Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade dippers

Boolit Master

Lee's book shows the capacity of cartridges in cc's for comparison, cartridge to cartridge.
    Wow, is this a blast from the past.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

A lot of talented guys here. Need to make one for 1/2 oz of shot to load a few 410 shells. Any suggestions ?

Boolit Master

Here are mine. Made from 280 Rem cases and filed to about 1.7 cc capacity. I wish I could say I made them but they were in a box I bought at an estate sale.

Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I have vague memories of a discussion somewhere about the best ratio of width to height for dippers. I want to use cartridge brass, and some calibers are way to long for their width to work easily. Anyone else recall where I might have seen that? Perhaps Richard Lee?
    Bill
    In general, I feel like a dipper is more consistent as it gets taller and skinnier. For really tiny charges, I use small gauge brass tubing instead of cases. I want the aspect ratio to be at least 2 to 1, height to diameter.

The main problem with tall dippers is you need a deeper pot of powder.

I finally used up the last quarter lb of my H110 by using 2 little measuring cups to pour and catch the powder. I would pour the powder into the dipper over the catch cup. Then set down the pouring cup and fill my case. Repeat until the powder runs out, then pour the catch cup back into the pouring cup and continue on.

When I was finished, I had a quarter of a charge leftover for the trash. And 2 primed cases. I cut that pretty close.
    Last edited by gloob; 01-04-2023 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    A lot of talented guys here. Need to make one for 1/2 oz of shot to load a few 410 shells. Any suggestions ?
    Not sure what cartridge to use but I can tell you the weight will vary depending on the shot size & composition.

Boolit Master
    I turned a bushing, to convert a 1-5/8 oz mec charge bar into a 1 oz bar. Of course, I worked in a machine shop, so it made it simple for me.

Sig, I know the weight will vary slightly but if made to hold a 1/2 oz of #6 then the difference for 4,5 or 7 1/2 won’t be that much and in shotshells the volume is the most important.

Boolit Master
    I had not seen this post when I decided to make a dipper, I had seen some really beautiful dippers on this site and thought maybe I didn't want to spend the time or didn't have the soldering tools. So I just put a 9mm case in the drill press vice and drilled through the extractor groove from one side to exit on the other side. Used a 3/32 drill and cleaned up a piece of 3/32 brazing rod and super glued it in the hole.

Boolit Buddy
    I also made an adjustable dipper out of a small siringe. Works very good.

Ended up lucking out and getting a like new set of the yellow Lee dippers for $12 delivered on Fleabay .

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    Epoxy the cases to the cut off handle of old teaspoons. The one on the left was soldered but the epoxy was easier. I needed just a little more capacity on it so I flared the mouth just a little to make it exactly right.

Well done! I see how I'll do mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've made a few. Usually I take a case of the approximately correct volume and wrap a significant wire around the extraction groove and spin the wire twist all the way to the end. Coat the entire wired area, to include the wire "tail" with epoxy and let it dry. Then drill a hole into the end of a "right sized" wooden dowel to receive the wire tail. When the first glue dries, I re-glue the hole and shove the tail in. Voila - a dipper. Volume adjustment follow by belt sanding the mouth of the case as needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12