Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home grown gaschecks.

Dredge

Nice looking dredge... By the way, you suck...lol

I have 3 of the older Keenes so not in the market right now, only allowed 4 inch here.

Mine still suck too tho probably not as well as yours

If I get another I'll look into these.
    Sometimes you're the hydrant
    Sometimes you're the dog

Sorry

Sorry 'bout hijacking the thread tho. Maybe we can justify it by telling how many lead boolits and sinkers we suck up.
    Sometimes you're the dog

In Remembrance

Home grown gas checks

Though dredging up a few pounds of gold is an interesting subject, I will get back to the issue at hand.
    Has anyone thought about how sharp the base should be on a check? I can make them with a radius or very sharp and square. Which has been best for you?
    I have seen some of my boolits with a sharp and square base come out,"recovered," that look like a flower petal, "shuttlecock"? Bevel base boolits don't so much.
    I know I may be picking nits here but the benchrest bullet shooters seem to prefer sharp square bases on their projectiles.
    That being said, most/all of the checks I have used had a fair radius on them.
    With a choice, which would you prefer? For an example, a radius helps in seating. Is that the only reason for the rounded base?
    Life is good

Smile

Radius doesn't matter when seating them the proper way, pushed through nose first.

I've never had any square-shouldered checks. It would be interesting to try. It would be a differentiating feature on the market, as the crimp-on design was when Hornady came out with them.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Radius...just because I know they work.

Banned

I found this statement on Codarnall's ebay ads:

"FREECHEX (tm)* is my invention and method of making aluminum gas checks from discarded soda cans. The point of sale is strictly* eBay. Any other offering for* sale of this or likeness item is a copy or imitation. I manufacture and distribute these tools here* in Camarillo, California for* sale* in eBay's world wide market place."

Someone needs to tell Charlie, his gas check process and method was invented and designed a long time ago, and was sold by various businesses like the Hanned Line etc, not to mention Lyman and Hornady. LOL

Now that's like saying he invented the single stage press...

Boolit Mold
    hey pat,
    Just like there's more than one patented mouse trap
    Charlie's method, operative word here, may not have
    been used or invented by anyone else. I don't think
    Hornady/Lyman or Speer does it his way. Suppose!

Will your machinist-friend's new gas check tool be
    like this one on ebay?
    dave

Boolit Buddy
    As a mental exercise, think about the conditions that have to exist for Charlie’s statements to be factually true. Then try to disprove them one by one. Then think about what he has said.
    Bob

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dlw View Post
    hey pat,
    Just like there's more than one patented mouse trap
    Charlie's method, operative word here, may not have
    been used or invented by anyone else. I don't think
    Hornady/Lyman or Speer does it his way. Suppose!

Will your machinist-friend's new gas check tool be
    like this one on ebay?
    dave
    Somehow I find your first post here suspect Dave. The writting style is somewhat familiar also...

I do think very much the major manufacturers form gaschecks out of punched disks with male and female dies of some configuration. He uses a mallet. Big deal. Codarnall's (operative word) "Method" has been invented and used before..

Well for one thing...

The process of creating a gas check is the same regardless of what material used, who makes it, and how they get it done. A disk is punched then formed by a male and female die, and used to protect the base of a cast boolit.

Hand tool dies sets like "Codarnall" (handle) sells on eBay using a hammer or mallet have been invented/established and sold on the market many times in the past, which accomplishes the same task as above, and functioned the same way as his does. The Hanned line Freecheck works the same as his does.

In case anyone feels I'm trying to move in on Codarnall's operation...

I suggested in past threads he offer his Freechex* (TM) as a group buy here for members on cast boolits, and even offered to help him but he refused and was so bothered by the replies and questions he was getting in PM's, he cancelled his Cast Boolit membership and chose only to sell on eBay. Pretty much thumbing his nose at our Cast Booliteer brethren here.

To each his own.

His design is hardly original, and really a joke to claim it is. Our gas check die tools accomplish the same task as all of these described above, but is not a direct copy of Codarnall's.

If anything Codarnall's designs are a copy of others posted on various forums, if a person were to try and compare the process or method.

It's like copying a reloading press. They all work the same way. A punch, a male and female die. Holy cow, no rocket science here.. ...

Last edited by PatMarlin; 05-07-2008 at 01:49 AM.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

I suggested in past threads he offer his Freechex* (TM) as a group buy here for members on cast boolits, and even offered to help him but he refused and was so bothered by the replies and questions he was getting in PM's, he cancelled his Cast Boolit membership and chose only to sell on eBay. Pretty much thumbing his nose at our Cast Booliteer brethren here.
    That,, is fact. I offered a sticky in our swapping and sales area and many other benefits to help him along and was rather shocked to see his request for removal and all posts of his to be deleted.
    I had no prior knowledge he was bothered so by requests for direct sales, preferring instead to give a slice of his profits to a few billionaires instead of dealing with a dedicated customer base.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master

I contacted Charlie through ebay with a ton of questions about his die set. He redirected me back to his ebay site. I contacted him again and said that I had read his site and had questions, that is why I sent him the email and nicely ask the questions again. One last time he sent me a link to his site, and I never went back. If he is gong to be that arrogant and treat his potential customers like that, it won't be long before he has none.

Best wishes
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    Well at least he makes it easy to know who not to do business with.

Banned

I found this quote of dlw's, uh I mean "codarnall" interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by codarnall View Post
    Fellas around the country have been bugging me to check out this forum. Not real good at this sort of thing. Actually this is a first. I'de been selling gas check making systems on eBay for about two weeks. The systems were designed buy myself at the behest of several custom die customers. I've sold all three systems like hot cakes on eBay. $20 -$22. The gas checks are make from aluminum soda cans. The idea came from the corporate knowledge of the two buyers plus about 400+ visitors. I am waiting for constructive feedback for the some 20 odd systems out there.
    1) Stand-alone. A punch and anvil for 9.3 mm gas checks.
    2) Users sizer die, top punch forming mandrel and aluminum disk holder.
    3) A bezel locked on top of the sizing die LYMAN RCBS with a retaining nut to center the aluminum disk, and the bullet itself used as a mandrel, with a nylon bullet bezel guide to center the bullet on the disk.
    4) Not yet developed yet, but will be a combination of 2. and 3 . tha is,a guiding disk bezel a top punch forming mandrel and a longer ejection rod for the users sizers die.

Corbin gas check stuff is $400. You folks have told me that you are "cheapskates". I've tried to keep costs down by keeping machine time down. System delivered so far are .308 .366 .429 .375 (38-55). One can see the three systems as "view item" under my eBay id which is "codarnall". I am away for the next week. I plan to offer these item again with mods in the next few days while we can on eBay, ie., we're getting kicked off, us "bullet tip folks".

Here's some further history if anyone cares to read through:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=codarnall

Boolit Buddy
    If I had a lathe, I would be making the same thing as the one I bought on e-bay. Your right, this is not a new design. I have to agree... I've never seen a person with such an interested audience shy away from almost gauraneed sales!

I like the product I bought, but codarnall is not the best with his people skills from the posts I read. I was almost afraid to ask him to make me a new die to better match the bullet base's diameter... so I did it myself on a drill press and a fixed file.

It sure is interesting to see the amount people looking to "roll ther own" checks. Nice to see I'm not the only titearse around!

Tight

It sure is interesting to see the amount people looking to "roll ther own" checks. Nice to see I'm not the only titearse around!
    Naw , I'm so tight I squeak when I walk.
    Sometimes you're the dog

Any word on progress on the press check maker???
    Sometimes you're the dog

Boolit Mold

check maker

Hi,
    I'd be interested in a couple different sizes when they get fired up,
    .30 cal one for 7.7 jap/303 brit/7.62x54 same size boolit, and maybe a 45 cal for 45/70... that oughta take care of me...lol...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Any word on progress on the press check maker???

Work is being done daily, and we are getting closer. I've come up with a great punching function that punches and produces accurate disks pretty darn fast, and that is with beer can material which is harder to punch out than the copper.

I believe our tool here will be the best offering that has been done by anyone to date.

A soon as we are ready, I will post pictures and use of our check maker dies, then we will send out a test set to a few other members here at CB to try and report their findings.

I'm also going to post a query thread on what calibers members here would like to start with, and own so we can get more info on the first group buy offering I will run.

Boolit Buddy

less common sizes also?

I am hoping you will have the less common sizes, also, for those of us with the 303 brit, 7.65 argies, etc?

Not so tight I squeak when I walk, just not enough money to buy what I can possibly make myself And worried about availability of supplies here in the state of fruits, nuts, flakes, and idiots.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Banned

Yep-

We will offer custom sized orders also...