Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: concealed carry gun.

After buying several pistols for my wife, I decided to let her pick her own since she couldn't seem to get along with what I chose for her. She picked out a Sig P938 Equinox. She can rack it easily, small, light weight and shoots good. The trigger is a little gritty but not too bad. I have a KahrPM9 and have seriously considered trading it for one like hers, I like it that much better.

Boolit Master
    The Ruger's slide release is much easier to operate with a loaded mag in the gun--much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    Sig makes two of the finest imo & experience. I've tried many micro guns. The ones that stuck are the sig p238 & sig p938. Absolutely fantastic little carry guns.
    Two lil' pistols that I'd LOVE to own! Too pricey for my wallet though. Probably in the very tippy-top tier quality-wise though.

I wouldn't rule out a surplus Makarov. No need to worry about price, reliability or cosmetics. It has been a long time successful piece for European & Com-bloc military & police agents, men & women for years, and you get the safety benefits of a single/double action.
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker at Lexington

"""WTB""" Arisaka 38 Dust cover #653.

Boolit Master

A slide lock holds the slide back. My training in LE was never ever use the slide release, pull the slid back and let go of it weather gun was being loaded before lck back or after. That makes it simpler to respond with what ever happens.

She liked the trigger and how it shoots for her forget about the slide lock.

Boolit Grand Master

For deep cover I love the Ruger LCP in one pocket and an extra mag in another. Big improvement over a fine gun, the Kel-Tec P3AT. When I can hide a bigger gun its the Commander sized Ruger SR1911 in my fancy EP Saddlery holster & belt or a Colt Defender in a rough duty rig. When I'm feeling nostalgic I'll dig out my old duty gun, a custom Colt 1911 70 Series Gov't model. Concealment is more about leather and clothing choices than it is the gun. Under a good cotton shirt with a good holster I can hide anything I'm willing to carry.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Find room for a Glock 19. Even the Seals are moving to them.

Not knockin how you do things, but I never use the slide "release" to lower the slide. I always thought of it as a slide "lock" rather than a release. I also like to get a nice firm grip on the slide, bring it all the way back and really let it slam home when practicing reloads. Might not be necessary but it makes me feel better. You cant really go wrong with any of the guns your looking at so play around and find what YOU like best and feel comfortable with. I recently sold an airweight for a Ruger LCR and would recommend looking into that for a snubby, it seems easier on the hand than my 642 and 442 did. Sights seem a little easier to pick up too. I'm starting to like a little more capacity and love the smith and wesson shield (no safety). Seems like the perfect size in that category, plus I'm kind of an m&p fanboy.. just my opinion FWIW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    Find room for a Glock 19. Even the Seals are moving to them.
    But with the way the military has been going downhill over the last few years in the name of "diversity", that's not exactly a resounding recommendation these days.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/milit...omen/72800400/

Boolit Buddy
    Did you try several XDs triggers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trapdoor View Post
    I wouldn't rule out a surplus Makarov. No need to worry about price, reliability or cosmetics. It has been a long time successful piece for European & Com-bloc military & police agents, men & women for years, and you get the safety benefits of a single/double action.
    Here, here finally someone with a good option.

Maks are inexpensive, any of the Russian E German or Bulgarian guns are great. Never buy a Chinese one! I've had a Russian one for 25 years. they are hard to rack the slide on and do need internal work to be smooth. Also a thorough deburring is in order so you don't cut yourself.

There is no word in the Russian Dialect for "Deburring!"

With that in mind,,, the CZ 82 comes to mind, and it is what a Makarov would have been had it been designed 30 years later. These pistols are usually Ex Czech Police Pistols and as such never got shot that much. I have two and they are superb guns that run smoothly and are very easy to hit with. They run either DA or SA cocked and locked. If you get Ex Police it may need a new paint job. here's mine.

But the gun that has caught my eye now is the North American Arms Pug. Laser Lyte came out with a Laser Grip for this gun and I got to play with one at the SHOT Show last year and again this year. This is a situation where,,, Wherever the laser dot is when the gun goes off is where the bullet goes. It is so controllable it is not even funny!!!! I was able to keep the laser within 1"of a spot on the wall 20 yards away EASILY!

The gun is more easily carried than pretty much any other gun out there and is in .22 Magnum. It weighs 6 oz and is less than 5" long. In a Sticky Holster it is invisible in your front pants pocket.

Prior to the Laser this gun was strictly good for "in your face" encounters. With the Laser and a little practice it is easily a 20 yard gun. I would be more likely to have this gun with me than any other. You know what they say about gunfights,,, you actually need a gun to participate.

I want one badly, but it's not on the CA Approved List so I can't have one,,, unless I get it from a PP in CA. Maybe a different address is in order.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-26-2016 at 12:17 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Winter carry a G19, summer carry a G43.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    ... Under a good cotton shirt with a good holster I can hide anything I'm willing to carry.
    Words of wisdom that many need to heed.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

How about Sturm Ruger SP101 in .38 Special or .357 Magnum?

Easily concealable
    Steel for recoil absorption
    SA or DA action
    Excellent SD ammo options
    Action easily smoothed up if need be

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acffe20.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	159186
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
    How about Sturm Ruger SP101 in .38 Special or .357 Magnum?

Easily concealable
    Steel for recoil absorption
    SA or DA action
    Excellent SD ammo options
    Action easily smoothed up if need be

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acffe20.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	159186
    see my other posts I have one and it locks up. I have thought about sending it back to ruger but have never gotten around to it.

Banned

"I want one badly, but it's not on the CA Approved List so I can't have one..."

​Yes you can. It is not on the list because it is a single action and exempt from the list. I had an NAA convertible .22LR/.22 Mag and loved it. Sold it, as I came to the conclusion that it was not enough gun. I carried mine in an eyeglass case and I did have it once when I needed it and was way happy to have it at the time. No shots fired, but it was a great comfort. My .357 LCR or LC9s Pro provide greater comfort.
    Last edited by jmort; 01-26-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post

​Yes you can. It is not on the list because it is a single action and exempt from the list. I had an NAA convertible .22LR/.22 Mag and loved it. Sold it, as I came to the conclusion that it was not enough gun. I carried mine in an eyeglass case and I did have it once when I needed it and was way happy to have it at the time. No shots fired, but it was a great comfort. My .357 LCR or LC9s Pro provide greater comfort.
    Can't really get much more deep concealment than the little 5-shot NAA derringers. Great for when you have to go places that want to infringe upon your 2nd Amendment rights like NYC. The Beretta 21 would be a good choice too if it was in .22 mag. Or even better if they developed a centerfire .25 in a magnum level. I doubt that there is enough of a demand for it though.

Boolit Buddy
    The Sig 938 has 9mm power, shoots great, fits in a pocket (DiSantos makes a great pocket holster), has a great trigger (some are better than others, try a bunch before you buy), has a safety and is reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post

Sorry but the gun isn't on the list, two others are, but the Pug isn't. SA's are no longer exempt.

They won't even answer the phone now.

They suck and have gotten to the point where you can't even communicate with them.

Take Notice: This is what happens when you elect Democrats!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Sorry but the gun isn't on the list, two others are, but the Pug isn't. SA's are no longer exempt.

They won't even answer the phone now.

They suck and have gotten to the point where you can't even communicate with them.

Take Notice: This is what happens when you elect Democrats!
    Well, I guess you could just QUIT ELECTING THEM, right?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast