Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LIthgow #1 MK III

Boolit Buddy
    You have to change your approach - start off with paper that is suitable, then size the bullets to comne up to the right dimension when patched - otherwise it might be hard to find the right paper thickness...
    Also, try and go for a bullet sized to land diameter (.303 or +0.001), and partch up to groove diameter - or in you case, maybe better throat diameter - whatever fits well in yuor necksized cases. But I usually start with paper selection, then adapt the bullet sizing to suit.

Boolit Master
    So dad burned many problems that I finally wrapped the boolits with teflon thread tape and sized to groove diameter. Works great1 Give it a try. Neil

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    Hokay, I like the forumla.
    Now, doing it backwards, never having made a paper patch before,
    I have a .309 sizing die.
    What size paper, that is available, could I use with this die?
    With the 16lb paper, I get .319. A little large it seems to size down to .313, or .314.
    I would think, realizing I have never made a paper patch before, that not a lot of pressure is used on sizing the patch after rolling.
    I under stand, there is shrinkage after drying. I would have to measure any patch before applying at the range.
    Applying at the range? We must be talking about two different things here. The patching I do is at the reloading bench. The patches are applied wet and let dry for 24 hours. Not something you could do at the range.

Boolit Master

I do not think it is feasable to wrap at the range.
    What I meant is, to make small batches and test them, starting with the smaller diameter and slowly working up.
    I have trickle reloaded at the range, but that was with swaged bullets. I suspect paper patching will be easier than I visualize once I get through the learning curve.
    My bore measures dead on at .313, my die at .313 sized bullets, they drop right out of the neck. It looks like I will be targeting sizing to .314.
    I have a sizing die at .309, and one at .313. What size paper would you suggest if sized to .309 and then left unsized to hit .314?

Boolit Buddy
    No paper will be that thin... You need to size to .303, or close:
    4 thicknesses of paper, 0.005 total thickness: 0.005/4= 0.00125, that would be extremely thin paper! You can find 0.002, but that'is almost double... Of course, you can laways patch the .309 bullet, and then size the patched bullet to .314 (just polish out your sizer...)

Paper for patching need to be tough to survive feeding from the mag and the trip down the barrel. I tried thin paper in a micro-groove and had no luck at all. Sized a little smaller and used heaver paper and everything was fine. Seems like green bar computer is tougher than most, guess because it has to feed through the printer with those tractor strips on the side. Take a Lee .285 push through die and lap it to .304/.3045 and you will have much better luck. If you dont want to lap it yourself Lee will custom make any size for $25.00 plus shipping.

Boolit Master

pdawg,
    I never thought of having Lee make a die.
    I appreciate it.
    .304, two turns of 'puter paper to .314.
    Gonna work on that.

Its easy to make then yourself. If you have a electric drill, 6" or so 1/4" rod and a little emery paper. Split the rod with a hacksaw, wrap the emery through the slot and around the rod and start lapping. I used 180 grit to start, switch to 320 when I get close and finish polish with crocus cloth.

Boolit Master

Ok, after much ado, awaiting a reply from Lee on making me a die in .304.
    I have cast considerable bullets in the 155gn, gas check bullet. It measures at .313 when cast.
    I can, push on the gas checks. I only have a sizer in .311. The bullets could be either pan lubed, or lubed by hand.
    My dies only open the case to .312. The gas check has a flair that allows for the gas check to enter the case mouth.
    I loaded 20 at the sized .311, with gas checks. I used 38.5gns of 4895, neck sized only.
    I test fire next week if my schedule allows. I have surplus 4895 and it is supposed to be a little slower. More like 4064.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12