WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: concealed carry gun.

Boolit Master

concealed carry gun.

Been in the market for a new concealed carry gun and my wife wants to get one too. Went out kicking tires today and it was pretty disappointing from what I had to look at. I'm a ruger and Springfield guy so I looked at the springfield xds and holey 10 lb+ gritty trigger! Yuck! Picked up the ruger lc9s and it had the most beautiful factory trigger I have ever felt honestly but the slide lock took almost a dead blow hammer to release which is not going to work for my wife, so I looked at the gwak 43 gag and it actually felt nice in my hand unlike most gwaks but they must have been competing with Springfield to see if they could design a creepier excessively heavy trigger! I used to own a kahr arms cw40 but I got rid of it because a fatal design flaw in the slide lock spring, I haven't looked at s s&w shield yet but I have not had good luck with s&w autos. Kinda bummed out maybe check out some wheel guns next time.

Check out the Shield 9mm. I am very impressed with the four I bought. Darn wife and kids kept taking them. I did wait until they had all taken mine to put the Apex Tactical trigger in the one I carry now. That was well worth the effort.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    How are the factory triggers? I'm one of those factory ammo, factory, gun types that are not going to give our screwed up judicial system any extra means to prosecute me in the event I have to protect my self or my family... tin foil hats and such but guilty until proven innocent or until they extort you for every thing you are worth is the norm any more! Criminals are victims and victims are criminals! Wow that escalated quickly...

Boolit Buddy
    I hate to see good stuff bad-mouthed.

I think that Kahr 'design flaw' is basically bogus. I personally know of a couple of edc pm9's that have functioned flawlessly even during the 200 round 'break-in' period. Did you ever reproduce the 'problem' and if so, did you ever contact Kahr about it?

Boolit Master

I got a Kahr CW9 for cheap because "it was always jamming." It turned out the pathetic little spring that keeps the slide stop depressed had broken, probably during reassembly. Good news is once I changed out the spring it worked like a champ, gobbling up factory and reloads like nobody's business, with a nice smooth trigger pull. Bad news is it hits 6" high at 25 yards with 115 JHPs and I can't keep all its shots on a paper plate at that distance. The CW9 is a good CCW for somebody, but not for me.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 01-19-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Look at a Walther PPS next time. Everyone seems to overlook them. I've been carrying one since they came out. I couldn't be happier w/ it.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I have been pondering a Colt Defender although carrying a full size 1911 doesn't bother me.

Banned
    I am very happy with my Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog. So happy that I am buying a Mag Pug in .357 magnum.

If I were going to buy a semiauto I would get the Shield in 9mm. Very nice pistol.

Boolit Master

Was that XDs new or used? I have two XD pistols and I have no complaints about the trigger. Check a different one or another shop. It just doesn't sound right. Keep in mind also you are not buying a bullseye match pistol.

Boolit Master

the trigger on the XDs will smooth out after shooting it if you want wow right out of the box have a look at the Sig P938
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcanadice View Post
    I hate to see good stuff bad-mouthed.

I think that Kahr 'design flaw' is basically bogus. I personally know of a couple of edc pm9's that have functioned flawlessly even during the 200 round 'break-in' period. Did you ever reproduce the 'problem' and if so, did you ever contact Kahr about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    I got a Kahr CW9 for cheap because "it was always jamming." It turned out the pathetic little spring that keeps the slide stop depressed had broken, probably during reassembly. Good news is once I changed out the spring it worked like a champ, gobbling up factory and reloads like nobody's business, with a nice smooth trigger pull. Bad news is it hits 6" high at 25 yards with 115 JHPs and I can't keep all its shots on a paper plate at that distance. The CW9 is a good CCW for somebody, but not for me.
    The flaw is not bogus the slide lock spring broke on mine and I had to replace it but I found if you did not get the slide lock positioned correctly under the spring when assembling it that it had the same result with slide lock every round fired. Every time I cleaned the gun I had to take it out and test fire it to make sure it had been assembled correctly. It happened to me 3x enough times I did not trust my life to it so it went down the road, I loved how it concealed and did not mind the trigger pull although it had a huge amount of travel. I replaced it with a sp101 that locks up some times due to primer extrusion so I am once again shopping. I'm not bad mouthing good guns I am just stating my disappointment with companies I would expect to turn out a quality product! My springfield xdm40 I consider to be the best polymer pistol on the market in its price range, I have a gp100, super redhawk, blackhawk, sp101, 22/45 and used to have a single 6 and have been thrilled with all of them doesn't seem that making something smaller you shouldn't have to sacrifice functionality.

Sig makes two of the finest imo & experience. I've tried many micro guns. The ones that stuck are the sig p238 & sig p938. Absolutely fantastic little carry guns.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    Check into the XDm line of Springfields, nicer triggers, nicer guns.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    I have the XDM40 with a super tuck you can tell I have a gun under my shirt from a mile away! cold weather gun only. looking for something small hoping to get a matched pair for me and the old lady.

Have you considered a J frame Smith? My wife and I carry similar .38 +P revolvers, 360 and 438 2" barrels loaded with the old "hi vel" 110 gr load @about 1200 fps, with laser grips and pocket holsters. I know it's not as impressive as a 1911 but you hardly know you have it.

Boolit Master
    How about the SIG P290.....9 rounds of 9mm, 20 oz unloadedAttachment 158640
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master
    not many lgs carry sig here so havent had a chance to fondle one. havent looked at j frame yet, I have thought about trying the ruger lcrx im kinda chasing my tail, had problems with semi auto so i went to a wheel gun, had problems with my wheel gun so started looking at semi autos again...

Boolit Buddy
    I don't really care which pistol you buy, but why do you care so much about the slide release? In my view, it's not there so that you can drop the slide, but rather it's there so you can more easily tell that the gun is empty, plus having the slide locked back makes inserting the next full mag much easier. It's been said a thousand times by as many others, in a real self-defense situation, you might lack the fine motor skills to hit that slide release, no matter how light it is, so just get used to pulling back on the slide to release it. If that's your only complaint about the gun, I would give it a second look.

*Disclaimer: I don't own the LC9S or any other single-stack 9s.

Boolit Master
    I stick my Ruger LCP 380 in one front pants pocket, and my 6+ Iphone in the other, and only a few people can tell which is which.

Boolit Master

Lately, I've been carrying a G29 with a G20 mag and grip extension. 15+1 rounds of 747 ft-lbs supposedly. Need to get my chrony back where I can measure them though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast