Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lubing Bevel-Base boolits in a Lyman Lubrisizer

Boolit Master

Lubing Bevel-Base boolits in a Lyman Lubrisizer

I recently got a great price on a Lyman 4 cavity bevel-base 9mm mold, and it just occurred to me that I will have a problem with lube in the bevel. I've never had a bevel base mold, so I've never had this problem.

Any bright ideas?

Christopher Dingell
    Trenton, Michigan

Boolit Buddy

I run lots of .45acp SWC BB, what you have to do is get a styrofoam meat tray (the ones a steak or hamburger comes in), and run it though your resizer. It will leave a disc on the bottom which will act as a seal for your bevel. If it starts leaking, just punch another one through. Sometimes I get over a hundred though before it starts picking up lube, and other times only a few.

Super Moderator

............Another way is to place a 35 cal GC under the boolit (cup up) as if you were trying to GC it. On occassion the GC will come out. Since it isn't sized on, it comes off easy and just stick it back in the die and continue. Depending on how big the BB is you might not have any issue anyway. I have the Lyman 147gr mould with a small BB and not enough lube collects there to be a problem. Besides, tests in the 38 Super and just using Lee TL has it doing good work anyway.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Chris,

I use a rubber O-ring. Takes a few until you get the correct size, but it seems to stay in the die and fills the space which is all you are trying to do.

Boolit Master

NuJudge - I don't think you are going to have much of a problem. I have a 4 cavity 356637 BB mould and I don't get enough lube on the bevel to worry about. I've got a couple other .35 caliber BB moulds that are the same way.

I have a .45 cal BB mould that leaves a lot of lube on the bevel. Like Buckshot I use a gas check only I put the GC in the die cup down. The GC conforms to the base of the bullet and seems to stay in the die better. Once in a while it will stick to the base of a boolit but not very often.
    Chuck

Boolit Mold
    Sorry to revive an "old" thread but does anyone know of a place to obtain the gaschecks in anything less than 1000. I have a BB .45 cal and I want to try it before I go out and buy 1000. I would hate for it not to work for me and I have a 1000 of them.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Stepbyrd, measure your bevel base at the very bottom. If it is equal to 0.426 or very slightly smaller, the Hornady checks will work. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Bub
    I have also had the same problem with my Lyman 450 and the Lee 120fn 9mm bullet. I have a small o-wrench that fits the pressure rod of the Lyman. I place a bullet in the die and size it, while it's down there I apply lube. I simply turn the wrench about a quarter turn and then back it off. Push the handle up and it's done. The trick to it is to make sure that the lube holes in the die don't line up with the bevel. If it does, I fill them with epoxy. If I need the die for another project, the epoxy will drill out very easy with the right size drill bit.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

lube on bases.

When I load my lubesized boolits I have a strong piece of brown paper folded over next to the press. As I pick them up, I wipe the bases before seating them in the cases. Never worried too much, but never stoored ammo long before shooting.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I take the pin out of the size die and cut a conterbore in it to match the angle and depth of the BB on the bullet, Works great.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

My Saecco mold drops a 200 gr LSWC with a bevel base. I have found just wiping the boolits base off on a piece of cloth and have had no problems. What little lube collects on the bevel base seems not to effect performance. I store my lubed boolits in old .45acp plastic cases pending loading.

Take Care
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"