WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: New Lee Auto Bench Prime

Boolit Bub
    Didnt even know this existed...

Boolit Master
    Suspect Lee was watching what the old Auto Prime II's were going for on E-bay and realized there was a demand for a priming system that worked in a similar fashion. I have heard complaints about the AP II but it is interesting that you don't see many for sale. If they were really that bad would think that the market would be flooded with them.

Boolit Master
    I really like the Auto Prime II. Wish they still made them. I will have to try this out after it has been out awhile. Give them time to work out the bugs.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to have to check that out. Been wanting a bench mounted primer for a while.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Right now, I use a Lee ergo hand primer to prime all of my brass - both pistol and rifle. If this uses the same shell holders, I'm certainly going to give one a try. Looks like it might be a good addition to the loading bench.

Boolit Grand Master

It uses the same shell holders.

Boolit Master
    You'd think Lee would have made it accept regular shell holders. After all, if you are loading for a caliber, then you would have the correct shell holder already. But then, this way Lee can tap a few more of your bucks.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    You'd think Lee would have made it accept regular shell holders. After all, if you are loading for a caliber, then you would have the correct shell holder already. But then, this way Lee can tap a few more of your bucks.
    That's most likely the reason I won't be ordering one.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    It is a leftover from the Auto Prime II which used the simplified shellholders. I kind of like them. They are cheaper than a "standard" shellholder and you can leave a shellholder in the priming tool while loading on the press.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Grand Master

It's not like the shell holders are expensive. Buy a set and be done w/ it.

Boolit Master
    It will save my aching thumbs ,fancy one myself .wonder how long before we get them in the uk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    It's not like the shell holders are expensive. Buy a set and be done w/ it.
    I'm willing to bet the set does not cover my 41 Colt, my 10.5x47R(Mauser A base), my 44-40, or my 45 S&W. Probably not my 32's either.
    Wayne the Shrink

Banned

"I'm willing to bet the set does not cover my 41 Colt, my 10.5x47R(Mauser A base), my 44-40, or my 45 S&W. Probably not my 32's either."

With the exception of the 44-40, why would any manufacturer, other than a specialty manufacturer, make anything, shell holders included, for any of these? Those are "commitment" calibers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I'm willing to bet the set does not cover my 41 Colt, my 10.5x47R(Mauser A base), my 44-40, or my 45 S&W. Probably not my 32's either.
    Do they work w/ a Lee standard shell holder? If it's one of the standard numbered ones than you're covered. Can't make everyone happy.

Boolit Grand Master

No these are the smaller, flat shell holders that Lee used. Lee makes standard (RCBS type) shell holders for all of my calibers with the possible exception of the 41 Colt. Haven't looked for that one.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

.41 colt use shell holder #1
    44/40 " " " #14
    .32 short & long colt ,.32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 colt NP #4
    .32 acp #7
    perhaps the #11 could be hogged out a bit for the .45 S&W
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

No these are the smaller, flat shell holders that Lee used. Lee makes standard (RCBS type) shell holders for all of my calibers with the possible exception of the 41 Colt. Haven't looked for that one.
    And they are the exact same shell holders w/out the attachment spud for the ram. That's why I was asking. You can cut the spud off of a regular shell holder and it will work. The numbers transfer between the two.

Boolit Grand Master

It's in their 2016 catalog that I got in the mail yesterday. I'm so old school , I can't help but send for free catalogs.
    The shell holders for it are the same priming tool shell holders as for the Auto Prime XR and the Lee Ergo Prime tools.
    I still prefer the hand held tools, that way I can take them to work with me and get some important work done .
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-29-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a problem with the Lee using a different shell holder. Manly because I would not want to keep swapping the shell holder back and forth, and I would find myself buying a new one anyways to keep with the primer.

Quote Originally Posted by rtracy2001 View Post
    It is a leftover from the Auto Prime II which used the simplified shellholders. I kind of like them. They are cheaper than a "standard" shellholder and you can leave a shellholder in the priming tool while loading on the press.

The Lee Auto Prime II (no longer in production) uses standard shell holders....they work pretty well but as mentioned before, when you get down to the last 10 or so primers in the "chute" you have to help them (primers) to fully engage onto the priming pin. This new bench primer appears to have a steep enough angle that the primers will feed without that issue. If I didn't have the RCBS unit already I would probably try one. I'm also of the camp of not enjoying filling primer tubes.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast