RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Mould Produces This Bullet?

What Mould Produces This Bullet?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cast Lead SWC Profiles.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	158554

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139476.../shares/84bX1p

200gr SWC's

1. H&G Clone
    2. Lee 452-200-SWC
    (left to right)

I have the first 2 moulds. The third I obtained a handful of bullets from a guy cleaning out his shed for a move.

They weigh in at 200gr, but I am beginning to wonder if they are just heavy 185's? I really like this bullet, it shoots very well in a few of my 45's. I'd like to purchase a mould so that I can cast some more.

Thanks
    __

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Send a bullet to Tom at Accurate Molds and you'll have it in a couple weeks in the weight and diameter you want.

could be a heavy NEI .451-192-PB
    http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog.html page 10

I think SAECO made one like that as well - can you get some measurements of it?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by shooter93 View Post
    Send a bullet to Tom at Accurate Molds and you'll have it in a couple weeks in the weight and diameter you want.
    Thanks, I may go that route. Still curious what mold it may have come from though...

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    could be a heavy NEI .451-192-PB
    http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog.html page 10

I think SAECO made one like that as well - can you get some measurements of it?
    I saw that NEI when I did my initial searching to find the design. I think the metplat on the NEI is still a tiny bit too big.

I will take measurements tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help.
    __

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by noisewaterphd View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cast Lead SWC Profiles.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	158554

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139476.../shares/84bX1p

200gr SWC's

1. H&G Clone
    2. Lee 452-200-SWC
    (left to right)

I have the first 2 moulds. The third I obtained a handful of bullets from a guy cleaning out his shed for a move.

They weigh in at 200gr, but I am beginning to wonder if they are just heavy 185's? I really like this bullet, it shoots very well in a few of my 45's. I'd like to purchase a mould so that I can cast some more.

Thanks
    I don't understand your problem? You have a mold throwing 200gr bullet's you like but you think it might be a 185gr mold? Why not just keep casting with it?

Boolit Buddy

The third I obtained a handful of bullets from a guy cleaning out his shed for a move.

Don
    If you look all three boolits are different he has a mold for the two left boolits but the one on the right he only has some of the boolits no mold but likes the boolits and is trying to see if anyone knows what mold it is
    Tony

Bullet would be easier to identify if you had a picture of the just the bullet. http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm. here is a link for a chart of Lyman/Ideal Molds. Could it be a 452630?

OK, here is a pic of just the bullet, and some measurements.

Unknown SWC by NoisewaterPHD, on Flickr

Measurements (approximate, quickly taken with calipers):

Metplat: .181
    Nose Base (just above shoulder): .352
    Shoulder/Base: .452

So as you can see, it is a much skinnier nose with a much wider shoulder than the traditional SWC profile.I will probably have a mold made, but I'd still love to know what the original mold was. I figure somebody on here has run into it at some time or another!
    __

With that pronounced shoulder, does it cut a clean hole in an unsupported paper target? Like a paper target freely hanging from clothes pins from the top only? (Like they hang targets from at some indoor pistol ranges.) If the answers are all yes, I might like to try and find one myself.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Looks similar to a Saeco #62.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor N TN View Post
    With that pronounced shoulder, does it cut a clean hole in an unsupported paper target? Like a paper target freely hanging from clothes pins from the top only? (Like they hang targets from at some indoor pistol ranges.) If the answers are all yes, I might like to try and find one myself.
    Yes, it does indeed make nice clean holes in unsupported paper.

I went to NOE today to pick up a PB H&G clone and talked to them about a custom mold if I can't track down the original.

If I find the original, or get NOE to make one I'll let you know.
    __

Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    Looks similar to a Saeco #62.
    Agreed, that looks close. But do you think a 170gr mold could drop at 200gr? That's a pretty major discrepancy. I was leary of even the 185gr theory.
    __

Boolit Buddy

Alright I am going to point to the elephant in the room. Any chance of talking to the guy you got them from and finding out were he got them from? Maybe its his mold? Could it be a commercially produced boolit that a supplier had a mold made? Is it a very hard alloy could be an indication of a commercial boolit?
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    might be a custom.

And it might be the only way that you can reproduce it, is to have one of the custom mold makers reproduce it.

It's an interesting paper puncher....

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Quote Originally Posted by Menner View Post
    Alright I am going to point to the elephant in the room. Any chance of talking to the guy you got them from and finding out were he got them from? Maybe its his mold? Could it be a commercially produced boolit that a supplier had a mold made? Is it a very hard alloy could be an indication of a commercial boolit?
    Tony
    Can't remember his name to save my life.

And, 10 to 15 years ago when he gave them to me, he was about 150 years old. Moved south to stay warm. As harsh as it may sound, I highly doubt he is still with us.

The bullet measures 18bhn with the Saeco. The bullets look like they were cast from a very nice mold.
    __

Boolit Grand Master

It looks like a boolit from an automatic casting machine mould. Maybe Ballisti-cast.
    I went to Ballisti cast site and there are three or four moulds it could be .
    937 , 668 , 668H , 668BBA , and 668BBB and maybe another one I over looked.
    I'm thinking it's one of these and the original owner bought a box of comerically cast .
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by noisewaterphd View Post
    Yes, it does indeed make nice clean holes in unsupported paper.

I went to NOE today to pick up a PB H&G clone and talked to them about a custom mold if I can't track down the original.

If I find the original, or get NOE to make one I'll let you know.
    I shot NRA Bullseye for several years. The SWC bullets I used at the time... left some things to be desired. If they fed good and reliable, the director had a hard time scoring them. Even with the scoring plugs. Now having the 45 acp revolver, maybe I can load some light loads for a "new" SWC design. Well, new to me anyway.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Mold
    The measurements are the same as my lee 200 swc bevel base mould Lee #: 90348

Boolit Master
    It looks a lot like the discontinued Lee 185. I have that mold in a two cavity that I bought in 1987 but I never weighed it to see if it was really 185 grains. It is a very accurate bullet and it cuts a nice clean hole.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus60 View Post
    The measurements are the same as my lee 200 swc bevel base mould Lee #: 90348
    I don't think so? The mold you speak of is #2 in the picture, which is over .2 at the metplat and .390 or so above the shoulder. Thank you.
    __

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast