Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: First Chrstmas without...

Boolit Grand Master

First Chrstmas without...

How do you handle the first Christmas (or other holiday) without a loved one? When my dad passed on several years ago I tried setting an extra place at the table. That didn't work out because folks come out of the woodwork when I'm cooking. My mom passed on earlier this year and in recent years she has given cash in cute little packages or tins. As executor of her estate I'm hoping to continue her tradition but certain banks, investment brokers and NASDAQ are spoiling the party.
    This year I get to experience Christmas thru the eyes of my great-nephews. I believe in all of her 79 years my mom viewed Christmas thru the eyes of a child, I think this is key to enjoying the wonder of Christmas.

So, what do you do to move forward during the holiday season after losing a family member? Many of us have experienced a loss this year and would like to know how to honor our recently and dearly departed without an empty feeling.
    My sister had a great idea. My mom is buried in a new section of a local cemetery and a little fir tree was recently planted near her headstone. Sis decorated the tree with silver and blue ribbons, bows and a skirt.
    Something in my eye, can't type any more. Good night and God bless.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

You have my sympathies for your loss. The little pkg of money was it her way of saying I don't know what you buy you but I love you so buy something you really want?

One of the things we do is donate to charities all year long, At Xmas we tend to do a little extra for the tribes and homeless. At one point my folks would bring home a service person who was alone away from home during the holiday's for a home cooked meal.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Little packet of cash was because she was unable in recent yearsto undertake extended shopping trips and our entire family is difficult to shop for. A little cash after Christmas is a wonderful thing, lol. In recent years all I really want or need is socks and underwear. She would put a note in with the cash about socks and underwear and we'd have a little laugh about it. I support our local charities and the last of her clothes and other items went to Friends of the Family, a local charity that helps women and children displaced by domestic violence. I've seen their work first-hand, good folks.
    My dad was a college professor and sometimes during the holidays we'd host a student who was unable to travel home or whatever reason(s). I've continued that tradition, a few college students have found their way to my holiday dinner table or other times during the year.
    I think charitable giving is down a bit this year, think I'll give a little extra in the next few days.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the post,your mom was a sightful person.God bless you and your family.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    6 years since my mom passed. She passed just a few days before Thanksgiving and 5+ weeks before Christmas. Holidays were pretty strange that year. Mom lived with us for her last 7 years, so there were things of hers still around the house and that helped to give the feeling that she was in a small way, still with us.

For some strange reason my mother-in-law seems to like me, even though I speak very little Japanese and she speaks very little English. She'll be here tomorrow and will stay with us for a couple of months. A bit stressful for Mrs. smokeywolf, but I enjoy her presence.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    They are not really gone as long as you have fond memories of them!

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    ^^^ This ^^^ always in you heart!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    When I was young I never understood why the old folks acted a little sad at Christmas. Now I know they were remembering Christmas' past and the people who were no longer with us. My mom will always be with me; I have her china, cabinet, dining table & chairs and a few other things around here.
    Screw the bankers! I'm going to write checks to all her heirs anyway. Wish it could be more but I truly love the check-writing part of being an executor.