WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Good starter setup? for a new guy to casting?

Boolit Bub

Good starter setup? for a new guy to casting?

I have the chance to buy this old pot, the ingot mold, gloves and 800 .358 bullets (or 25 lbs of lead ) for $50.

Think this is good to get me going? The pot looks too small maybe? And what about the rust? I guess it pours from the bottom so that's a plus.

I have reloaded a lot, but never casted. I will likely get a 2 cavity .355 mold just to try it. Any opinions are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3979.jpg   DSCN3977.jpg  
    Last edited by halvey; 01-21-2016 at 07:19 PM.

The 25# of lead is about $25 plus $7 shipping from members in the Swapping and Selling, the ingot mold is $12 plus $7 shipping new from Titan. If the 38 bullets are nice they would run you $60 - $75 if commercial cast (approx. price based on Laser Cast from Cabela's) Those however would be lubed and ready to load into brass. A lee mold to turn 25# of lead into 38 caliber would be about $20. Don't recall exactly what leather welding gloves cost, just bought some at harbor freight but price did not stick to brain material, say less than $10.

Stuff you melt lead in gets cruddy, needs to be cleaned. I saw a pot about like that at a gun show for IIRC $25 or $30. Old melters are a subject of their own that I know nothing about. New ones from Lee are about $60 but sometimes the old equipment is considered much better. I just don't know, I melt in a small cast iron or stainless steel pot over a propane burner and cast with a ladle. Use the same burner (fish fryer) to melt scrap into ingots in a dutch oven. My ingot molds are homemade from angle iron, or garage sale bread loaf or muffing pans. I'm all about it works well and is cheap. Er, I mean frugal, yeah that's it. Frugal.

Too bad Scott is not still in business, he would take those old pots and make them look like new.

If you have a revolver they tend to be easy to cast and load for. Casting is fun and very satisfying. If that stuff is worth it is a up to you. I would guess you can do the math and compare prices being charged against new provided hopefully that will help.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

That looks like a good deal to get started. It looks like a smaller pot but will be OK for 9MM or .357 bullets. You can drain the pot and clean the rust. If you get hog wild into casting you will probably upgrade to a larger pot.
    One of the critical things in casting is alloy temperature. You will need to determine your alloy temp. or the learning curve gets steeper. I don't see a thermometer. Also you should get a hot plate to get your mold up to temp. before casting. It will allow you to get good bullets before you drain the pot and need to refill with cold lead.

Boolit Master

Buy it and I'll swap ya $55 dollars worth of stuff to get started, yes it's a deal if the pot works.

I think you got a good deal if the pot doesn't work; and a great deal if it does. IMHO, start with the Lee tumble lube (TL) molds. If you mess them up; you're not out a lot. Knowing they are aluminum, you will/should treat them gently (a good practice whatever the mold). It you need a sizer (many of my TL molds shoot well as cast), the Lee push thru are a good place to start. If the pot is bad, and cannot be fixed economically, then take a look at the Lee 20-4 pot.

This will let you know if casting is for you without spending a lot of money. If you find you do enjoy it; look out (it like a boat)!

Boolit Master
    If getting Lee I would suggest stepping up to the 6 cavity, just for the better quality.
    I have not had good luck with the 2 cavity, but the 6 works great.
    Seems to be the experience of many, but not all.
    Also do not limit yourself to the tumble lube design, regular lube molds work with tumble lube also.
    Research the design before purchase, some seem to work, others are problem children.

Boolit Grand Master

The new Lee 2 cavity moulds are just as good as the 6 cavities now. I am quite impressed with them. Try out a design with a double and if you like it, then you can "upgrade".
    I ladle cast with a Lyman ladle that has the side spout, it's called pressure casting, and prefer the 2 holers for this application.
    Don't be afraid to try Lee doubles, they are much improved.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    May just be me.
    I have one of the newer style 2 cav and it still casts out of round.
    Just loaded up some test rounds, will try them out later today.
    Lee 356-120-TC.
    Out of round at the parting line, .355-356 on one side, .358-359 on the other.

I have only cast with it a couple of times and have not tried adjusting it at all yet.
    If it was centered it should throw .357 round, and that would be perfect.

But it does seem much better made than the older style 2 cav I have.
    Even out of round it cast like a dream, boolits just flew out of it, at least compared to the older style.

I bought the 2 cavity just to try out a design and then figured I would move up to the 6 cavity if I wanted too.

Matt