Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid Lever gun options in 45 Colt?

Boolit Buddy

Solid Lever gun options in 45 Colt?

How's it going everyone, Happy Holidays.

I wanted to get input here on a solid 45 Colt lever action? Are the Marlins good in this caliber, or still preferable to find a JM stamp rifle for this as well?

What's out there at what price point and things to look for? Help a young guy out in transitioning to a lever gun

Thanks for your time
    FM

I have 3 rifles in 45 Colt The first is a Marlin Cowboy Limited that I wouldn't trade for the world. It is a JM and I use it as my main match gun for cowboy shooting. As far as accuracy goes with open sights I can print a 3" group at 100 yards with my cast 250 grain boolets. I also have an older Rossi 92' this is the rifle that came with the half octagon to round barrel it was made sometime around 99' It is a pretty good shooter, but it took a bit to make it run smooth, after some work it turned out to be a great gun. The third is a Winchester 94AE, it handles good but the chamber is big on it, I mainly use it as a light bush gun and let the kids shoot it for fun. It is a real nice handy rifle but I think it is my least favorite of the three.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks so same story look for a JM marlin..... got it.........

What do you plan to do with it? The Rossi is a pretty good little rifle, I really love the look and feel of the early pre safety models. Not to mention it'll cost half what the Marlin will cost.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    What do you plan to do with it? The Rossi is a pretty good little rifle, I really love the look and feel of the early pre safety models. Not to mention it'll cost half what the Marlin will cost.
    General Range time, and sometimes through the woods. Something to keep in the back of the jeep too when we go off roading.

If you're not planning to scope it I'd look for a Rossi. My Marlin has Ballard rifling I'm not sure but i think the carbines are micro groove.

Boolit Buddy
    I was considering the rossi, but ran across a thread here saying you need to pay close attention to the importer as they're not all created equal and locally I haven't found any to get my hands on, so if I order online who knows what will arrive at the FFL........

Very true. If you're thinking about using the hotter loads that are out there. I use the same loads in my Rugers and all three of the rifles. they seem to work well. Brass life in that Winchester 94 is greatly reduced due to its chamber.

Banned
    I have a new Rossi '92 in 45 Colt. It is a blued receiver with a 24" octagon barrel. It is accurate and strong. But I would not want to hump it around the hills or use it as a truck gun. It is heavy.

I would look at a Rossi '92 with a 20" round barrel. Don't buy it sight unseen if you can help it. Buy it at a retailer where you can look it over for a long time.

Pay particular attention to the barrel alignment and the sights. Make sure they are straight and not crooked due to the barrel being over-torqued.

Although I love my Rossi, you should know that Rossi customer service is non-existent. If I had time I would bore you to tears with the story of my first Rossi '92.

I'm on the same quest. I have been looking seriously at the Henry Big Boy Steel.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I can tell you that if you find an early model Rossi, buy it. I have owned several of the pre safety models and after tuning them up for cowboy matches, they are great guns. The rifles made by Rossi for Navy Arms, LSI, Interarms, (I'm forgetting someone) are some of the best made. They have deep bluing and American Walnut stocks. I've used them in cowboy matches and never had one stop or cause problems.
    I prefer the 44wcf models as I shoot black powder cartridges and it's by far the best cartridge for that type of shooting. The case design allows complete sealing of the chamber and you don't have the blow-back like you do with the 45 Colt cases. You may anneal the case mouths on the 45 Colt to help out with this problem but it's still there.
    These rifles sell for hundreds of dollars less than the Marlins. They are a lot lighter and make for a much better truck rifle. As far as killing goes, I will venture to say that the 44wcf has killed more deer and other small game than the 45 Colt. The reason being that the 45 Colt was never made in a lever action rifle until present times because of the case design. The original 45 Colt had no rim for a extractor to work with. Look on Gun Broker as you may find your deal there. Just stay away from the Rossi, Puma models made in Italy as they were made by Armi San Marco and the parts are made of soft steel and the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired. Good Luck, David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

The rossi is what you seek. It'll handle the big boy loads just fine and has reasonable accuracy. If a scope is necessary, NOE just cut a bunch of scout mounts for the 92.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyston44 View Post
    I'm on the same quest. I have been looking seriously at the Henry Big Boy Steel.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/

Key
    Yes. What about the Henry? There rimfire rifles get very good reviews.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    I don't even look at the henry rifles, because they don't have a loading gate, I did not like the tube loading feature on their big bore lever actions.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    I don't even look at the henry rifles, because they don't have a loading gate, I did not like the tube loading feature on their big bore lever actions.
    Precisely why I took them off of my list as well.

I've had two marlins, a Win and Rossi. Marlin Cowboy was my favorite overall. My favorite truck, ATV and trail pack was Marlin 20" with ghost ring sight set up. Rossi was a fair value and decent accuracy. The Win was OK, but I sold it. I came across deal on 5,000 45 JHP and never tried cast in the Rossi, Win or Marlin carbine. Cowboy was cast only. I think research the weight, barrel length, and sight option be best.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post

I was considering the rossi, but ran across a thread here saying you need to pay close attention to the importer as they're not all created equal and locally I haven't found any to get my hands on, so if I order online who knows what will arrive at the FFL.......

Your fears are quite groundless, since what you've read may have been taken out of context............... also considering that for the past several years there's been only a single importer - the Rossi Gun Co (Amadeo Rossi )which has been importing their Model 92 through their partner/subsidiary Braz-Tech/Taurus.

Let me tell you a tale of The Model 1892/92 rifles(carbines)..............

Once upon a time, only Winchester New Haven made first the Model 1892, nd then the Model 92, to around WWII (IIRC).

In the 1950's, the Spanish made a .44-40 (only) clone (ElTigre).

Then, Rossi started making Model 92's, as they do to this day.

At some point in Rossi's production, Rossi branded a portion of their production, as per a contract with a US import firm (Legacy Sports Inc/LSI), with the trademarked brand name owned by LSI, "PUMA".

After the Rossi/LSI contract expired, Rossi started US imports directly & through the Braz-Tech/Taurus operation; and much later, LSI licensed an Italian firearms manufacturer (now Chiappa) the use of their trademarked "PUMA" name on (at first) Italian Model 92's, then later on Italian Model 71's & Model 1886/86 clones.

Then Winchester, now owned by FN Herstal / Browning (who've been making Winchester Model 1886, 86 & 92 clones at their Japanese subsidiary (Miroku Gun Co), is importing "Winchester" branded tang-safety Model 92's from Japan.

The gist is:

The best value (for the money) today is a Rossi Model 92 @ approx. $500 ( +/-).

The Italian Model 92's will cost about 2x the Rossi's cost, but (lately) better workmanship, must better final finish(s), and more barrel/cartridge config choices for your money.

The new Miroku Model 92's ("new", because Miroku made M-92's with the Browning name 25-odd years ago) have (arguably) the best finish(s), definitely the best workmanship, in only select chamberings/configs, AND with the tang-type lawyer safety - at much more money than the Italian Puma's.

Caveat: While a Rossi will give the best bang of your bucks (pun intended), one may/may not (both of mine did not) need a bit of caressing before they will feed like grease through a goose - and the wood is painfully plain (a + in a truck gun)

Good luck with whatever your choice may be.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Your fears are quite groundless, since what you've read may have been taken out of context............... also considering that for the past several years there's been only a single importer - the Rossi Gun Co (Amadeo Rossi )which has been importing their Model 92 through their partner/subsidiary Braz-Tech/Taurus.

Let me tell you a tale of The Model 1892/92 rifles(carbines)..............

Once upon a time, only Winchester New Haven made first the Model 1892, nd then the Model 92, to around WWII (IIRC).

In the 1950's, the Spanish made a .44-40 (only) clone (ElTigre).

Then, Rossi started making Model 92's, as they do to this day.

At some point in Rossi's production, Rossi branded a portion of their production, as per a contract with a US import firm (Legacy Sports Inc/LSI), with the trademarked brand name owned by LSI, "PUMA".

After the Rossi/LSI contract expired, Rossi started US imports directly & through the Braz-Tech/Taurus operation; and much later, LSI licensed an Italian firearms manufacturer (now Chiappa) the use of their trademarked "PUMA" name on (at first) Italian Model 92's, then later on Italian Model 71's & Model 1886/86 clones.

Then Winchester, now owned by FN Herstal / Browning (who've been making Winchester Model 1886, 86 & 92 clones at their Japanese subsidiary (Miroku Gun Co), is importing "Winchester" branded tang-safety Model 92's from Japan.

The gist is:

The best value (for the money) today is a Rossi Model 92 @ approx. $500 ( +/-).

The Italian Model 92's will cost about 2x the Rossi's cost, but (lately) better workmanship, must better final finish(s), and more barrel/cartridge config choices for your money.

The new Miroku Model 92's ("new", because Miroku made M-92's with the Browning name 25-odd years ago) have (arguably) the best finish(s), definitely the best workmanship, in only select chamberings/configs, AND with the tang-type lawyer safety - at much more money than the Italian Puma's.

Caveat: While a Rossi will give the best bang of your bucks (pun intended), one may/may not (both of mine did not) need a bit of caressing before they will feed like grease through a goose - and the wood is painfully plain (a + in a truck gun)

Good luck with whatever your choice may be.

Thanks for the very informative post.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    I can tell you that if you find an early model Rossi, buy it. I have owned several of the pre safety models and after tuning them up for cowboy matches, they are great guns. The rifles made by Rossi for Navy Arms, LSI, Interarms, (I'm forgetting someone) are some of the best made. They have deep bluing and American Walnut stocks. I've used them in cowboy matches and never had one stop or cause problems.
    I prefer the 44wcf models as I shoot black powder cartridges and it's by far the best cartridge for that type of shooting. The case design allows complete sealing of the chamber and you don't have the blow-back like you do with the 45 Colt cases. You may anneal the case mouths on the 45 Colt to help out with this problem but it's still there.
    These rifles sell for hundreds of dollars less than the Marlins. They are a lot lighter and make for a much better truck rifle. As far as killing goes, I will venture to say that the 44wcf has killed more deer and other small game than the 45 Colt. The reason being that the 45 Colt was never made in a lever action rifle until present times because of the case design. The original 45 Colt had no rim for a extractor to work with. Look on Gun Broker as you may find your deal there. Just stay away from the Rossi, Puma models made in Italy as they were made by Armi San Marco and the parts are made of soft steel and the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired. Good Luck, David
    The 45 Colt handgun round was a proprietary round developed and patented by Colt for the Army and Colt never gave permission to other companies to chamber any guns for it. That included S&W, Winchester, and later Marlin....so the 44-40 became the revolver/rifle classic. That plus maybe the rim thing you mentioned.

Banned

You can get around those fat chambers in the Winchester 94's by just sizing only the portion of the case that is going to hold the bullet....in other words neck sizing. It's nice to get the case centered on the first firing and one method is to wrap the head area of it that doesn't expand with thin strips of Scotch Tape to just let it slip in the chamber. Then after that you're good to go with just the neck sizing. Even though they have fat chambers I find the Winchesters to be very accurate.