Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPS Shipping

Boolit Master on Heavens Range

USPS Shipping

According to USPS, the most important thing we should do is either place a photo copy of the shipping label or hand write a copy of the addresses of both the shipper and the intended receiver and the tracking #, inside the box.

If the original label comes off, or gets damaged and unreadable, etc., the package is sent to a USPS recovery location. Once the package arrives, it is opened to determine what the package contents are and look for shipping information. If all the shipping information is included inside the box, they will recreate the shipping label and reship at no additional expense.

I found out the hard way...
    Last edited by Bonz; 01-15-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Good to know

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I ship lots of stuff with my company. Have for many years. You ALWAYS put a packing list INSIDE the box! That is with USPS/UPS/FEDEX. That way, if anything on the outside gets damaged (many times with USPS for us! Never use USPS anymore) they can know where it came from and return it to you.

bangerjim

Boolit Master

I include a packing slip. In addition, after taping the edges of the label, I put a wide strip of tape across the name and address on the label. I think I learned it here. Every time I do that I think; Destroy that, if you can. Probably helps that I usually use Priority with tracking and insurance included, small packages with low value.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

I put the contents in the free Tyvek envelopes with the address on the envelopes. Even if the box is total destroyed each envelope has an address on it.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-15-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    According to USPS, the most important thing we should do is either place a photo copy of the shipping label or hand write a copy of the addresses of both the shipper and the intended receiver and the tracking #, inside the box.

If the original label comes off, or gets damaged and unreadable, etc., the package is sent to a USPS recovery location. Once the package arrives, it is opened to determine what the package contents are and look for shipping information. If all the shipping information is included inside the box, they will recreate the shipping label and reship at no additional expense.

I found out the hard way...
    (and the tracking #, inside the box.)
    That means printing the label BEFORE wrapping the box? That would be the only way to get a tracking # so it could be included inside the box. Printing the label is the last thing I do. Sometimes I package stuff a couple of days before I send it.

I agree the destination addy should be on the the contents so it could still be forwarded if it gets broken open.

Be careful about taping across the label. You cannot cover the bar code area, their scanners can't read past a shiny surface. I use the heaviest grade paper I have so it is harder to rip off.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone that has received a box from me knows I tape over the addresses and bar codes with clear shipping tape. No problems with scanning yet, but it's only been a couple hundred shipments.

I always put the goods in a tyvek bag inside the box and print "Lost from inside postage paid box. Please return to: (address)" on the bag.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Anyone that has received a box from me knows I tape over the addresses and bar codes with clear shipping tape. No problems with scanning yet, but it's only been a couple hundred shipments.

I always put the goods in a tyvek bag inside the box and print "Lost from inside postage paid box. Please return to: (address)" on the bag.
    Perhaps you should read the destructions on the click-N-ship label where it says
    "1 Each click-N-sjip label is unique. Labels are to be use as prinetd and only used once. DO NOT PHOTO COPY OR ALTER LABEL

2. Place your label so it does not wrap around the edge of the package.

Adhere your label to the package. A self adhesive label is recommended. DO NOT TAPE OVER BARCODE. Be sure all edges are secure.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    YES you can tape over the barcode I do on every package and cover both addresses . the old scaners had a problem but new ones don't .
    The duck brand tape that Lowes has is the best and cheapest I have found

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Perhaps you should read the destructions on the click-N-ship label where it says
    "1 Each click-N-sjip label is unique. Labels are to be use as prinetd and only used once. DO NOT PHOTO COPY OR ALTER LABEL

2. Place your label so it does not wrap around the edge of the package.

Adhere your label to the package. A self adhesive label is recommended. DO NOT TAPE OVER BARCODE. Be sure all edges are secure.
    Perhaps the USPS should handle the packages better. I don't care about their label rules. I care about my package getting to its destination. The fact is, putting clear tape over the address and bar codes does not prevent scanning and does positively affect package survivablility.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Perhaps the USPS should handle the packages better. I don't care about their label rules. I care about my package getting to its destination. The fact is, putting clear tape over the address and bar codes does not prevent scanning and does positively affect package survivablility.

My last company used UPS courier service and Fedex for overnight. I routinely taped over the labels as the humidity and rain smudges the writing easily here.

Boolit Master

Nice to know the new scanners can read through tape. It might happen that perhaps, maybe, someday, USPS will update their instructions. I don't want to start a fight, but where did you get that information?
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Me? I got my information by dropping packages at the PO, watching them be scanned and then seeing tracking updates as the package moved around the country.

I will say I'm careful to make sure the tape is smooth across the codes and addresses. I wouldn't doubt that if you have big wrinkles over the codes it might cause problems.

I always tape over "half" of the barcode and tape over the addresses which are not scanned.

USPS told me that I could make a photocopy of the shipping label and put it inside the box. They said that its against the law to make a photocopy of a shipping label and try to use the photocopy as a label to ship another box. LOL, no freebies

Boolit Grand Master

I use clear packing tape and tape over the entire label i generated online at usps. I have never lost a label as the box would have to be destroyed to lose one. Bonz has great advice and frim now on ill put an extra inside.

Never thought to do it before. Thanks Bonz

Btw: whoever told you it is against the law to make photocopies is full of it. One of the options in printing the label at home is to make 2 copies and also to save it as a pdf.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I use clear packing tape and tape over the entire label i generated online at usps. I have never lost a label as the box would have to be destroyed to lose one. Bonz has great advice and frim now on ill put an extra inside.
    That was USPS's excuse for not honoring a claim for a lost box of brass.

Boolit Master
    I'm a rural carrier. Please don't put the barcode where 2 edges of cardboard meet. The edges 'dip' and sometimes the code won't scan. Putting tape on 1/2 the code is a good idea. Usually one side or the other will scan. Write 'from x' and 'to Y' on several sides but smaller than where the stamps or paid stickers are. Use the standard letter placement on packages. I've seen a package with one name on one side and another name on the other side without from or to on either side. You can guess that one took longer than most....

Consider writing the 'zip code' in larger numbers that are EASY to read. If clear tape is used without bumps, folds, or clearness issues it doesn't usually cause problems but I still wouldn't tape all of a barcode.

A small test of how well you have done is show someone the package for 1/2 second. If they can't clearly understand who it's from and who it is to, then it could be better.

Simple and BOLD is good when it comes to addressing. Flowing prose that is not readable just doesn't work.. Larger printing is good. Some try to make the letters much too small for fast reading.

I ( and most of my fellow rural carriers ) take great pride in doing a good job. Indeed, I know over 95% of my customers on a first name basis and I would hate to think I did them wrong by damaging or delaying a package.

Dale
    Last edited by castalott; 01-18-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    That was USPS's excuse for not honoring a claim for a lost box of brass.
    Packing tape over the label? The lady at the post office up here told me it was fine as long as it was flat, clear and had no seams or bubbles. I asked before shipping. That's the problem with USPS. Everyone says something different. I stopped at a post office a couple of towns away to mail a box and first she told me the SFRB weighed too much. UH..it says right on the box "all you can fit". Then she said if you have to tape it you have too much in it. I just took it back and went to the local PO. The lady there looked at me and told me it was fine and that PO were a bunch of idiots. I had a PO tell me I couldn't ship a regular box because I used some priority tape on it. What??? I took it to my local, again, and again she laughed and said that person was an idiot.

No wonder UPS and FedEx are taking over.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    "I had a PO tell me I couldn't ship a regular box because I used some priority tape on it. What??? I took it to my local, again, and again she laughed and said that person was an idiot." quote

Sure you can ship a non priority box with priority tape on it but you should pay the standard priority rate if caught at the end the receiver will pay postage due for the difference.
    City Carrier 34 years

I tape over the labels to prevent damage to the labels and have not had a problem with a single package getting delivered in 3+ years of shipping almost daily. In fact as we speak I have 14 SFRB waiting for today's pickup. Clear tape with the lable flat and no wrinkles or bubbles is the way to go.

Is a sad day that my labels jumped from $5.25 to $6.80 now though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast