Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: message in a stock

Boolit Bub

message in a stock

i was cleaning my model 14 .35 rem and suddenly thought i wonder if anything is under the butplate. now sure what got into me. i pulled it off and sure enough there was an old piece of waxed paper that said "golden crust" on it wrapped around some super heavy duty matches. there was also a paper wrapped around a pencil. i was pretty disapointed to find no message on it. so i wrote where and when we bought the gun and todays date. maybe somebody will find this little time capsule again someday. wonder how old it all was.

Boolit Master

Someone's homemade survival kit.
    God Bless, Whisler

I read an article recently about that same thing. I think John Taffin wrote about a hunt he and some friends did not long ago. It seems one of his friends had bought an old rifle and in the process of cleaning it took off the butt plate and there was a message in there, it had the original owners name, where he bought it, the date he bought it and how much he paid for it. There was also the name he had given the rifle. I thought it pretty cool and want to do that with a few of mine that I've had for some time. I'm hoping my Grandsons or maybe Great Grandsons find it and think of their Pa.

Boolit Grand Master
    I found the iron sights for a Savage Model 219 in the buttstock once.

Looks you found the unobtainium -- strike anywhere matches. I wonder how long that stuff has been in there, it has been a long time since I saw a pencil with that checkered texture.

Robert

Boolit Master

An old trick to water proof matches was to dip them in airplane glue.the pencil I never have seen one like that one and what purpose it served I don't know unless he used the graphite to lubricate some parts on his gun.I do use the graphite in a pencil to bubricate different parts on my guns and sprue plates and such.Once you get a coating going it is easy to maintain.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    An old trick to water proof matches was to dip them in airplane glue.the pencil I never have seen one like that one and what purpose it served I don't know unless he used the graphite to lubricate some parts on his gun.I do use the graphite in a pencil to bubricate different parts on my guns and sprue plates and such.Once you get a coating going it is easy to maintain.
    This is why the pencil may be needed.

https://youtu.be/d-OCKxSqTHw
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I too found matches in the buttstock of a Krag sporter I bought. They're still there. The only other thing I found was a picture of a woman, circa 1900, under the buttplate of a drilling. Unfortunately the last cartridge of the cartridge trap in the toe of the stock had removed her face. I always look as you never know what you might find.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    I too found matches in the buttstock of a Krag sporter I bought. They're still there. The only other thing I found was a picture of a woman, circa 1900, under the buttplate of a drilling. Unfortunately the last cartridge of the cartridge trap in the toe of the stock had removed her face. I always look as you never know what you might find.
    are you saying she had been "rubbed out"
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

My grandfathers family used to put their name on a piece of paper under the butt plate on their guns.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I've often heard the expression, "if this rifle could talk..." Well, this rifle can speak a little better than most.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master
    The very first 1892 Colt in 41LC that I bought was in poor shape. It had the original grips, though. I took them off when thoroughly cleaning the gun and found some scratching inside the grips. There was a name, the words Cripple Creek, and a date.

The date was about 6 to 9 months after the gun was built (based on the S/N). I had relatives that were going to gamble at Cripple Creek that summer. I asked them to check out the name. They went to the historical museum and asked. Turns out the name was from a foreman that worked there for a few years before a strike (from payroll records). There was a violent strike in the mines there and there was no record of the foreman after that. Interestingly, there were three small notches carved in the metal at the bottom of the handgrip.

There are a lot of possibilities with the given information.

Boolit Master
    The matches look like the old Eddy Match "Bluebird" matches. The ones I used to get were heavier duty than the "Redbird" type. I have not seen the Bluebird matches for likely over 35 years, but I can still buy the Redbird ones. That said, the new matches are much flimsier and weaker than the originals.
    R.D.M.

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    That said, the new matches are much flimsier and weaker than the originals.
    ...must be MIM.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master
    Ibought a old Winchester model 86 at a yard sale acouple years ago in excellet condition .50-110 with 3 boxes of org. western brand ammo also in excellent cond. all for only $50.00 bucks they were asking $100.00 but got em done to fifty.when I got home Ibroke it down to clean it and when Ilooked under the butt plate there was4 old but excellent cond. $1000.00 doller bills!!!...Iam a liar butt I can fantasize right never found anythig.

Wonder if that female panther ever go used to Ole Hatchet Jack.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I would put old hunting license in the butt of my guns. I had forgot about that until now. Wonder if I have any now?
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

I have an old gunsmith friend who gave me several 1920 and 30s hunting license he found in shotgun stocks.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Master
    It's possible the pencil found by the OP was there to be used to fill out a Pa. deer tag. Would work much better than trying to use a bullet tip to write with. Model 14 and 141's were popular deer rifles in Pa., maybe where his rifle came from.

The very first 1892 Colt in 41LC that I bought was in poor shape. It had the original grips, though. I took them off when thoroughly cleaning the gun and found some scratching inside the grips. There was a name, the words Cripple Creek, and a date.
    That story reminds me; I've got a S&W 66 that when I pulled the grips off had a SSN scratched into the r/s grip frame. I recall when the talk was to do that for ID purposes.

In Remembrance

If you were leaving a message using that pencil you had better not make any mistakes since there seems to be no eraser.Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast