WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WD-40 again

Banned

WD-40 again

Friend bought a MEC shotgun loader off Evil Bay. Mucked up bad and even rust on chrome plated. I got it clean and looks good, more work I hate so do NOT spray your tools or anything with that stuff.

Boolit Master

WD40 is good for displacing moisture, but as 44man says, there are better things for long-term protection. Personally, I like RIG.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    My father thought it was the be all end all, many cans left. Works good removing label remains, that is about all I use it for till it is all gone. Oh, and it's fun to smoke bugs with the red tube installed and a lighter!

Boolit Master
    RemOil is so much better.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

In Remembrance

Break Free.Robert

Banned

Its fish oil and some solvent to thin it out. I like it for certain things. Not really as a gun oil other than to clean it. I like to spray into the bore to help soften carbon a little.

Banned

it used to be fish oil and stuff.
    now it's just stuff and it leaves a brown oxidized crust behind.

it should be called wd-43 or something like that to denote the cheapened version they sell now at a much inflated price.

Boolit Grand Master

I use WD-40 a lot to clean with but do not use it as a preservative even though it says it is. After normal bore cleaning where the patches come out "clean" I always make an additional pass with a patch with WD-40 on it. You'd be amazed at the additional crud the WD-40 takes out. I follow that with a dry patch and then the bore is clean. If I put a preservative in the bore it is Kroil. On the outside I use LSA or Break-Free.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I always keep a couple of cans of it around for certain things but not for a preservative spray - if I'm going to oil something down I use RemOil, etc. I do like it for use on the farm for such things as gate padlocks - especially in the spring and fall - shoot it in to loosen things up if necessary and then follow with an oil spray of some kind.

I have also used it as a bore cleaner and it's amazing how much stuff comes out on the patch - but like Larry above - I always dry patch afterwards and then use a lightly oiled patch (usually RemOil) to run through the bore if the gun is going to be sitting for a while before being shot.

My family had a lumberyard and every so often, our hardware supplier used to do a promotion with WD40 - 2 cans for the price of 1, etc. We used to have an older fellow come in and buy a half dozen cans at a time. I asked him once what he did with it and he said he had a bum knee and he sprayed WD40 on it everyday and it helped . . and he wasn't kidding . . . his usual sidekick was with him and he confirmed he was telling the truth. To each their own . . . when he told me that I suggested he drill and tap his knee and install a grease zerk.

Boolit Buddy
    I use WD-40 in my parts washer and it does a great job.

In Remembrance

Terminology for name: Water Displacer Test #40 (WD-40).Robert

WD 40 or other competitive brands are always around and handy.
    However, you might consider keeping a dropper bottle oiler around with Ed's Red.
    I've found it does a much better job than WD-40 and has better residual lubrication as well.
    And, made by the gallon its no more expensive either.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master

Had a guy bring me a Model 700 Remington 7 mm Magnum that would drop the firing pin every time he closed the bolt. Took the action out of the stock, and the trigger assembly/sear was gummed up. Sprayed it out with starting fluid/ether, lightly oiled, and it worked perfect.

Asked the guy what he used to clean his rifle with, "I just spray it down real good with WD-40."

I told him you are lucky the rifle even stays zeroed, and to keep the WD-40 away from the scope rings.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned

When it first came out, I had a lot of wood working machines with painted bases. They would get dusty so I sprayed and wiped with WD-40. Next time to clean I found all were rusty.
    I had to free up many bolt gun firing pins that stuck from using the stuff--YEAH, farmers that bought it in 55 gal drums to ruin field machines.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Worst stuff invented by man. Horrible ZERO lubricant properties. Says it eliminate squeaks.....so does water!. Or paint thinner. I do not allow the stuff in the shops.

There are many excellent penetrating/lube/cleaners available in wasteful (yet convenient for weekend handymen) spray cans or in bulk liquid form.

The stuff ranks down there in the basement with 3-in-1 oil!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    A can of WD40 around is a disaster waiting to happen. Too easy for someone to get helpful and spray it on something I love. and with so many really good products.

Marvel Mystery Oil has an addictive smell and is a good product.

Maybe there should be WD40 Patches and Gum for guys who can't get off the stuff.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Used some tonight to lube/free a "door ajar" switch on my daily driver, beats replacing the latch. I keep a can around in case I get caught in a shower (or storm) with a hunting rifle. I'll wipe the gun down, warm it up a bit, and hose it down with WD-40. Then I finish the hunt. When I get home it gets detail stripped, cleaned and lubed.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

WD 40 works well to clean roof tar and some kinds of really sticky caulk off your hands. I have heard of people using it to wash their fishing lures before they use them.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    I use it and have been using on my guns and other things for the last 41 years.
    I've never had any of these problems reported here.
    IMO - complete nonsense, if all the stories here were true I wouldn't have a single gun that was operable and rust free.
    WD40 is a bit of a cleaner and crud cutter, and also good for helping things break loose.
    I use WD40 for what it is good for, and I use other lubricants for lubricating, other protectants for storage, and penetrating stuff for penetrating.
    WD40 has some good all around uses and has served me well over the years.
    I especially love it as a crud blaster when cleaning my guns.
    I have cans stationed all over the house, garage, and basement.
    Call me a WD40 fanboy if you like.

Boolit Bub
    I use Ballistol rather than WD40 around the shop. It is good at removing rust, preventing rust, and does a descent job cleaning gun barrels.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast