MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 300AAC Subsonic Mold Noe 311-198 SP?

300AAC Subsonic Mold Noe 311-198 SP?

I have an AR-15 in 300AAC and shoot the Lee 312-155-2R supersonic. I now have a use for suppressed subsonic in 300AAC and am looking for a good cast boolit design. I'll be shooting at varmints in the 100 yard range. They only need holes in them, I don't care if they drop immediately. I'm trying to protect my ducks from mink, racoon skunk and possum. Potentially there is a fox in the area too. Does anyone have experience cycling the NOE 311-198 SP through an AR? I might be putting a thermal scope on the AR and want to keep my nightime shooting signature to a minimum, hence the desire to suppress.

Boolit Master

They might work, generally you need to stick with 200gr+ boolits to successfully cycle with subs. You might get away with it better if you have a pistol length gas system.

I'm carbine length. Planned powder is A1680. Primer is CCI mil-spec #41. I also like the looks of the 311-202-RN or 312299 (202gr). I don't want to get out to 230gr and heavier if I don't have to.

Banned

I don't shoot subs but the 311041 shoots very nice in my 300 BO AR.

May want to look for a plain base version of it.

NOE has one I think.

Boolit Master

The Lee 309-230 is good for cycling, but many report accuracy issues. I can get the lee C312-185-1R to cycle with my 12.5" pistol gas upper. It drops at 192 with 50/50 and tumble lubed sans gas check at 196gr. The round nose hits a little harder than the long skinny one.

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    The Lee 309-230 is good for cycling, but many report accuracy issues. I can get the lee C312-185-1R to cycle with my 12.5" pistol gas upper. It drops at 192 with 50/50 and tumble lubed sans gas check at 196gr. The round nose hits a little harder than the long skinny one.
    Not considering the Lee 230 for exactly that reason. The 312-155-2r is fantastic supersonic. Now im trying to work up a great subsonic. Are you shooting the 185 subsonic?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Not considering the Lee 230 for exactly that reason. The 312-155-2r is fantastic supersonic. Now im trying to work up a great subsonic. Are you shooting the 185 subsonic?
    Yes if I remember right 11gr 1680 seems to be the ticket for me at 1000fps

Boolit Master
    I have two of those molds, one PB and one GC. I water quench the PB ones and shoot them subsonic suppressed through my pistol length AR. Somewhere between 7-8 grains of a medium speed pistol powder gives me just below Mach 1. This particular bullet is the most accurate one in my 10" gun that I have found so far. I'm shooting 7.5 grains of Alcan AL-8, but when the jug runs out there won't be any more so I'm trying to find an equivalent load with either Longshot or 800-X.

The hard pointy bullet feeds perfectly in my AR.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I have two of those molds, one PB and one GC. I water quench the PB ones and shoot them subsonic suppressed through my pistol length AR. Somewhere between 7-8 grains of a medium speed pistol powder gives me just below Mach 1. This particular bullet is the most accurate one in my 10" gun that I have found so far. I'm shooting 7.5 grains of Alcan AL-8, but when the jug runs out there won't be any more so I'm trying to find an equivalent load with either Longshot or 800-X.

The hard pointy bullet feeds perfectly in my AR.
    Pointy? You're talking about the Lee C312-185-1R?

Boolit Master

I've got the 311299 to cycle in a pistol length AR, but I did have a lighter buffer spring in it. I might have had it going supersonic though. I don't have a can yet and was just plinking with it.

Your best bet would be to see if you can get somebody to send you some to try before you commit to a mold.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Mold
    I have an AR-15 in 300AAC and shoot the Lee 312-155-2R supersonic. I now have a use for suppressed subsonic in 300AAC and am looking for a good cast boolit design. I'll be shooting at varmints in the 100 yard range. They only need holes in them, I don't care if they drop immediately. I'm trying to protect my ducks from mink, racoon skunk and possum. Potentially there is a fox in the area too. Does anyone have experience cycling the NOE 311-198 SP through an AR? I might be putting a thermal scope on the AR and want to keep my nightime shooting signature to a minimum, hence the desire to suppress.

Ive just obtained the same lee mould
    would you happen to have any good data fo this that you would be willing to share
    cheers

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone have data for the lee 185gn round nose?
    powders I have are ap70n, ap50n, win231, h4895, ar2308

Boolit Master

I had that mold, but the blocks were mis-matched, and cast a boolit that wouldn't roll, fetching up against the ledge caused by the mismatch. Tried re-setting the pins, no joy, so I sold it...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Pointy? You're talking about the Lee C312-185-1R?
    10 months later a reply No, I was talking about the NOE 311365.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.