Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USPS Shipping

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I print all my labels using PayPal Multi-order shipping, $6.10 SFRB, with free tracking, doesn't every one use them "only" for their cheaper rates?

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

scan0003.pdf

I doubt this will show up, it's a copy of the click&ship instructions concerning copying and covering the barcode on the label. Not saying anyone doubts what I said was wrong, just putting it out there as to what the post office wants us to not do.

I too want the entire label to be covered with clear shipping tape. Postal workers are not too careful with packages, the paper label could easily be ripped off if not covered with plenty of tape. For my boxes, I cover all of the label with tape except the barcode.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    According to USPS, the most important thing we should do is either place a photo copy of the shipping label or hand write a copy of the addresses of both the shipper and the intended receiver and the tracking #, inside the box.
    Have done that before.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    I print all my labels using PayPal Multi-order shipping, $6.10 SFRB, with free tracking, doesn't every one use them "only" for their cheaper rates?

Ken
    No, i dont use them. I go direct to usps and print my sfrb labels for $5.25
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    No, i dont use them. I go direct to usps and print my sfrb labels for $5.25
    That's the old pricing. And as such Paypal price was cheaper than directly off of the USPS site. I'm pretty sure he meant to type $5.10. I haven't shipped anything since the new pricing went into effect so I'm not sure what the charges now are.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    That's the old pricing. And as such Paypal price was cheaper than directly off of the USPS site. I'm pretty sure he meant to type $5.10. I haven't shipped anything since the new pricing went into effect so I'm not sure what the charges now are.
    SFRB is $6.80 now even with my commercial account At least that is what I paid for several over the last couple days.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I shipped a SFRB last week. I have an online account. The Click N Ship rate was $6.80.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    In the post office it cost me $6.80 for a small flat rate box.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My deal is I pack it all and secure the addresses . I never worried about the contents getting completely separated from the boxes out west . Being here however I have a 50/50 chance of every package coming or going through Memphis TN . They I firmly believe have no less that 50% of the staff fill with Samsonite and airlines luggage handlers . I've begun double packaging where possible for anything going east of Kansas from here .

I just received a padded envelope with a bubble envelope inside that contained a coil spring kit with the springs in one kit embedded in their manufacturer plastic bag .

Ive had 2 items that I could have driven over and picked up spent a night both was and met up with friends for a day or two and been time ahead . The Midway box took 4 days to clear Missouri and 3 across Arkansas twice . Another took 14 days after the ETA on the Express box to come 168 miles from 40 miles south of Tulsa to 55 miles south of Ft Smith AR .
    What's irritating about that is that I've gotten packages from Oregon , Nevada , and Idaho in under 72 hr from counter to box/porch . It's not ok .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    My deal is I pack it all and secure the addresses . I never worried about the contents getting completely separated from the boxes out west . Being here however I have a 50/50 chance of every package coming or going through Memphis TN . They I firmly believe have no less that 50% of the staff fill with Samsonite and airlines luggage handlers . I've begun double packaging where possible for anything going east of Kansas from here .

I just received a padded envelope with a bubble envelope inside that contained a coil spring kit with the springs in one kit embedded in their manufacturer plastic bag .

Ive had 2 items that I could have driven over and picked up spent a night both was and met up with friends for a day or two and been time ahead . The Midway box took 4 days to clear Missouri and 3 across Arkansas twice . Another took 14 days after the ETA on the Express box to come 168 miles from 40 miles south of Tulsa to 55 miles south of Ft Smith AR .
    What's irritating about that is that I've gotten packages from Oregon , Nevada , and Idaho in under 72 hr from counter to box/porch . It's not ok .

He is right about Memphis. I live less than 100 miles from Memphis and I have five packages that have been floating in "the Twilight Zone" for weeks after reaching Memphis.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I mailed a first class letter from Denver to LA on the 1 8th of May, and it hasn’t gotten there yet. This was a replacement letter for one that took a month to get there, also. I’m done with the PO.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    In the post office it cost me $6.80 for a small flat rate box.
    They're up to $8.45 now.

I sell and ship a lot of brass, quite often MFRB's and LFRB's packed full. When I can, I use the Tyvek envelopes to put the brass in, and tape those tightly into a bundle.

I'll take a second box and cut it into pieces to completely line the shipping box with, then tape those pieces together - essentially making a second box inside the first. Doubling the cardboard thickness.

Then, I'll use the nylon filament strapping tape and tape the snot of of it. All the seams, all the edges, and around the middles. A LFRB full of 9mm brass weighs around 45lbs, one full of .223 a bit less. I want that sucker tough enough to jump up and down on when I'm done, and I want it to arrive intact!

A PITA, yes - but worth it, and unfortunately, necessary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    I'm a rural carrier. Please don't put the barcode where 2 edges of cardboard meet. The edges 'dip' and sometimes the code won't scan. Putting tape on 1/2 the code is a good idea. Usually one side or the other will scan. Write 'from x' and 'to Y' on several sides but smaller than where the stamps or paid stickers are. Use the standard letter placement on packages. I've seen a package with one name on one side and another name on the other side without from or to on either side. You can guess that one took longer than most....

Consider writing the 'zip code' in larger numbers that are EASY to read. If clear tape is used without bumps, folds, or clearness issues it doesn't usually cause problems but I still wouldn't tape all of a barcode.

A small test of how well you have done is show someone the package for 1/2 second. If they can't clearly understand who it's from and who it is to, then it could be better.

Simple and BOLD is good when it comes to addressing. Flowing prose that is not readable just doesn't work.. Larger printing is good. Some try to make the letters much too small for fast reading.

I ( and most of my fellow rural carriers ) take great pride in doing a good job. Indeed, I know over 95% of my customers on a first name basis and I would hate to think I did them wrong by damaging or delaying a package.

Dale
    Ahh... the old days. That was an Amazon thing. I lost more time trying to scan those Amazon boxes than anything else.

I used to have a side business, I shipped over 100 packages a week. I ALWAYS taped over the barcode and the address. The old scanners had no problem reading through the tape. I left before the current generation of carrier tracking devices were released.

As long as the tape was flat with no wrinkles or bubbles the scanner had no problem. Getting the barcode caught in the gap caused a lot of problems.

A properly packaged item will arrive 99.99% of the time with no problem. Improperly packaged items...not so much.

During the short time I was a mail handler we had some bozo that decided to send some ripe apricots to a friend. He took a large cardboard box, dumped in 50 lbs of ripe apricots, taped it up and mailed it...parcel post. Of course this was during a warm spell. In the 12 hours it took those apricots to make it to the main office they had been reduced to mush and were fermenting. What a mess.

If you don't have access to a apricot tree then you don't know what a ripe apricot is...that actually goes for peaches, plums, and nectarines too.

All of those stone fruits should be eaten right off the tree warm from the sun. Make sure you have a towel because you're going to get wet while you enjoy those bits of heaven.

A truly ripe stone fruit can't be shipped around the block, much less 100 miles down the road in a box with no padding.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12