MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman Mold Master XX

Boolit Master

Lyman Mold Master XX

Bought this some time ago and have been using it and it works BUT, seems to take a long time to heat up. Was poking at it the other day and noticed there was no insulation between the pot and the outer jacket. Is this normal or should there be insulation to help hold heat in the pot?

Boolit Master

Mine has insulation between the pot and outer jacket on the sides. With time my thermostat began to fail. I had to keep turning it higher and higher to get to casting temperature. When the thermostat finally died I went with a PID. It made a huge difference in my casting.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. Will figure how to get it apart and add some insulation. Holding temp doesn't seem to be the problem, but that may be an issue hidden by the slow heating.

Boolit Master
    The spade connectors and hook up wire give out after a while and it will be slow to heat or not reach temp. You'll need to get wire and connectors that are rated for high temp. That stuff at the home center ain't going to cut it. I scavenge wire and insulation from self cleaning ovens and get the connectors from the appliance parts store. They all need a "tune-up" periodically. Be careful with the sheet mica that the detachable cord plugs into.

Boolit Master
    Insulated the pot, no joy, still needed almost an hour to melt 14 # of lead. Contacts were tight, no sign of burning or corrosion, contacts in plug were clean. Rated at 850 watts and element glows red. Said to hell with it, boxed up and ready to ship to Deputydog.

Boolit Buddy

Had the same issue with the Lyman. Deputydog did a great job. You will be happy.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine has the pour stem locked up. I have not took the time to try and get it going so far.
    Deputydog has retired due to health issues from what I read. His service rebuilding pots will be missed.

Bob

Le Loup Solitaire
    The Lyman Mouldmasters were excellent pots that were produced by the same company that made the old Saeco's. They were only ten pounders, but the quality control was good. Built to last a long time and they usually did, but age and corrosion often caught up with the contacts or the thermostat and repair/replacement or rebuild was sometimes necessary. I have a couple of Saeco's that are still going strong after decades of use. If any kind of restoration or tuneup is needed it is certainly worth the effort and cost. LLS

Boolit Master
    This is the 20 pounder, all aluminum. I have two of the old Lyman 10 pounders and both still work okay. Use the smaller pots for rifle bullets, but need the bigger pot for pistol bullets. A 5 or 6 cavity 45 mold uses a lot of alloy and I found it less of a hassle to run one big pot, rather than add alloy and wait for temp to stabilize.