RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: concealed carry gun.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I like the KelTec's PF9s and the SCCY CPX2 for carry. there are 3 Keltecs and 4 CPX2 in my family. I have one of each.

Yes I know, their names wont impress your buddies. they just simply work

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrag4 View Post
    I don't really care which pistol you buy, but why do you care so much about the slide release? In my view, it's not there so that you can drop the slide, but rather it's there so you can more easily tell that the gun is empty, plus having the slide locked back makes inserting the next full mag much easier. It's been said a thousand times by as many others, in a real self-defense situation, you might lack the fine motor skills to hit that slide release, no matter how light it is, so just get used to pulling back on the slide to release it. If that's your only complaint about the gun, I would give it a second look.

*Disclaimer: I don't own the LC9S or any other single-stack 9s.
    I have been running this through my brain as well, I typically sling shot the slide any ways, it was just some thing I noticed and maybe initially though might be a problem. Since the wife wants a gun I am trying to thing of her needs/ability to manipulate the controls too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    I stick my Ruger LCP 380 in one front pants pocket, and my 6+ Iphone in the other, and only a few people can tell which is which.
    Haven't looked at them pocket ruger yet. I'd Def want to shoot.one before buying I have big hands and the 2 finger grip does not in any way feel natural to me. Pocket Cary does appeal to me except I would have to find a new home for my wallet can't stand the back pocket.

I would give a +1 on the Smith J frames. I carried a 2" Mod. 60 in .38 spl. for MANY years. I am 6'2" and have moderately large hands and was only able to get 2 fingers on the grip comfortably. That being said I left the original round butt wood grips on the gun and was able to qualify better with the little Mod. 60 than I was with the full size 4" model 10 with, Pachmyer grips, that I was issued. The mod 60 is also small enough to fit a woman's hand. The Stainless Steel version I had also handle +p ammo without a problem and you do not have to worry about clearing jams, just pull the trigger a second time. The down side is it is only a 5 shot. But the again, unless you plan on taking on one of the local gangs you shouldn't need more then 2 shots.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Springfield EMP's? They come in 9mm & 40S&W. I own the 40, it's been flawless & is a fun one to shoot as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PI9209LP_1200x7821.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	158645
    Bob

Banned
    ABOVE ALL ELSE - DO NOT BASE YOUR DECISION ON WHAT THE GUN STORE WANTS TO SELL TO YOU!

The biggest mistake I see people make is going to a gun shop and getting the sales pitch based on what the gun shop needs to get rid of or has the highest profit margin.

Decide what you want First and then seek it out.

Define your criteria: size, weight, action type, caliber, capacity, price, etc. Then make a list of possible guns that fit your criteria. After you decide what you want, then (and only then) go look at actual guns.

And just my $0.02 worth, I'm a big fan of DAO 38 Special snubnose revolvers for SD.

Good stuff here. Lots of great CC options. Petrol has a good line on priorities. Glad to see you are shopping around. Don't let trigger pull be the only deciding factor or limit your purchase on a particular manufacture. U-tube has lots of 'test' info. In our quest for the perfect CC, most of us have more than one pistol/revolver. For me reliability, then concealability followed by firepower works for me. +1 on the Walther PPS (9mm), with paddle mag release, striker fire. I understand Walther is releasing a M2 version that will have a button mag release. Lots to choose from: Sig, Walther, Glock, S&W, to name a few. Here's old (PPK/S-380),and new design (PPS) . I carry both.Attachment 158648
    Last edited by Powder Burn; 01-21-2016 at 10:07 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The decision really depends on what you are looking for:

Revolver or Pistol ?
    SA or SA/DA or DAO ?
    Concerned about safely carrying a round in the chamber ?
    Maximum barrel length ?
    Maximum weight ?
    Maximum rounds ?
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb in Pa View Post
    How about the SIG P290.....9 rounds of 9mm, 20 oz unloadedAttachment 158640
    My first choice to carry when I can wear a jacket. Of course, I like shooting revolvers which this pistols DAO trigger is kinda like a revolver. Love it that I can safely carry a round in the chamber.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Buddy
    if you want a single stack auto my vote would be for the smith& wesson shield ,if you don't mind the little extra weight and thickness then it would be the m&p compact

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    ABOVE ALL ELSE - DO NOT BASE YOUR DECISION ON WHAT THE GUN STORE WANTS TO SELL TO YOU!

The biggest mistake I see people make is going to a gun shop and getting the sales pitch based on what the gun shop needs to get rid of or has the highest profit margin.

Decide what you want First and then seek it out.

Define your criteria: size, weight, action type, caliber, capacity, price, etc. Then make a list of possible guns that fit your criteria. After you decide what you want, then (and only then) go look at actual guns.

And just my $0.02 worth, I'm a big fan of DAO 38 Special snubnose revolvers for SD.
    I never have any use for the guy behind the counter other than to open the case and hand me stuff. Most of the time they can't answer a question or know any of the guns by name you have to point the gun out to them and use small words.
    Last edited by Mica_Hiebert; 01-22-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Banned
    They're not all idiots but they all want to make money.

Boolit Grand Master

As far as revolvers are concerned if your revolver locks up because of protrouding primers change how you seat your primers, not your gun!

Secondly, for the J frames the Tyler T grip really helps me hold on to the thing, but mine is on a Colt Agent. Same idea.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

One of the things that I've noticed with many women is that they have trouble racking the slide on a semi-auto. If you are helping a woman choose a firearm, either make sure that she can easily rack the slide or just be frank with her and tell her that if the gun jams or she runs out of ammo, she's out of luck and better start running. Probably the only semi-auto that my wife can pull back the slide on is a *Ruger Mk-II*. So, I give her a model 92 with 17+1 rounds and DA/SA and tell her to make those 18 rounds count. She just keeps it on her side of the bed and doesn't carry it though. If she's carrying something, it will more than likely be a small revolver. Not that it would make much difference since like many clueless women, she insists on carrying it in her purse.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    As far as revolvers are concerned if your revolver locks up because of protrouding primers change how you seat your primers, not your gun!

Secondly, for the J frames the Tyler T grip really helps me hold on to the thing, but mine is on a Colt Agent. Same idea.
    Extruding not protruding... essentially the primer material it's self forcing into the firing pin hole usually a sign of over pressure loads but it has done it with factory ammo once and none of my loads should be over spec. Could be a head space issue. I haven't figured out what's causing it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    One of the things that I've noticed with many women is that they have trouble racking the slide on a semi-auto. If you are helping a woman choose a firearm, either make sure that she can easily rack the slide or just be frank with her and tell her that if the gun jams or she runs out of ammo, she's out of luck and better start running. Probably the only semi-auto that my wife can pull back the slide on is a *Ruger Mk-II*. So, I give her a model 92 with 17+1 rounds and DA/SA and tell her to make those 18 rounds count. She just keeps it on her side of the bed and doesn't carry it though. If she's carrying something, it will more than likely be a small revolver. Not that it would make much difference since like many clueless women, she insists on carrying it in her purse.
    I'm probably going to have to go rent some guns and see what she likes and can handle, I saw a woman shoot the ceiling of the range one day trying to shoot a Sao smith didn't have the strength to hold the gun steady while pulling the trigger. I am with you on the purse carry. That's the first thing a muggers gunna try and snatched off her.

Boolit Buddy

I wouldn't rule out the XD, the Shield, or the Glock because of the trigger pull on a new pistol. Having used all three, as well as the Kel-Tec, I found that after a couple of hundred rounds, the triggers became noticeably smoother. My current carry pistol is the Shield 9mm, but I wouldn't be opposed to carrying any of the others. Carry whatever you are comfortable with. Most important is not which you choose, but that you TRAIN with it, not just shoot it occasionally. Train until drawing, shooting, reloading and clearing malfunctions is a matter of muscle memory, then keep training.
    Old and in the way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldFogey View Post
    I wouldn't rule out the XD, the Shield, or the Glock because of the trigger pull on a new pistol. Having used all three, as well as the Kel-Tec, I found that after a couple of hundred rounds, the triggers became noticeably smoother. My current carry pistol is the Shield 9mm, but I wouldn't be opposed to carrying any of the others. Carry whatever you are comfortable with. Most important is not which you choose, but that you TRAIN with it, not just shoot it occasionally. Train until drawing, shooting, reloading and clearing malfunctions is a matter of muscle memory, then keep training.
    For most of the women I know, I would not trust them with a gun that did not have either a safety or a heavy first shot double action trigger pull. No way would I trust them with something like a Glock. They'll end up carrying it without a proper Kydex holster protecting the trigger and end up shooting a hole in their purse. Then again, some of the "urban youth" punks end up trying to put a Glock in their droopy drawers and carry "Mexican style" and end up putting a hole in their "junk". Just remember, when she manages to shoot a hole in her purse, by her logic, it will somehow be YOUR fault.

Boolit Buddy

NavyVet, I agree........... For most women I know, as well as a good number of men I know. Just one of the many reasons I emphasize training over selection. Too many buy a carry gun, shoot it a few times and think they are "ready."
    Old and in the way.

Banned
    Get your wife an airweight S&W 38/357. KISS! I've been a instructor since the 60s & for women, not having to screw with a pistol, racking the slide, releasing the slide etc. Revolver, pick it up & pull the trigger & it works. You, get whatever you like best.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Get your wife an airweight S&W 38/357. KISS! I've been a instructor since the 60s & for women, not having to screw with a pistol, racking the slide, releasing the slide etc. Revolver, pick it up & pull the trigger & it works. You, get whatever you like best.
    And if 6 shots are not enough, there's a 7-shot and 8-shot .357 made by a couple of companies (S&W and Taurus, IIRC).