Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Micrometer CASE help sought!

Moderator Emeritus

Micrometer CASE help sought!

My 96-yr old dad recently passed, and I found two Brown & Sharpe top-grade micrometers, a 0"-1" and a 1"-2" -- brand new, still in wax wrap -- in a cabinet in his garage. It took just a wee bit of Kroil and time to get the tools looking and functioning perfectly. But, here's my challenge: The cases *STINK*! They have the classic antique-store musty smell times three! I gently washed them with a weak Dawn detergent solution, and fan-dried them. Step #2 -- an Internet "solution" which didn't help much either, was to place both cases in the deep freezer for a couple of weeks: As soon as they warmed up, the smell returned.
    What I'm asking, is do you know of anything or any method which will remove this annoying smell without harming the felt, etc., the case is made of, while also not leaving any chemical residue which may harm these tools when placed back in? While the cases are indeed rather wee in size -- when I enter my loading room now, their smell is the first thing one notices.
    Any working solutions will be greatly appreciated! (Thank you in advance!)
    george

Boolit Grand Master

You might try a light vinegar and water mix Spray lightly several times and let soak. Other wise maybe a light spray with something like freebreeze and let dry well.

Banned
    Sorry to hear of his passing. I was going to recommend Dawn but you have already tried it. You may have to re-do the felt but before I did that I would try woolite cleaner and see it that did anything.

Boolit Master
    Two things come to mind. First would be Fabreeze. It supposedly works real well. The second would be to put it in some kind of container with a box of baking soda. That works really well for taking smells out of an old refrigerator and that smell is really hard to get rid of sometimes. We've had to do that on more than one occasion.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Why care what they smell like as long as they are in excellent shape and accurate! You will do more damage to them using any water-based cleaning method that any gain on odor level. Water and fine machinists tools do NOT get along......no matter how well you think you dry them.

I have many valuable antique tools in my collection (1850's and up) and some have that unique old "patina smell". Just part of the game of having good quality old tools.

I have a solid oak machinist's chest from the 1880's with a strong smell and even after 25 years in the Arizona desert dry heat, the smell is still there. No big whoop.

Use them, "enjoy" the aroma, and have fond memories of your father. If the odor bothers you, keep them in the appropriate size ZipLok lidded container when stored. But in NY, also keep a package of desiccant drier in there too! YOU have high humidity!!!!!!! Unlike me.

banger

Moderator Emeritus

I'm with bangerjim on this. Especially if you plan on selling them.
    If you plan on using them,or passing them on to a family member who will use them, them get a new case of some sort...maybe even a homemade wooden one. Then just store the original case separate.
    that's my 2˘
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    activated charcoal works too.

Probably mold or mildew. Bleach will kill it, Or fire.

Boolit Master
    That baking soda idea would work and dont get them wet with anything.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to all! You sympathize with my not wanting any chemical(s) which may hurt these fine micrometers after the fact! The best suggestion to me thus far came from JonB in Glencoe; to wit it makes a lot of sense to put both stinky cases in a Food-Saver bag, evacuate excess air, and seal said bag for long-term storage, hiving a small desiccant pack in the bag to be compulsive about their storage. (Wish I had thought of this brilliant solution) bangerjim is right on re high humidity in this basement room; the room is quite small, and I keep door closed. Since I got the micrometers, each time I enter the room, the olfactory from their cases is the first sensory cue experienced -- not a pleasant one. I even tried leaving a Kroil-dampened rag out in attempts to mask it; and, I've been toying with another with what always has been my favorite smell: Hoppes #9 . My challenge now simply will be to find appropriate cases for them; I had an old machinist instructor ~50 years back whose words (orders?) re storage of calipers and mic's I still ever so clearly remember, that there was/is NO greater tragedy than dropping, or having something drop on, any of the above.

THANK YOU ALL, AGAIN!!!!
    george

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    One trick that I have used in the past might be unavailable to you at this time of the year......Sunlight on a hot dry day. Kills mould and mildew, unfortunately, Northern N.Y. might be a bit short on that particular combination this time of the year.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

There you go. Ultraviolet light. Of coarse that will fade the velvet/felt.

My understanding is you are treating wood cases with felt lining.

Sunlight will work.
    Avoid anything that will leave a residue behind. This give the mold a place to grow. Includes soap and bleach. I know to late. A spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide is a good killer. They are sold at Dollar Stores and other drug stores. Little bottles with pumps. Hydrogen peroxide degrades in the bottle so don't buy more than you need. Best routine would be to mist down with the hydrogen peroxide then set in sun. The hydrogen peroxide will speed up what the sun will do. What you want to do here is stop the decay of the case material. Another 100 years in that cabinet and the cases would of been totally decomposed. The smell you have is from the decomposition taking place.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks again! Posts #11 - #13 kind of allude to a change in heart I've had, prompted by a PM sent from another forum member. I'll hopefully put decomposition in hold, and smell in abatement, by putting the cases in a Plano plastic box with silica kitty litter -- til summer. Yes, in this latitude days are short, and colleagues in sciences note that it is not until after the middle of February before the angle of the sun is such that more is absorbed than reflected! Hence, come summer, I hope to place the cases on my wood-shed roof for a hopeful week of pure sun! Regardless -- for now, the major problem: the smell and my fear of mold and ??? spores jumping from the case to adjacent areas -- will be addressed. Thank you again!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    There you go. Ultraviolet light. Of coarse that will fade the velvet/felt.
    Sorry to disagree, but after ~3 years in the AZ desert sun every day with my oak machinist chest mentioned above, the smell is STILL there. I put the case out to "bake" with the drawers laid out separately. No luck. Months of spring/summer/fall/winter sun and..............nada.

I just replaced all the green felt, and live with the grease/moldy/mildew smell that wafts from the drawers every time I open them!

Too bad they cannot make perfume out of whatever binds that smell to thing!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

geo, sorry to hear of your dad's passing.

Throw some baking soda and bags of activated charcoal in with the kitty litter and every few weeks throw out the old and replace with fresh. Do not use clay kitty litter, use something like Fresh Step Multi-Cat litter. That's a good deodorizing litter. I have 3 cats.
    Gary

Nothing seems to remove that working mans oil smell that the boxes soak up from the dofferant oils around. It just goes with the territory.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

If bothers you that bad. Here's a different approach. Some of my older Starrett tools, micrometers, solid blade grinding square etc. have fitted wooden boxes. Granted they do take up more space in your tool box. But they keep the tools safe.

It's just a thought.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a empty wooden box for micrometers.
    I can post a picture if your interested.