MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Strength of Magtech brass shotshell cases?

Boolit Master

Strength of Magtech brass shotshell cases?

Has anyone used used the MagTech brass shotshell cases for high (higher than shotgun) pressure loads? How strong are they?

In a suitably strong action I wonder how much pressure they would support. 20k? 25k? 30k? even 35k?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    Has anyone used used the MagTech brass shotshell cases for high (higher than shotgun) pressure loads? How strong are they?

In a suitably strong action I wonder how much pressure they would support. 20k? 25k? 30k? even 35k?
    BAGTIC,

Good - but potentially an extremely dangerous question! If I am not mistaken, the case contributes very little (relatively) in the pressure retention in modern firearms.

I am NOT saying zero contribution, just an unreliable and probably unmeasurable amount (by laymen).

I believe that the case primarily "seals" the clearance areas in a firearm. It would seem to me that shotguns just do not have the absolute physical strength to prevent a brass case from massively deforming at pressures you mention.

Now if you took a firearm designed to contain these pressures - and chambered it for your shotshell - that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Hmmmmmm... Mahaps I (or we, collectively), could do a little more research. Some of the H&Rs and others with interchangeable barrels might indicate my lack of knowledge on this subject?

Vic
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master
    Many double rifles in big bore calibers have been and are being still being built on shotgun actions.

The case contributes a great deal to pressure retention whether in rifles or shotguns, that is why a case failure, especially a head separation, can be so catastrophic.

An action suited for 12 gauge ammo can withstand bolt thriust equivalent to pressures 36% greater when chambered to 20 dimensions, or 52% greater in 24 gauge (approximately) .577 rifle cartridges. If using a 10 gauge action the respective increases would be 52% and 70 %.

H&R shotguns are chambered for rifle cartriges in the 63,000+ psi class which corresponds to a 12 gauge loaded to 21,000 psi or a .577 (24 gauge) loaded to 31,850.

Slug Master in Remembrance
    Modern shotguns can take more pressure than factory
    plastic cases loads, but Magtech brass isn't any stronger
    than the weakest plastic cases. They are of balloon head
    construction. Nowhere any good for anything over 20,000 psi.
    Brass that is good for higher pressures is made by
    RMC and others with thick heads.Ed

What kind of pressures are the guys who are turning 24Ga magtech brass into 577/450 Martini henry cases running? Just something to think about
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    IIRC the guys using magtech 24 ga brass to make 577/450 for MH's are all using BP as powder.

Don't know what pressures though.