is in the 50-70 Shooters Handbook?
    What he said was that the reloading information from the 50-70 book is in the Yellow Book. I have one coming.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Sorry for my absence everybody, been a little busy!

boommer: I kroil'd the barrel overnight and cleaned it, didn't see any shiny lead fragments come out. I hit It with more jb until it came out clean, same color as when it went in.
    Kevin Rohrer: Thank you for the information on the handbook. I'm going to get the yellow book.
    GWM: Will definitely get one of those molds, I'll make an account at NOE and reply to that thread.

Back to the thread at hand. I cleaned the bore using the JB, kroil, and chore boy. A lubed up patch goes in and comes out clean. I'm ready to slug the bore one final time and get my final measurement!

Boolit Buddy

I posted this question on the NOE board, but it doesn't look like a lot of activity over there. When there's a group buy like the one proposed here, are all the moulds identical or will they make custom diameters? Not being a mould maker, I don't know for sure, but I would think the money is in the tooling (Cherry) and it would not be a big deal to program in a few thousandths more on the diameter, but I'm not sure. My wife's Sharps has a .520 bore and a .528 groove. I would think a .520 bullet would be just the ticket. I have a Lee .515-450 mold that I am going to play around with paper patching. As is, the .515 falls all the way through the barrel. I seriously doubt a .515 will 'bump up' in that carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by milrifle View Post
    I posted this question on the NOE board, but it doesn't look like a lot of activity over there. When there's a group buy like the one proposed here, are all the moulds identical or will they make custom diameters? Not being a mould maker, I don't know for sure, but I would think the money is in the tooling (Cherry) and it would not be a big deal to program in a few thousandths more on the diameter, but I'm not sure. My wife's Sharps has a .520 bore and a .528 groove. I would think a .520 bullet would be just the ticket. I have a Lee .515-450 mold that I am going to play around with paper patching. As is, the .515 falls all the way through the barrel. I seriously doubt a .515 will 'bump up' in that carbine.
    Also nowhere near an expert. But, I think the whole idea behind a hollow base bullet is so that it is much easier to bump up to bore diameter.

Boolit Buddy

Actually, I would think it would need to bump up to groove diameter. At .515, you would be asking it to bump up .013". That seems like a lot. Also, I don't know that you could count on the whole bullet bumping up. The rear? Maybe. But I would think the front end would tend to rattle down the bore like an undersized bore rider. I was kinda thinking a bore sized bullet and let the obturation just fill the grooves. Is this a reasonable plan of attack?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by milrifle View Post
    Actually, I would think it would need to bump up to groove diameter. At .515, you would be asking it to bump up .013". That seems like a lot. Also, I don't know that you could count on the whole bullet bumping up. The rear? Maybe. But I would think the front end would tend to rattle down the bore like an undersized bore rider. I was kinda thinking a bore sized bullet and let the obturation just fill the grooves. Is this a reasonable plan of attack?
    Paper patching to bore size and pure lead may be the answer to your oversize bore problem. Even if you could find a mould, you might have a problem fitting a .528 into the case and or chambering problems. Have you considered relining the barrel to .515 groove? Lyman dies and an inexpensive
    Lee 450 gr mould and your good to go. It may cost around the same as a custom mould.

Duane

Boolit Buddy
    The standard for de-leading barrels is soaking the bore with gum turpentine and then tight patches with lots of elbow grease..

Boolit Buddy

Duane,

I was thinking a bore sized (.520) bullet and let the hollow base bump up to groove size (.528). .520 would fit nicely inside a fired case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by varsity07840 View Post
    ... Have you considered relining the barrel to .515 groove?... Duane
    Duane, his wife is shooting what sounds like an original Sharps percussion carbine that was converted to CF cartridge. Not sure I would want to sleeve it.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy

Kevin,

Yes that is correct.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Duane, his wife is shooting what sounds like an original Sharps percussion carbine that was converted to CF cartridge. Not sure I would want to sleeve it.

Kevin
    Understood. I guess I'm more in line with with the N-SSA school of thought on relined originals.
    I agree with you if the carbine is in collector condition, but if it's a "shooter", I have no problem
    with a reline, especially a Sharps, many of which were factory relined, mine included. My
    original 1841 Mississippi, rifled 1842 Springfield and flint 1816 Springfield all have Hoyt relines.
    Just my opinion, not gospel.

Duane

Boolit Master

Buffalo Arms now has copies of the 50-70 book for $25. I have mine.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Buffalo Arms now has copies of the 50-70 book for $25. I have mine.
    Outstanding, thank you!
    Just ordered my copy along with some other of barkers books!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345