Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: C Sharps 1874 in 45-90

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Those BACO moulds are worth the wait.
    Good things always are, my friend. I should have ordered it when you told me about it awhile back. I studied on it awhile and meant to order it, just didn't. I ordered a custom sizer from them awhile back and it was only a couple of weeks.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Tinkered a bit in the loading room today; loaded 20 rounds with Swiss FFg because that's what I have. 75grs gave me .080" compression under the Lyman 457125 and a .060" veggie wad in a Starline case. 78grs gave me .185" compression. Loaded 10 of each.
    Found a pound of OE FFg. Had 50 boolits sized and 40 cases prepped so decided to load them too. 72grs gave me .140" compression and 75grs gave me .180". Loaded ten of these as well.
    Since I'm planning on using 1.5Fg of OE or Swiss I can't really say what I hope to learn with these loads. At the very least it will give me some trigger time and a little more practice with my Labradar.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Range Report

Wow, that rifle's a shooter! Even found one load that shows a lot of promise. Can't get over how low the ES is on a good load, even a decent load. Haven't gone over my velocity data much yet but I think they merely back up what the targets and gun told me. Best load was the Swiss with .185" compression. Worst load was OE with .180 compression. Didn't get to shoot the 72gr OE load. I want to revisit OE but for now I'll go with Swiss. Both were a bunch better than the KIK I used for forming cases but I really like KIK in my Colts and C&B revolvers.

Correct me if I'm wrong; I'm thinking my next step is to get some 1.5 Swiss and determine a load that gives me a similar compression. Will use that for a starting point and load a few 2-3grs either side of that charge.

Found a front sight insert I like a bunch better than the fine crosshair that I was struggling with, a heavier crosshair with a circle in the center.

Awesome day at the range...other than a flat tire. Got to reminisce about my NASCAR days, lol.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Wow, that rifle's a shooter! I want to revisit OE but for now I'll go with Swiss. Both were a bunch better than the KIK I used for forming cases but I really like KIK in my Colts and C&B revolvers.

Correct me if I'm wrong; I'm thinking my next step is to get some 1.5 Swiss and determine a load that gives me a similar compression. Will use that for a starting point and load a few 2-3grs either side of that charge.
    OK, I will offer an opinion. Yes, you found a working load with Swiss and it works well compressed and not compressed. I do not think it was the compression of any given amount that made the rifle do what it was built to do. It was the powder and the and well cast bullets and assembled in a way that works. Compression is much over talked about when shooting best grade powders. It is what is done to try to make lesser powders shoot and/or not foul so bad.

A different lott of Swiss will work too. They make great powder. What I think you will find is that there will be a number of sweet spots from around zero compression up to higher than where you (don't) want to go.

Every few grains change in powder charge weight, the barrel vibration and bullet exit will coincide with the end of a swing. That and a combo of mild primer, fast lock time and good fouling control will help keep the bullets going into the same hole. That is what you are looking for.

I would start at ZERO compression or in other words, near 100% density and go up from there. That is plenty of powder for the 45-2.4" case.
    You are on your way.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you, Chill Wills. I think I understand what you have taken the time to explain to me. Quite often I have read that Swiss and OE need little if any compression, I found it odd that the higher charge of Swiss seemed to work better today. I shared the rifle range today with a few gents who couldn't find paper @ 100 yds with modern rifles and scopes. They figured since neither of my rifles were scoped I wouldn't be of much help. One expressed an interest so I plucked a booolit out of a loaded round to show him what I was launching. I guess it's best that they didn't have a spotting scope, lol.

Boolit Grand Master

Weighed/lubed/sized the last of that batch of boolits and traded some 20-1 for some 1.5Fg Swiss. These buffalo guns go thru the powder and lead! Need to fire up a pot and cast another batch soon. I'll swap out my rear sights and get a few 100% loads assembled before bedtime. Range trip tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master

70grs w/ no compression puts the driving band even w/ case mouth, 71grs about .030 out of the case and touching the lands. Feeling pretty good about the 71gr load. Seated the wads with a 32WCF case, lol.

Boolit Grand Master

Range Report

Fired the above loads today; temps in the 90's and humidity about 95%. All loads a bit dirty, had to clean between shots or next round would not chamber. 70gr load actually shot best; thinking about loading 70.5grs and compressing about .010 or .015.
    What do the experts think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	170089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1023.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	170091

Load number 10 (70grs 1.5Fg) involved a sight adjustment, final five rounds in lower group. Load 10A was 71grs, last round got away from me. Distance was 100 yds, shooting directly into a very light breeze.

Boolit Grand Master

Got an e-mail from BACO, Money mould on the way. Don't think I'll have time to work up a load but I'll try, need to cast a few anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems I had a user error on my drop tube. Tube was too far into the cartridge so little was gained. Corrected that and was able to charge the case with 71 grs and .020 to .030" compression.
    BACO Money mould was in the mailbox today. I can see where the boolit's designer referenced the Lyman 457125 for his design. Will cast some of both tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master

Dunno if I like this BACO mould, seems the boolit is too big for the mould. Takes a firm grip to prevent finning. Seems I've run out of time for my Whit's Buff load. Seems I'll need to load a few more try loads for this weekend. Will take what I learn this weekend and load up a few to fling at that steel buffalo. Spotter's kitchen pass got cancelled so if anyone is going to be in Raton next week pls send me a PM.

Boolit Master
    I'll be there for sure. Will be mostly working with lever guns early on though. BUT have no fear, there is always someone around on the hill to spot the buffalo for you.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a plan. I'm staying in one of the founders' cabins, forget which one.

Boolit Master
    IL be in the West campground. Site 119 I believe. Stop by for a beer.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds good, have a safe trip.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345