MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home grown gaschecks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Pat,

Could you PM on the contact information for your friend and when you plan to come up on the Group Buy board. 30 cal to start.

Bruce
    Bruce,

This will be a venture between he and I, and I will be handling all sales and inquiries.

You or anyone else can PM me with details, thoughts, etc.

Pat...

I can't get back to PM's right away as I'm getting busy, but I usually can check my mail once a day.

Boolit Buddy
    I managed to find some sheet copper of all different thicknesses at www.whimsie.com/coppersheetwire.html. I ordered a 12" x 36" piece that is .030 thickness for about $18 and the same sized sheet of embozzing copper for about $12.

I find that one piece of the .030 crimps on good, as well as 2 aluminum beer can pieces and 1 piece of embossing copper formed into one check also crimps on good.

There appears to be no difference between the homemade checks compared to the store bought ones.

Banned

Did you mean 30 gage instead of .030?

Cause 30 gauge equals 2 beer cans.

Also- .030 is almost double a Hornady gascheck thickness. Gators are about .017, at least the ones I have are and Gators are thicker than Hornady's.

Boolit Bub
    I find that .012 or .015 brass shim stock works very well with all the tools I made so far.

Boolit Grand Master
    [QUOTE..... a small town policeman's 38 special cylinder that has never been out of the holster.....[/QUOTE]

That depends on where said policeman carries his bullet, er...boolits!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    I managed to find some sheet copper of all different thicknesses at www.whimsie.com/coppersheetwire.html. I ordered a 12" x 36" piece that is .030 thickness for about $18 and the same sized sheet of embozzing copper for about $12.

I find that one piece of the .030 crimps on good, as well as 2 aluminum beer can pieces and 1 piece of embossing copper formed into one check also crimps on good.

There appears to be no difference between the homemade checks compared to the store bought ones.
    Went to the site and how many30 cal cks can be made with a 24"x24" sheet of copper?
    And the medium is 30 ga. which is about right for cks.
    I have one of the 30 cal from Ebay works fine except it takes time and I am lazy I use two of the al from soda cans, the bottom is better with it bieng twice a thick as the sides, and they are free and coated.

Boolit Master
    I have gotten interested in making GC's (price of store bought and independance). I have looked at the one's on Evil bay and have wondered on their quality. I think I would rather buy one from Pat Marlin.
    (I'm an aircraft mechanic and might be able to get some .015 alum. sheet 4x8)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by newsmokepole64 View Post
    I have gotten interested in making GC's (price of store bought and independance). I have looked at the one's on Evil bay and have wondered on their quality. I think I would rather buy one from Pat Marlin.
    (I'm an aircraft mechanic and might be able to get some .015 alum. sheet 4x8)
    I have one of the gas check makers from the evilbay seller, codarnall. It is well made.
    Charlie was good about following up with a phone call and has offered to make another mandrel to fit my undersized mould.
    There is probably room for another maker in the marketplace.
    I am sure that Pat Marlin's product will also be well made.

I'm considering making one for myself. I would like to see if I can design and build one that mounts in my press and cuts and forms the check in one step.

Jack

Boolit Master

I have been needing a 30 cal GC maker. I have been watching Evilbay for codarnall to put up a 30 cal. I missed a 310 that he made because I was in brain dead mode. I need a 309, and didn't buy the 310 that he had thinking the checks would be loose on the boolit. I forgot that I have to seat the checks by running through a 309 sizing die. Geez I am such a Dumb a$$.

I still need a 30 cal check maker A.S.A.P. If someone can help me out in that area it would be great.

Best Wishes,

CPT T.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

I think the soda can gas check is a great idea . My guess is the alloy is "O" type aluminum , meaning soft pure material . It wont corrode if not exposed to strong acids or electrolysis from other materials .

A south American site lists aluminum gas checks for sale ( more $$ than copper ones ).

Boolit Master

To lreed................

Quote Originally Posted by lreed View Post
    Thanks for the replies,...
    To Badgeredd..there are so many mixes of brass some very brittle and all brass I've dealt with is tough to cut with a punch,I've even explored the possibility of zinc foil, but that stuff they say will spontaneously ignite.
    I know what you are saying is true of a lot of thin brass sheets...but the brass "SHIM" stock is a semi-soft material that forms well in the thinner pieces. I say this as a tool maker that has used it for years in repairing older injection molds. Note I specifically mentioned "SHIM" stock. Last I checked it could be purchased from several tool and die supply houses. The thing I'm not really sure of is whether the cost would be reasonable. Anyway it is just a suggestion for your experimentation. I'd suspect that one could get a small piece to try for free at most any tool shop or tooling (molds, dies. and the like) repair shop or even some plastics molders have a small tool room that may have some. Maybe a local machine shop would have some on hand. Also since it is available in various thicknesses from .001 to .060 you'd have a variety of thicknesses that you could try. Like I said, just a thought.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    I have been needing a 30 cal GC maker. I have been watching Evilbay for codarnall to put up a 30 cal. I missed a 310 that he made because I was in brain dead mode. I need a 309, and didn't buy the 310 that he had thinking the checks would be loose on the boolit. I forgot that I have to seat the checks by running through a 309 sizing die. Geez I am such a Dumb a$$.

I still need a 30 cal check maker A.S.A.P. If someone can help me out in that area it would be great.

Best Wishes,

CPT T.
    So contact Charlie as he may not have sold all he has.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by VTDW View Post
    So contact Charlie as he may not have sold all he has.
    Last email I got from him he only had the one 30 cal, and me being a Dumb A$$ I missed out on it. I guess I will have to wait for the next one to come up on Evilbay.

Best wishes,
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

I have one of charlie's 30 cal GC makers- would someone be kind enough to try some of the checks out for me? I'm at school and have no access to a 30 cal GC mold or a rifle to fire them from yet. However I wanna start kickin some of these things out.

PM me if someone wants to try some free checks- alls I ask is that you tell me which thickness worked best so I can start making myself a decent supply.

Banned

Well I know one thing, we won't sell a half **** tool that doesn't work well. Plus if there is a problem it will be replaced ASAP.

It will be tested by the best here at Cast Boolits, and when they give the full go ahead we will run with it. Non of this secretive ebay nonsense.

big thanks to boerrancher for offering to help me out!

Boolit Buddy
    My bad guys... it's 30 gauge or .010". I also see that it's up to 24 bones a yard.
    I also turned the bottom of the die on my tool to .287" or .288" to match the base of my 30 cal molds. The 30 gauge does very good, as does 2 beer can and one copper foil disks.

I can get good roof flashing locally for $9-$10 buck a 8" x 36" roll... if my memory is right.

I haven't figured out how many of these I can get out of a yard, but it sould be quite a few.

Boolit Buddy

Home grown gas checks

Hello: I have read with care all the replies,opinions and advice offered to my original post. The design and making a simple one-at-a-time tool for homemade checks ain't no big thing,I did it first try and can't even spell mechinest,the big thing IMHO is a design that involves quick,easy and accuracy. With quick and easy and a gascheck every pull of the handle you need carbide,or at least hardened tool steel for dies ect ect, all equals large money. Again Imho all value gained from HG-gaschecks is lost if,tools can't aquired at a very low price and the the stock to make them from for even less.
    I did a quick figure on the copper stock listed from whimsey studio site mentioned in one of the prievous posts, if I figured it right, after the cost of the copper stock, the shipping and fumbleing, a .32 cal check would cost a bit under 2 cents vs a Hornady check from Shooter's Supply at smig over 2.5 cents+ shipping. Of course if copper stock was purchased large it would be cheaper,but then you'd lose you amature standing.
    Aluminum is the only option that I see,and hope for one of them fellers with a bunch of letters after his name that don't spell nothing, to come forward and convince us that aluminum won't hurt a barrel,maybe even do it good.

thanks lreed

Banned

The prices that link has are high. I already have a supplier that will beat that price, and the price goes WAY, way down with a large order.

We will either run a separate copper group buy, or incorporate it in the gascheck maker buy, but I think most likely group as I can negotiate a nice low cost for the the group.

As far as a real cheap ALA LEE priced gascheck maker die goes, forget about it. If a guy can make his own for that cost, or buy the ebay guys check maker that would be the best way to go for him, but I'm not getting into a situation where we loose our rear end, and can't keep up with sales and commitments.

I've been in business way to long for that nonsense, and we will not be doing onesee twosee eBay orders.

My goal is to produce one (1) check maker with a hardened- high quality punch that will produce a useable check for each caliber. NOT needing various sizes per calibers like a sizing die- .309, .310, .311, etc. One tool for 30 cal. One tool for 45 cal and so on.

Also- supply copper at a cost that will allow the user to make checks much lower in cost than buying ready made checks. The tool will be beer can friendly, for those that want to lower their gascheck costs even farther, and eliminate dependance on factory gas checks all together.

We will price it as low as possible...

Boolit Buddy
    too cool i'm just waiting to order me one patmarlin. kjg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast