RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: 32 Winchester Special mould.

Boolit Master

32 Winchester Special mould.

I'm helping a buddy get set up to cast for his 94 in this caliber. I've never cast for this caliber and the rifle isn't to hand so . . . help?

What would be nominal bore size?

I like the Lyman 311 041, did they ever make a similar boolit for the 32?

Am I correct in thinking that we can make brass from 30-30 brass?

Thanks.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I shoot the .323" version of this bullet in 8x57 Mauser with excellent
    results. The .32 Winchester Special version is .321", which is the
    correct diameter (typically).

http://gardnerscache.com/32win_spl_170_lfp_g_c.html

Dutch

Boolit Grand Master

You can use 30-30 brass but it will have the incorrect head stamp with an oversized bullet for a 30-30. It is difficult to tell the 30-30 and 32 special apart unless they are side by side. I do use improperly head stamped brass but in this case it might be such a good idea unless you obscure the original stamping. I have used an electric engraver to do this.

Boolit Master
    Easiest way if using both 30/30 and 32 Special is segregate cases by head stamp, use one brand for 30/30 and a different brand for reformed 32 Special. I do this now for cast versus jacketed brass for my 06 and 243.

Moderator Emeritus

"The" .32 Winchester Special boolit, so I have been told, is the ubiquitous Ideal or Lyman 321297. I have one of each, and my only regret is they're both single cavity -- but, if you can find one, it may be worth the wait. I bought a Lyman 321232, a FNGC boolit which drops 168gr slugs, which works OK, too. RCBS offers their 32-170 which drops FNGC 170 grain boolits as well. Also, if you can find one, Winchester made a series of wood-handles single cavity moulds in most of their offerings (.25-20; .30WCF, .38-40; .32WCF; .38-55; etc.) as well as the .32 Winchester Special. I have not used mine, so I can't comment on it.
    Re bore size, I size mine to 0.321". HOWEVER, 'tis nor unwise to slug YOUR barrel, and take it from there. I have two .32WS's, and .321 seems to function in both.
    I once almost "stole" a rifle a friend asked me to check out as his "30-30" wouldn't hit a barn at fifty feet. Turns out, which took me but seconds to notice, he was shooting .30-30 bullets in his rifle which had been chambered for the .32 Winchester Special! (Being honest, I advised, and that's last I saw of this firearm ). VERY easy to miss-them up (sic) -- I used Dykem lay-out fluid on the head of my converted .30WCF cases when I expand and load the .32WS boolits in them. Also, if you have the means, I do recommend annealing your cases. Mine seem to get "old" in very few firings...
    BEST! The .32WS has had a LOT of bad press -- but, I'm one who like it! I'm sure, with care in loading, you will as well!
    BEST!
    george
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 01-13-2016 at 06:17 PM.

I have some brass if you need some...not many. I have grandson sorting brass and know there is some in the mix. If you want them drop me a pm.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the RD 323-170 (180) but in my older 32's the throat is a bit tight for the RD boolit's fat ogive. I've found Accurate's 322-170a is a good fit for my older (1921 and 1957) 94's.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lyman 321297 is a good one for the 32 WS but the one I had had a seriously undersize nose. Not all are that way since a friend has one that casts a big enough nose to ride the lands. The RCBS 32-170-FN has a good reputation but I have not used it. My favorite.is an Old West 323-189-GC which is a good deer thumper. The Winchester mold marked 32WS is a good plain base bullet but high priced if you find one.

Banned

The 3212332 plain based bullet is great for plinking loads in my Marlin. I use the NOE 325-180 FP for deer hunting, worked great on a small doe this year. I size all mine to .323.

I have a 321297 mold somewhere, it seems there was a problem with how it fed in my rifle, but I don't remember right now, maybe I need to try it again.

Boolit Master

Ah, thank you gentlemen. That is the very helpful data I needed. Now I'll start acquiring.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

There are a couple of other bullets that you might try. The Lyman 323470, is a Loverin GC style bullet that will weight about 160+ gr. I shot it in a 336 Marlin and it gave good accuracy with RL7.

If your patient and can find the 321295 (321297 also) on Ebay, it's a 175 gr GC and made for the 32/40 - 32WS.

Frank

Well I am a little late to this party so I will pretty much just echo what others have said. When I started loading for 32ws I was using what I had for 8mm which meant the 323470 Loverin. I sized them to .323 as my barrel slugged .322. That bullet did just fine with all of my early testing but then I lucked out on the RCBS 32-170 mold (threw out a low bit on the bay and ended up winning.) Since then Its all I have been shooting in both light loads with shotgun powders and heavier loads with rifle powders. I'll toss up a picture below of them side by side. As for the brass, all I have ever used is 30-30 brass that I have necked up in my dies. No problems with it and I can really stock up if I hit the range in the weeks before hunting season opens and "clean up" after my fellow shooters. Whatever route your buddy goes he will probably love that rifle. I started out reloading for mine because I had 30-30 brass laying around and figured why not, now it is one of my favorite shooters and accompanies me to the range almost every trip.
    -Tim in Rip City

You may need a bigger dia. If your barrel is well worn like my 1928 vintage win 32 mine won't shoot the standard .322 size except at low speed I have to use .324 at full power . Another option would be buy some already cast . I ordered some From midway for xmass from hunter supply bullets it's a close copy of the rcbs bullet they offer two sizes .322 and .324 cast of Lyman #2 they claim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

For my 1935-made Winchester 94 in 32 Win, I found that Lee's standard 8mm boolit mold in 170gr makes for a nice bullet and literally casts out at .323 for a perfect fit. Its a great bullet to start the reloading of the rifle with without breaking the bank or constantly hunting for a discontinued Lyman or Ideal mold. I've since modified one of these molds to cast a flatbase 175gr bullet that is just perfect for plinking practice out to 100yards without the need of putting a gascheck on it.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Accurate molds will cut ANYTHING you want, to your specs, with your alloy. Win, win, win.......
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Iam with bruce 8mm lee mold shoot as cast

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    You just mark the base by scribbling out the "30-30" with an electro pencil.

Not rocket science.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    For my 1935-made Winchester 94 in 32 Win, I found that Lee's standard 8mm boolit mold in 170gr makes for a nice bullet and literally casts out at .323 for a perfect fit. Its a great bullet to start the reloading of the rifle with without breaking the bank or constantly hunting for a discontinued Lyman or Ideal mold. I've since modified one of these molds to cast a flatbase 175gr bullet that is just perfect for plinking practice out to 100yards without the need of putting a gascheck on it.

Bruce
    _EXACTLY_ which LEE mold are you referring to here?

The LEE 90274 is 175 nominal grains, and a round nose, not particularly appropriate for a Winchester '94?
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.